Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility won't find any controllers

Papa6058

It must be the interface (USB485B) if it were the USB cable it wouldn't make comm4 active, but let me see if I can find another USB cable

Papa

I have both the powered and non-powered RS485/USB interfaces. I use the powered one because I send everything via ELL's so the non-powered one is just sitting here, un-used.

Thanks Mike I have I am on my 5th back and forth already, I wish I could send this thread to them

Papa

Oh, you are using the original USB cable for the adapter I hope? I don't know if LOR modifies the cable for any reason or if the changes are only internal to the interface.

The one I'll send you has the original cable attached so no worries. We'll figure this out

I hope Help Desk is giving me same ideas over again I am not having a good feeling about this

Papa

I hope Help Desk is giving me same ideas over again I am not having a good feeling about this

Papa

I have your ticket now.  Follow the instructions exactly as given.  I'll get you working or figure out why it is not.

Mike, FYI, I've mailed him my spare LOR interface just now, so he'll have that within a day or two at the most, just in case. Sort of sounds like the wrong driver, failed interface or failed USB buss in the computer...one of them.

DevMike and I worked so it either has to be the USB cable or the USB485B, and dgrant is sending me a USB485B with OEM cable so fingers crossed!

Thank you for all the help guys.

BTW David think what you would need for the converter if it works. I am going to try just the cable first, seams you may have been right on about that all along.

Papa

Whatever LOR sells them for but lets find out first if this is truly the problem or you have a computer USB buss issue, driver issue or other.

Well  I found my original USB cable (Must have had my eyes on it a dozen times .... love getting older!)

That did not help and since I was told my USB485B was out of warranty I opened it up and it has a fried IC.

I have another post with a pic and such, this is just to update those that were helping or curious.

Papa

Wow, now we have to wonder how that happened or the cause? If someone forced the USB in backwards, then its possible but usually the computer's motherboard gets toasted too. That's not an absolute. Certainly sounds like you identified the cause and no, you are not required to purchase mine. This was in the name of troubleshooting so when you receive it tomorrow, test again and I'm thinking the HW will find it this time. Maybe Mike from LOR can provide a guess as to the cause of this? Hope no one connected a TCPIP connection on the opposite side of it, therefore burning it that way...obviously it is the same connector as a TCPIP but it is "only" for an LOR RS485 buss output. I imagine that one of the two things must have happened but who knows. Maybe it was a lightning strike...

The big mystery is it worked fine last time I had it on my computer (Last Christmas) and it has been stored in my home safe and dry until I got it out a few days ago. I am the only one to ever use it and I am very well versed in electronics and wiring and cables. It has never been abused or connected wrong. I am using the same computer that I have always used for my show. I guess there is a chance that it just died.

Papa 

Papa is having problems getting logged into this site but asked me to relay to anyone reading it, he received the cable that I sent to him and everything checked out and working normally. Obviously he had already figured out the cause with his fried interface but no clue what the cause was as it had been packed up since it was last used normally, last season. I'm sure he's relieved to have found the cause and all will be good now.

Thank you everyone, I do have it up and running with Davids help in getting me another USB485

Now I am trying to make a mini Mega Tree about 20" tall with 12 mega strands of Red, white, blue and green then a 3 channel star on top to help me visualize testing better. I need 12 strands of mini lights in all 4 colors to cut to size. LEDs I don't think will work if I cut them to 18" or so.

Papa

Thank you everyone, I do have it up and running with Davids help in getting me another USB485

Now I am trying to make a mini Mega Tree about 20" tall with 12 mega strands of Red, white, blue and green then a 3 channel star on top to help me visualize testing better. I need 12 strands of mini lights in all 4 colors to cut to size. LEDs I don't think will work if I cut them to 18" or so.

Papa

Papa,

Don't think you'll have much luck cutting minis any more than cutting leds.

Probably ought to learn the visualizer program if you don't already use it.

It's the best.

Here's a star prop to help start your tree.

http://www.landolights.com/main/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,54/func,fileinfo/id,750/

Cutting minis is just too time consuming trying to figure out which resistors you would need just for visual reasons. Might be worth it if it was going to become a prop, but what a pain. Especially for someone who is NOT supposed to work on lights this weekend...

Good luck.

Edited by Mega Arch
  • Like 1