Light-O-Rama Forums

Text on Matrix

dougd

Not sure if I am totally lost or if there is a glitch somewhere. Has anyone used the text tool to display text on a matrix? No matter what I try cant get it display so I can read it in the preview. Just a blob scrolls by. Let me know if its me or not.

Well apparently it is something to do with my matrix size. I made a 25x25 and was able to get it to work. Cant seem to get anything legible on my 67x8.

Well Snap! Doug I decided to do a 35 x 8 to emulate yours from last year. The only way I could read mine in the PE Visualizer was to play around with different fonts. I did get mine legible, but just. I guess I'll go back in and change mine to a little taller. I guess I'll need to order another panel or two from James at Boscoyo Studios. Ugh!!!

Eight pixels vertically is pretty small to get text to work very well.   However with the right font size you should be able to get something to fly.

Before seeing your reply that yours was eight pixels, I tried it with a 60 x 16 and it worked just fine.

Well I used this same matrix last year to scroll messages and it is perfectly legible. Dont remember having to pick just certain fonts. I used xlights version 3 to create my messages. Will try and see what I used last year. Originally I did it 10 pixels high and couldnt see a difference between 8 and 10.

Haha. My matrix has many shapes and sizes. 81 wide and 50 high should work well on the roof. Hope to read it 150 feet away.  LOL

Downloaded xlights 3 and had a message scrolling in about 15 seconds. I do have to pick an 8 point font on some fonts. I made something simular for Andy last year, his was about 100 feet off the road, you could read it perfectly fine. If you do it right jeff you will be able to read that roof from space.

Here is a video from last year, Matrix doesnt video well, but you can see it works well for text.

• Like 1

Nice Doug. I will get there one day and have a great display like yours. Kind of disappointed right now with the PE and my incands not being able to import in it correctly. The error is gone but still displays wrong channels. Chat soon.

Thanks for pointing this out. The next release will allow you to make the font bigger. I tried the change with a 67x8 matrix and now you can get a lot of fonts to look good on it.

Matt

Here is a video from last year, Matrix doesnt video well, but you can see it works well for text.

Nice display!  Could you tell me what the name of the song is and the artist?  Just might have to add this one.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for pointing this out. The next release will allow you to make the font bigger. I tried the change with a 67x8 matrix and now you can get a lot of fonts to look good on it.

Matt

This change is part of the 4.2 beta released today.

Matt

• 4 months later...

Posting here because the first post here was about text in a matrix. I'm testing how to develop sequences for a 16 X 9 DMX-based matrix.  I created the matrix in Visualizer, assigned the universe and channels with the Wizard, and saved the file. I then imported the Visualizer file into SuperStar.  In the text mode, I entered some sample text and color, told it which way to scroll, and clicked on add.  When I run SuperStar, the text runs across the matrix in a mirror image -- the letters are completely backwards, if that's clear.  

Anyone happen to know get fix this issue?  

You might ask this in the Superstar section of this form. I know Brian looks in on that section, don't know if he looks here.

Thanks, indi.   Brian did respond earlier, and he asked that I send him my .lee Visualizer file, which I did.

15 hours ago, Ed K said:

Posting here because the first post here was about text in a matrix. I'm testing how to develop sequences for a 16 X 9 DMX-based matrix.  I created the matrix in Visualizer, assigned the universe and channels with the Wizard, and saved the file. I then imported the Visualizer file into SuperStar.  In the text mode, I entered some sample text and color, told it which way to scroll, and clicked on add.  When I run SuperStar, the text runs across the matrix in a mirror image -- the letters are completely backwards, if that's clear.  

Anyone happen to know get fix this issue?  

Check where your starting point is, I had this problem on my Pixel Tree last season. I had to move mine to bottom left and it worked correctly.

SPaschall

• 1 month later...

I'd like to revisit the backwards text issue in PE.

I've got pixicles set up as a matrix. I created them as 8 pixel long icicles. I have (so far) three groups of twenty icicles. Eventually I hope to span the roof-line with 130+ pixicles x 8 nodes long. I want to program effects to them as individual icicles, groups of 20 each, or one group comprising a huge roof long matrix.

I was good with the first 2 groups. When I added the third group something went goofy. It all works with every effect except text. That third group of ten runs the text mirrored backwards. It actually scrolls reversed text right, despite being set up just like all the others to scroll normally left. I checked universes and channel numbers and I'm stumped. Especially since the anomaly is restricted to text only. Every other effect works beautifully.

Any ideas?