Light-O-Rama Forums

I've done something wrong and I can't figure out what. (DMX no worky)

EvilM0nkey

I submitted a support ticket and got less than helpful advice.

I have previously had DMX operating on my current system and setup. Something has changed to prevent it from working and I can't figure out what it is.
I am using a USB485 dongle with the RJ45 to XLR adapter from LOR.
I have also confirmed the devices are in DMX mode. When I unplug the XLR cable they resume automatic operation, the same applies when I unplug the USB from the computer.

The listener window indicates "connection accepted", the network preferences are set to the correct adapter and is set for RAW DMX.
However when I go to test the devices with Lights Up, I get "No DMX USB devices available" I know in the past it worked fine. I'm not sure what has changed.

I can't operate DMX devices with LOR or Lights up.

I'm sure it's a setting but I don't know which one.

The way I'm reading your post it sounds like you have two different software programs trying to control the equipment at the same time.

*shrug*

That sounds familiar lol.

When I used it before I was able to use Lights up to find the settings I want and write it all over to use in LOR. The programs have nothing to do with each other.

As I said, it did work before. I'm just not sure why it doesn't now.

Think of it as using the sliders on a console and then running a programmed sequence.

Neither of them work independently.

Edited by EvilM0nkey

The way I'm reading your post it sounds like you have two different software programs trying to control the equipment at the same time.

*shrug*

Which is what the less than helpful help desk person (me) told him too :)

• Like 1

Are you connecting non lor DMX products to the lor usb485 if so you need a crossover cable.

Normal DMX over cat5 is wired using the orange and orange/white Cat5 cables. LOR uses blue and blue/white for their RS485 DMX. 

The OP says they are using a cat5 to XLR adapter from LOR, so I guess that it is made to go with LOR's way of wiring things using blue and blue/white.

It sounds more like a software problem.

Normal DMX over cat5 is wired using the orange and orange/white Cat5 cables. LOR uses blue and blue/white for their RS485 DMX. 

The OP says they are using a cat5 to XLR adapter from LOR, so I guess that it is made to go with LOR's way of wiring things using blue and blue/white.

It sounds more like a software problem.

Yea it could be. I suppose I could try to Uninstall and reinstall.

The advice for this setup came from this forum in the first place so I'm not sure why the tune has changed. I can't go back far enough in my content to find the posts anymore. I remember I had a hard time getting it to work in the first place but I did something and it worked great after that.

• The topic was locked