Light-O-Rama Forums

Should You Renew or Upgrade? - Look here!

Don

I know this is going to be asked on the forums, and I'd bet the help desk. A reminder that renewing and upgrading are two very different things in the LOR world.

If you renew your licence, it will be valid for the latest version (version 4.x.x for example) but it will be valid at the same license level. That is to say if you want to run the same license level (Basic, Advanced, etc.) that you have today, but want to run the latest version (4.x.x) then you need only to renew your license. Thus if you are running Advanced right now, and you renew, you will still be running Advanced after the renewal.

However if you want to go from (any level) to Pro, then you need to purchase an upgrade. As an added bonus your license will also renew for another year,

A reminder to make 100% sure you use the same email when making the renew/upgrade purchase as you did when you purchased the original license. If you do, then you upgrade will be instant. (My account updated in under 60 seconds.) If you enter a different email address, then you will have to fill out a help desk ticket, and wait for someone with access to the software database to assist.

Edit:

Just a reminder: An upgrade counts as a renewal! You do NOT have to purchase an upgrade and a renewal at the same time! Just purchase the upgrade, and you will get the renewal.

Edited by Don

Yep, make sure you use the same email. Since I was hacked and my email changed, I had to fill out a help desk ticket. Now I have to wait. Snap!!!

Don, sorry about not answering your PM. With a wedding recently and the wife's surgery looming next week, I've not had a chance to spend a while on the phone. If you're still wanting to talk, I am off on Thursday and we can exchange numbers. I don't know if I can help much with the PE, since I've only scratched the surface of it myself.

Edited by Ron Boyd

I just did it and it worked great. Had to renew first, then upgrade!

No, you didn't.  

Please open a help desk ticket.  Include BOTH order numbers (the one for the renewal and the one for the upgrade).  We'll refund the renewal if you indeed did purchase the upgrade.

Yep, make sure you use the same email. Since I was hacked and my email changed, I had to fill out a help desk ticket. Now I have to wait. Snap!!!

Unfortunately you'll have to wait until tomorrow.  I have access to the License DB, but I don't have access to orders.  I'll change your eMail address on your license, but Mary's the one who will have to flip the switch for the pro upgrade. :(

No, you didn't.  

Please open a help desk ticket.  Include BOTH order numbers (the one for the renewal and the one for the upgrade).  We'll refund the renewal if you indeed did purchase the upgrade.

May want to change the announcement page because it states it's available!

May want to change the announcement page because it states it's available!

There is nothing on the announcement post on the forum that states you have to purchase both a renewal and upgrade.

If you purchase an upgrade, the renewal is free. 

• Like 1

There is nothing on the announcement post on the forum that states you have to purchase both a renewal and upgrade.

If you purchase an upgrade, the renewal is free. 

Correct! I see that now.

I am confused after reading all of these..

OK to start with I started with LOR on Sept 16,2014. with an Advanced License...  

So am I still on the advance verson or the pro version and what is the difference now.

I just installed up to the v4.0.38 Pro it says

so does that mean that com Sept I need to pay for a up grade or what? and what is the difference going to be if I keep it at advanced.... I am confused because to much has been said to fast... and what is the advantage of having a pro license over a advanced license going to be... 

Really confused here and the more I read the worse it seems to get.. confusing that is.

and what is it going to cost me to do it?

I know there is a difference between terms, upgrade, renew, upgrade license etc. 

Thanks and for the ones who are all up to date on this I hope I put my questions in the right place..

Pro = Pixel Editor (and a few other things.)

Advanced = Doesn't change.

At the end date listed on your license, you would have to renew if you want to upgrade to a higher version. If you want to keep running the version you have, you can do so as long as you wish.

License renewal = $29.95 

License Upgrade costs = Varies

Just another reminder to everyone, no matter which way you go, you still pay the same amount for the software. With the exception of a price break when you purchase a Starter Kit, the cost of the software is the same regardless if you buy it up front, or upgrade you way to Pro.

Thanks Don,

cool... a simple straighter answer... so all I will need to do is just renew my current advance level at $29.95.... because I dont use pixels etc.

I am thinking that is the main difference between advanced license and pro license.. I just use regular lights, mini lights etc. no pixels, ccrs etc. no ribbons etc.

I get to confused thinking about them...lol

Thanks for making it more clear for me.

Thanks Don,

cool... a simple straighter answer... so all I will need to do is just renew my current advance level at $29.95.... because I dont use pixels etc.

I am thinking that is the main difference between advanced license and pro license.. I just use regular lights, mini lights etc. no pixels, ccrs etc. no ribbons etc.

I get to confused thinking about them...lol

Thanks for making it more clear for me.

I don't believe you have to renew.  Your license is good for one year (yours should expire Sept 16,2015). during that year you get a free update to the latest version without paying for a renewal.  You would only have to pay if you upgrade or if you waited until after Sept 16,2015 to move to the latest version.

Did not receive any email and my license is good up to 3.15*- So I will update after I find out information about the PE. I am being told its ready for bigger sequences without crashing.

If I understand this correctly, if I purchase Superstar in any CCR configuration, it will renew my current S3 Advanced license for S4 Advanced.  If I want to upgrade my now S4 Advanced license to PRO, it will be an additional $50.  

If I understand this correctly, if I purchase Superstar in any CCR configuration, it will renew my current S3 Advanced license for S4 Advanced.  If I want to upgrade my now S4 Advanced license to PRO, it will be an additional $50.  

Correct.

(Not that it applies to your case, but upgrading to Pro would also count as a renewal. Just stating this for the record, nothing more.)

I just now purchased the Upgrade to Pro level. Strange how yesterday, it showed PRO already in the SE but today it just showed Advanced. Oh well, bought it anyway. So, where are the video tutorials for the PE?

I just now purchased the Upgrade to Pro level. Strange how yesterday, it showed PRO already in the SE but today it just showed Advanced. Oh well, bought it anyway. So, where are the video tutorials for the PE?

If I had to guess that was because during the beta period, licenses were showing as Pro so that the features could be tested/used by all.

If I had to guess that was because during the beta period, licenses were showing as Pro so that the features could be tested/used by all.

This would be correct.  During Beta, Advanced licenses acted as if they were pro.  Now that the beta period is over, you are back to Advanced.