Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon 16 daisy chaining

vdipaola73

The new enhanced buss is only available with S4. I don't know how it works yet. I think its something we turn on. I've not yet investigated.

The new enhanced buss is only available with S4. I don't know how it works yet. I think its something we turn on. I've not yet investigated.

Well if that is the case, I guess I will wait until the Christmas season is over before I upgrade to S4. I have everything finished for this coming season and I don't want to take a chance of messing the show up by upgrading now.

Thanks

The Pixcon 16, however you do it (LOR RS485 or E1.31) requires Advanced or Pro.

If you don't want to go pro, then use it on E1.31, which is acctually better than using it on RS485.

I have just ordered a Pixcon16 to use with my G3director. I currently have S3 advanced license.

Can I run this way?

I have just ordered a Pixcon16 to use with my G3director. I currently have S3 advanced license.

Can I run this way?

No.

1 - G3 director outputs LOR not E1.31, so you must use LOR

2 - S3 does not support enhanced, only S4 Pro does.

Pixel Greenhorn here.... Is there a spec sheet available on the Pixcon16 ?  I am asking in that I am currently building 9ea, ~5' Trees.  Each tree will have 150-210 Pixels depending on final configuration (using pixel node strips).  (1350-1890 Pixels total) I am planning on running in E1.31, so based on what I am reading from DevMike, , it is possible to run ~200 nodes per channel with room to spare... Now to my question/comment. 

From what I see on the pixel specs, a 50CT string @ full white is ~ 3A. So theoretically, all (150) on white would draw ~9A.  I am just curious as the other boards I have seen out there have a MAX amps/SPI = 3-7 amps ea, etc. 

Just concerned as I do have some white all on in the sequences...   Can the PixCon16 manage that draw for short bursts ? 

Thanks. 

So DevMike, I just need to upgrade to S4 Pro and run all controllers in enhanced mode and all is well?

I also have 6 standard CTB16PC LOR controllers and 3 CMB24 controllers running dumb RGB. Do I need to load new firmware into all these controllers to accept enhanced mode?

Vince,

If you have Gen 1 or Gen 2 controllers (like I do), you will not be able to use enhanced mode.  In my case, I have two networks for year round - one has all the controllers that CAN use enhanced and a second network that has the controllers that CAN'T use enhanced mode.  For Christmas I add a third network which for 2015 will be enhanced and only has six strings of CCPs on it.

The easy way is that Gen 3 have a green LED for the power / status indication, Gen 1 & 2 have a red LED.

So DevMike, I just need to upgrade to S4 Pro and run all controllers in enhanced mode and all is well?

I also have 6 standard CTB16PC LOR controllers and 3 CMB24 controllers running dumb RGB. Do I need to load new firmware into all these controllers to accept enhanced mode?

And have a G3 director that can output ELOR, and all controllers on that network must be able to understand ELOR, and all those controllers must be able to run at 500K.

Again, you have to answer YES to all of these questions to run a Pixcon 16 on an LOR NETWORK:

1 - Can the software run LOR Enhanced?

REQUIRES S4 PRO.  No Exceptions.

2 - Can all the controllers on this NETWORK understand LOR Enhanced?  

MUST BE G3 devices with current firmware (G3 AC/CMB24/Pixcon 16/Cosmic Color are all G3 devices)

3 - Can all the controllers on this NETWORK understand 500K or 1000K?  

500K are same devices in #2 above, 1000K=Pixcon 16s ONLY.  MUST RUN AT LEAST 500K with Pixcon 16.  Does NOT RUN at lower speeds.

Using a Director:

4A - It must ALSO SUPPORT LOR Enhanced and 500K

G3 Directors ONLY.  uMP3 not recommended.  Most recent firmware.  OK to run G3MP3 dual port with one port at 500/1000 enhanced and the other port with NON enhanced/Lower speed.  See 2 and 3 above

4B - SD card MUST be created with 'Enhanced' option turned ON

Again, S4 ONLY

Using a Computer

4A -Must use HIGH SPEED USB ADAPTER(s)

Red adapters ONLY.  Must run AT LEAST 500K.  ONLY Pixcon16s at 1000K.  See 2 and 3 above.

4B - Networks MUST be defined as enhanced

S4 ONLY

Another easy way to tell if an AC controller is G3 or not:   Hook it up and find it with the HWU.  Does the controller name have G3 in it?  

Thanks DevMike. That is what I needed to know

I will upgrade to S4 and Pro after this season is over. Then I can plan for next year.

Thanks DevMike for that post. That is a help. I already have S4-Pro. I won't be having the new Pixcon this season anyways & I believe I can still get away with using my Gen 3 MP3 Director unit for this season. I ran 12 ccrs & 4 CCP controllers last season & 6 regular AC controllers without an issue. Except this year I am adding another six more CCP controllers.

Thanks again for the post. Helps folks like us that use the Gen 3 MP3 player

• 2 months later...