Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR visualizer v4.0.38 with CCR's via DMX Bridge

bluzervic

I am using 12 CCR's for my Matrix through a DMX Bridge.

The CCR's are split into 3 CCR's per universe.

Here is how they are addressed for each of the 4 universes

CCR1 = 01 (LOR Addressing) = Channels 1 to 150

CCR2 = 0B (LOR Addressing) = Channels 161 to 311

CCR3 = 15 (LOR Addressing) = Channels 321 to 471

The problem is when you go to use the visualizer under fixture properties it wants you to use Pixel numbers instead of Channels.

You can not use a pixel number as 161 is not a number divisible by 3.

Is there any reason on why the fixture properties uses pixel numbers and not channels ?

My display works fine and E1.31 to DMX bridging is working fine as well... it just does not display correctly with the visualizer because of the way it uses pixel numbers instead of channels.

The CCR's are using V1.07 at the moment.

I had to try that for myself and I see what you mean.  I am assuming you are using the "Draw Pixel String" tool.

You can do it if you do each pixel as a separate fixture in a single prop, but that eliminates the whole advantage of using the Draw Pixel String tool - easily run out of fixtures!

Looks like something that needs to be fixed...

Turn off the Macro Channels in DMX mode on the controller setup.  Then the pixel numbers/channel numbers are consecutive. (151 is string 2 pixel 1 red).

Visualizer does not support Macro channels in DMX mode.

I think the problem stems from the LOR addressing its self and how it relates to DMX addresses.

My CCR's are set up with the macro channels turned off.

The 2nd CCR has to have an address of 0B (DMX address 161) as 0A would be at DMX 145 and that would cause problems with the 1st CCR.

There is no LOR Address for DMX 151 the next DMX address would be 161. If I use 0C then the 3rd CCR would have the problem that the 2nd CCR has unless I re-address it as well. However I would then overrun the 512 channels of that universe.

My only work around may be to put only 2 CCR's per universe instead of 3.

Take a look at the LOR/DMX addressing table and you may see what I am talking about.

Vic

Ahhh... I see what you are saying.  You are 100% correct in how UID relates to channel - that 16 channel thing is a hold over from our 16 channel controllers.  It did not dawn on me until you said it.  

I'm going to send an eMail over to engineering as well as the firmware group. 

Don't get your hopes up too high though since a change like this is going to require a lot of firmware updates.  You may want to consider putting a single CCR on a single DMX universe.  If you are using E1.31 that's not too big of a deal, just some configuration changes.  However if you are using physical DMX adapters that is really going to hurt.

Unfortunately, my best answer right now is 'you can't do it that way', and 'I don't know if/when you will be able to in the future'.  I will double check everything and perhaps we can get lucky with a simple work-around.  But again, I doubt it -- I'm the Visualizer developer and I know how the channel tables get created.  I'm sure eventually we can get a fix worked, but it won't be soon.

Sorry Vic :(

Are you running S4? If so, why not set up a preview in the Pixel Editor and simulate your display that way? It can handle the channel assignments you have described.

Matt

Yea Pixel Editor should work fine. Although it seems not all the components(props) of a sequence can be imported in.

If the Visualizer had a change done to it to allow for channels instead of starting pixel number wouldn't that fix it ?

I would not think anything else would have to change, but I could be wrong...

BTW, Thanks for taking the time to look at this

Vic