Light-O-Rama Forums

Wireless DMX

CLD Kevin

Look for suggestion on DMX Wireless units. The area consist of 8 locations in a 200x200 area. It has to be done with wireless....no running wires across the concrete. No possible way to tunnel under between locations. The location is a hotel patio/pool/garden area which is heavily congested with wifi and cell phones. Only needs to be 1 universe...actually only about 250chs. Each location will drop out about 30 or so channels. Most of the wireless DMX I've seen are 2.4G and very popular freq with wifi and cell so wondering if I would get interference? These will be permanent and could install in small weather boxes.

Now I know there is some really high end wireless that cost thousands of dollars….way out of budget. This is not for a concert venue, Just need something that reliable and work will under these conditions. Interference is a big concern.

Here is a couple units I’m looking at.

Donner Stick Wireless units. These look very simple and easy to use however…not sure on the reliability and interference. Have lots of good reviews but mainly for in door events for DJ gigs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWM6DCS/ref=dra_a_rv_mr_hn_it_P1250_1000?&tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=eab2d7ffa7d2969ae0c6e37888128605_S

Chauvet DFI. Also has good reviews. Cost is more ($100ea) but seems like a better unit. These are transceivers

http://www.amazon.com/Chauvet-Lighting-DFIHUB-Stage-Controller/dp/B00MBUVS30/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1438582239&sr=1-1&keywords=chauvet+wireless+dmx

ADJ WiFly. Also a Transceiver and both AC and battery operated. Battery op is no needed. Cost $130ea http://www.amazon.com/ADJ-Products-wifly-battery-Transceiver/dp/B00NUJ5E7M/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1438583521&sr=1-1&keywords=WiFly

Thanks, Kevin

I dont know if it is exactly what yer looking for with it being year round, but the Komby stuff is really good and can transmit at a very high baud rate. As far as boards go you could run some MiniRens, they are only 8 on each board but they are small and compact, Or you could go with a 32 channel main board and run SSR's off of it.

The lights/floods are already in place and has built-in DMX.....so I'll I need to do is get the signal to the locations.

WiFi and Mobile phones are unlikely to interfere (And by interfere I mean stop signals getting to the receiver) , but they could. I think it is more likely you interfere with phones and audio equipment than they interfere with you. DMX is small signals, and multiple signals are sent every second. One of them at least will get through.

The American DJ wireless stuff is very good, but more intended for theater and DJ use. Check Ebay, and 

Earnest's Store

It may be badly written/translated (Quite funny) but he has some very good stuff and lots of wireless DMX equipment at different prices. Email him, don't order through the website.

Also try Ray Wu.

2.4GHZ still could cause problems. If you find one that can be changed or is on a different frequency then you should get it.

Could you setup an access point and bridge from one side of concrete to the other?

My experience is only with e1.31 not raw dmx so excuse me if that is in left field.

Edited by sticks4legs

Could you setup an access point and bridge from one side of concrete to the other?

My experience is only with e1.31 not raw dmx so excuse me if that is in left field.

Good idea, but may have problems, and is expensive.

I have had bad experiences with WiFi though. When just testing the other day, the lag between my Surface Pro and my Pixlite4 is so annoying, and the pixels sometimes freeze for a few seconds. 

WiFi should have little interferance, unless there are loads of other networks.

• The topic was locked