Light-O-Rama Forums

100 pixel arch

CLD Kevin

Sorry if this info is out there....can't find anything searching from phone. I'm looking for a 100 pixel arch. My free hand drawing using CCR wizard looks like a 4yr did it. I rather keep it as CCP or CCR so it's only consider a single prop....if possible. Unfortunately the arch wizard only allows up to 50 pixels. Thanks!!

Kevin

Error message....File Version is as incompatible for this application. I'm still on S3. Was this for S4?

Oops sorry. Yes it was.  

Here's how to do it and not look like a 4yr old.

Just create a new file, create an arch, it doesn't have to be 100, and size it really big on your screen. Now select the "CCR Draw Wizard".

In assuming your arch goes from left to right, click on the first pixel of the picture. follow the curve of the arch in small increments as shown in this drawing. Arch Pattern.pdf  I separated the lines to show how it's done, however, drawing this in the Visualizer will be continuous click, drag, click drag etc.

At the top of the arch, double click and create the first CCR with 50 pixels. Then do the same with the right side, starting from where you left off on the first one. Now, just combine the 2 into a prop.

I whipped up a quick video to show how I did it. sorry for the pause at the beginning. I was un-decisive on how exactly I was going to create the tracing arch. video has a few glitches, don't know what happened there.

http://vimeo.com/135121040

Although this is done in S4, it will work in S3 too.

Ron....you are too kind!!

It was about midnight when I tried your file....which didn't work. So funny thing is I did exactly what you stated. I created an arch and then used the CCR wizard to trace it out, except I traced the whole arch and called it 100 pixels. It auto split it into 2 ccrs. Now it doesn't look a 4yr old did it. Don't know why I didn't think of t sooner.

Ok, first spend $30 and go to S4 if you haven't, and then you can have a 170 pixel fixture for DMX.   ;)  Create a 1x100, 2x50, or however else you want it directly.

Second, Even with CCRs why do you guys always make things more complicated than they need to be? :D

1 - Create 10x10 CCR arch using arch wizard (or 2x50,4x25,5x20,20x5,25x4,50x2.  All those come out to 100 pixels)

2 - When asked, say 'Create Minimum number of fixtures'.  You'll get 2 fixtures with 50 CCR pixels each.

3 - Select correct network/unit on Fixtures CCR1 and Fixture CCR2.

Really.  10 seconds.  Looks like an arch.  Creates 2 fixtures,1 prop.  

What's that?  You want Pixel 1 at the top for both halves?  (or possibly you want pixel 50 at top of both halves.  Whatever).

1 - Create the EXACT same 10x10 arch as above.

2 - Select the fixture on the side that needs to be flipped

3 - Drag a corner across itself to 'mirror' the fixture

4 - Grab the rotation handle and rotate 90 degrees.

That adds another 10 seconds, IF you want to do it that way.

You can use the split thing for pretty much ANY CCR qty pixel arch, except for arches with 53 59 61 67 71 73 79 83 89 97 101 103 107 109 113 127 131 137 139 149 151 157 163 or 167 pixels.  If you are set on picking a prime number, I'll be set on telling you to add or subtract a single pixel.

The reason I didn't do it that way, was, I thought it would only allow 50 pixels. I didn't know it would auto create 2 CCRs into 1 arch. I tried it your way Mike and yes, it took all of about 4 seconds to create a 100 Pixel arch.

Thanks for the tip

The reason I didn't do it that way, was, I thought it would only allow 50 pixels. I didn't know it would auto create 2 CCRs into 1 arch. I tried it your way Mike and yes, it took all of about 4 seconds to create a 100 Pixel arch.

Thanks for the tip

It's 'Pixels per SEGMENT', not 'Pixels per ARCH'.  

The fixture creation at the end is really dependent on how you want it done.  Maybe you cut your CCRs into 10 pixel strips, and so you go with a 10x10 and let it create 10 fixtures (1 fixture per segment).  Then wire the first 5 pixels to the same network/unit (adding 10 to the pixel number each time).  When you get to fixture 6, change the network and/or the unit ID, and start over with pixel 1.

The simple rule is this when it comes to pixels either CCR or DMX in S4:

The MAXIMUM number of pixels a single fixture can contain is the maximum number that a physical device can contain - 50 (or 170 for DMX), while starting at channel 1.  How you split those pixels across multiple different fixtures is really left up to you.  

If you want to use a LOWER maximum, that is up to you. 

The rules are simple.  No more than 50 for a CCR on a single Network/unit ID, no more than 170 for a DMX Pixel Universe on a single universe, all devices must contain Pixel 1.

So, if we are talking DMX Pixel Universes, maybe you use 50 pixel strips, and the most that a single universe can hold is 3 strips.  How you divide up those 150 pixels is up to you.  Maybe you create 1 fixture with all 150 pixels - that represents the entire universe.  Maybe you create 3 fixtures each with 50 pixels (and where they are all on the same universe, and #2 starts at pixel 51 and #3 starts at pixel 101) since that is what you physically have.  Maybe you create 10 fixtures of 15 pixels each (which means a fixture in the Visualizer is actually going to span 2 strips at some points).  Maybe you create 7 fixtures with different pixel quantities - since you have 7 different things you decorate and you want each thing to be a fixture.  As long as you follow the 2 rules (max, pix 1) you are golden.

Wizards want to evenly split things up.  After all, they are wizards and don't take kindly to randomness, so the 7 fixtures thing won't work:)  But just because they want to evenly split things does not mean you can't leverage that to do your bidding.  

Freedom of choice is what you got

Freedom from choice is what you want

https://youtu.be/dVGINIsLnqU