Light-O-Rama Forums

"Unable to locate the Light-O-Rama port."

JBrunsonJr

Last year was my first year running light o rama.  Great first experience, only had a few songs, but everyone really loved it.  I then had a short in the house this spring that killed a lot of stuff, including my computer.  Thankfully the light o rama controllers were already stored away. 

Now I have an old work PC that I am using just for light o rama.  I finally had time to fire it up, install the software and test everything.  I am unable to get the RS485 adapter to be recognized. 

I have rebooted the computer.  No luck.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver according to the "Troubleshooting" link.  No luck.  I have tried different USB ports on my PC.  No luck. 

Every time I hook up one controller and go under the Hardware v3.11.2 Advanced screen, I click on "Auto Configure".  It scans, and then I get a message that states "Unable to locate the light o rama port.  Check that controller is connect and that it is powered on."  

The LED on the controller is flashing and is controller #1 from my show that I used last year.

Ughhhhhh.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jack 

Edited by JBrunsonJr

Let the RS485 adapter tell you what port it is.    Whatever port it was on the old PC, it may or may not be different on the new one. 

Find device manager.    Open Ports (COM & LPT)     then   unplug and replug the adapter.   It should disappear and appear in device list. 

Just click on it so you can see all of the ports listed. Then when you unplug/plug in the adapter you should see one of the com ports appear and disappear.

First make sure you have the driver from the LOR website installed. When you plug in the adapter you should hear a windows sound. Let me know if you have any issue. Just message me and we can get it worked out.

How annoying to have a short kill your PC.

Go to the device manager in control panel. Under the com ports tab should be your adapter. When you unplug and plug it in again, it will dissapear and come back. Next to it it will say (COMM#) Which ever number it says is the one you pick in the hardware manager.

If it does not work, download the drivers from LOR or from the disk they sent you with the RS485.

Just FYI, someone else here just had this happen too. Turned out, the internals of his LOR RS485 adapter had fried for unknown reasons. Not to scare you but its something to look at if all else fails. The thread is in the hardware section here in the forums