Light-O-Rama Forums

Text on Matrix

dougd

20 minutes ago, bobschm said:

I was good with the first 2 groups. When I added the third group something went goofy. It all works with every effect except text. That third group of ten runs the text mirrored backwards. It actually scrolls reversed text right, despite being set up just like all the others to scroll normally left. I checked universes and channel numbers and I'm stumped. Especially since the anomaly is restricted to text only. Every other effect works beautifully.

Sorry, I'm zero help on this b/c I don't know enough about text effects in Super Star (if that's the software you're using).  My backward problem was caused by me b/c in Visualizer, I had selected "Reverse Order in SuperStar" in the SuperStar Properties window of the fixture's property, thinking it would solve another issue I had.

I still have a related matrix problem that I can't solve:  my text string begins to display in a matrix late in the sequence.  E.g., in a five second sequence, the first letter in the text string first shows up about 3.5 seconds into the 5-second scene, rather than immediately when the scene starts.

I'm still following this thread in to learn more about SS text on matrices.

Things just got weirder too. I'm using PE exclusively for now.

I notice something odd with the pinwheel effect as well. I have my individual icicles ok. And I set up three groups of twenty icicles each. I can put pinwheels in each group fine. I get three independent pinwheels with a distinct center in each group of ten icicles.

When I go to the big group of all 30 icicles, the effect should be centered on icicle 15 and spin around all thirty icicles, like it would if I had a matrix of 30x8. Instead, the first group of ten has a pinwheel centered on icicle 5 and circling those ten icicles, and the next pinwheel is centered on icicle 20 and spinning across that group of twenty icicles (a group which doesn't exist!).

Something is going on with attempting to group props into various sized matrices in PE.

I hope Matt checks in on Monday.:(

Reversed text usually occurs because you have wrong corner defined as the start location. It can also occur if you rotate your prop 90 or 180 degrees.

When you put an effect on a group, effects at the prop level take precedence over the group effect. So if you want just the group effect, make sure there are no effects on the child props.

Matt

Solved it! The problem was with the Group creation window.

I hadn't noticed the little note about checked items should be ordered left to right. (see image)

By sheer luck, my first two groups were ordered properly in the list by PE. The third group (icicle 022-030), as you can see, was jumbled. When I used the green up and down arrows to manually rearrange them left to right, and then created Group 003 and Group ALL, everything behaved as expected.

Please, Matt, automate this list. At least make it arrange things alphanumerically. I dread having to arrange 130+ icicles, one icicle at a time...one space at a time. Whew!

PE_group_create.gif

7 hours ago, bobschm said:

Solved it! The problem was with the Group creation window.

I hadn't noticed the little note about checked items should be ordered left to right. (see image)

By sheer luck, my first two groups were ordered properly in the list by PE. The third group (icicle 022-030), as you can see, was jumbled. When I used the green up and down arrows to manually rearrange them left to right, and then created Group 003 and Group ALL, everything behaved as expected.

Please, Matt, automate this list. At least make it arrange things alphanumerically. I dread having to arrange 130+ icicles, one icicle at a time...one space at a time. Whew!

PE_group_create.gif

If you set it up as Use Preview the order wouldn't matter. PE will recognize the layout and program them in their order regardless of what the order is in the group.

SPaschall

One thing to keep in mind - "preview" groups are much more resource intensive (take longer to calculate).

Matt