Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Wiki

Guest guest

All,

As you know I have a FAQ for LOR which answers a lot of questions that people have. I know there are many more questions out there.

Now, Dan has communicated to me that new documentation will be out soon, which may eliminate the need for my next project.

I'm considering starting a Wiki for LOR, which would be hosted on my website. Don't know what a Wiki is? Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

I'd like to ask what level of interest there is in the group? The idea would be that various people with experince could write what they know, thus allowing the documentation to grow as does the experince level of the collective group. Regular documentation is good, but has the oppritunity to grow stale over time. With the Wiki concept, the documentation can change to adapt to the needs of the community.

Here is what I would like to know.

Would you have an interest in reading the LOR Wiki?
Would you have an interest in contributing to the LOR Wiki?
Are you a really good copy editor? I'm not! Your help would *always* be appreciated.!

I think we have a large group of people whose knowledge of LOR is rapidly growing. Obviously, I think it would be a great idea to try and get this information in one central place, where anyone can contribute what they know.

Don wrote:

[sNIP}
Now, Dan has communicated to me that new documentation will be out soon, which may eliminate the need for my next project. [sNIP]

Don, I must have miss-communicated my thoughts. I thought that a wiki would be a nice complement to what we were doing... If it catches on we could put a link to it from LOR. A Wiki that works well has the combined experience of a number of people working in many different situations. It would have definite value.

I would be interested in both reading and contributing to an LOR wiki. This is a perfect application for a Wiki and I think there is a lot of good information in the community that could be collected.

Also I run a couple of MediaWiki wikis at work so let me know if you need any help.

I would definetly be interested in reading. As my LOR skills increase over the years I would probably want to contribute but not untill I have sufficiant experience. I am sure I could always just email any new thoughts, points or ideas to someone that does post them. I think that would be best.

Don, I like this idea. I am just beginning with LOR, but I would be more than interested in helping maintaining it. To start out with I would be interested in helping edit it, and organize it. In the future I would be more than willing to add thoughts and information. Let me know what I can help you do.

The early version is out.

http://www.donteague.com/lorwiki/index.php/Main_Page

If you have used MediaWiki then this will be old hat. If you have not, then there will be a learning curve. I have linked to a help file which can help you get started. There is also a SandBox link at the bottom of the page, which will let you try it out, without fear of goofing it up.

Please note: You must register to edit. Anyone can read!

yeutterg wrote:

Thanks

It works now

I am registered!

Now that your registered ... get busy! Lot's to do! :) (Of course, edit only what you are comfortable with.

To All: Don't be afraid to get in there and add things. I've got some idea how I think it should be set up, but don't be afraid to suggest things. Heck, if you want to start adding content, just do it. Don't ask me.