Light-O-Rama Forums

HELP! - I just dont get it

k6ccc

I need some likely really basic help with the Pixel Editor.  I have yet to be able to create an effect and apply it to some chuck of time in a sequence.  I figured out how to create a preview, and I can create an effect in the Effects Generator, but how do you get that created effect applied to some chunk of time.  I will admit that I have accidentally gotten something in the sequencing grid, but I don't really know how it happened and have never been able to duplicate it or apply an effect when and where I wanted it.

I'm sure I just missing one little step, but I just don't get it at all.

This has been very frustrating to me because I'm a computer dude and I had no trouble with SE a very little bit with SuperStar.  With PE, I try to play with it for a while, and get so frustrated that I don't look at it for weeks.  Finally I'll give in and try again, only to repeat the process.  With no real documentation on PE, it has been a huge frustration to me...

• Like 1

There are many ways to populate the Pixel Editor's sequence grid. But one of the easiest is to select a group of cells that you want to populate with an effect. Right-click somewhere on the selection, select "Modify" from the pop-up menu. This will open the Effect Generator window. Select your effect (bars, fire, etc). Click OK to close the Effect Generator. Voila! The grid will be populated.

Modifying an existing effect is even easier - just double-click on any of the cells within the effect.

The last tip is that the effect description under the "Effect Generator" button is the current effect. If you are using keyboard shortcuts (n=on, u=ramp up, d=ramp down... same as the sequence editor), the effect that gets placed on the grid is that current effect.

I hope you can make some progress with the Pixel Editor now!

Matt

• Like 1

I'm waiting on the tutorials so I can see how it works. Between now and then, still sequencing normally or the old way

When will some video tutorials be available for the pixel editor. Like a lot of people i'm lost!

Matt got me much farther than I had gotten before.  At least my original question was answered.  For the past hour, I created a test sequence that had two RGB lights and two Yellow bulbs in SE, and a 12 string tree using DMX pixels in PE.  The scary thought is that I actually just watched that sequence play on Visualizer that had a combination of effects from the Pixel Editor and also from Sequence Editor.

Just to make it better, I added 6 CCR arches using SuperStar and added that to the sequence - and that all worked right too!  Really cool watching parts of the sequence from SE, PE, and SSE all playing together on Visualizer!  The only catch is that now I REALLY need to add another monitor or two to this computer - two is not enough.

Thanks Matt!

Glad to see a little information here. So far so good on opening the largest sequence I have in there. I am looking to select one 4 second spot and create a color wash across the whole display. Sure hope to pull this off in the PE. Talk to me Matt.. LOL

I am looking to select one 4 second spot and create a color wash across the whole display. Sure hope to pull this off in the PE. Talk to me Matt.. LOL

1) From the Preview Design window, create a prop group in PE that contains all of your RGB elements (this is explained the PE Help File). Set the arrangement field to "Use Preview". Name it "All RGB Props".

2) Open your sequence. "All RBG Props" will now have an entry on the PE sequence grid.

3) Select the cells where you want the effect placed. RIght-click in the selection and choose Modify from the menu. Choose your effect. The Colorwash effect has no movement, though it can change colors. The Bars effect is more interesting. The Curtain effect can also be used as a sort of colorwash. Play with the settings and palette on each effect -- experiment to see what you can create!

4) Click "OK" in the Effect Generator to save the effect back to the grid.

5) Note that you can have an effect on a group and effects on props within that group going on at the same time. Effects on individual props will override effects on groups. So... you can have your colorwash going on all elements while at the same time highlighting an individual element with a different effect.

Enjoy!

Matt

Thanks Matt. I noticed you said only RGB's will have the effect. I have red,green and white all across the yard. How do I get the effect across them to?

Jeff

I had to stop and do a major honey do... All the paint has been removed on the concrete porch. Now she can paint it.. LOL

I noticed you said only RGB's will have the effect. I have red,green and white all across the yard. How do I get the effect across them to?

Jeff

Remember that a prop can only be sequenced by PE or SE, but not both. In theory, yes, groups can contain any prop that is marked with Sequence Method=PE. But would you really sequence non-RGB props with PE effects - for an entire sequence?

Matt

Not for the entire sequence but every now and then I will rock all white from side to side or even red or green. Up/down or even in and out. As long as I use colors that that I have see not reason not to. 

Superstar is able to do just a piece but unable to get everything into one screen. This did include all my incand lights that I use standard LOR channels on.

This is why it really needs to be exported out of the PE to the SE after effect are added. PE looks like a great effect generator but the SE allows us the ability to fine turn what we created in the PE. 

Matt,

I tried what you described above and I got something useful with the bars effect but using the curtain when I previewed the effect it just showed the start color across all the props and did nothing.  I tried other effects such as meteor and fireworks and didn't get any preview at all.  I know I must be doing something wrong but after 3 months I've not figured it out.  Your description above was the first time I got it to work and that was just the bars.

Frustrated here.

• 2 weeks later...

I need a tutorial really bad. I wish someone who has figured this out make a video. Thanks! I can't get my matrix to do anything. I am not sure if I am doing anything correctly.

Frustrated here.

I am working on a PowerPoint presentation for the Pixel Editor class at Expo next Saturday. It goes step by step through creating a sequence. It should help and will be posted within the next week. After that I will work on a video.

Matt

• Like 1

I am working on a PowerPoint presentation for the Pixel Editor class at Expo next Saturday. It goes step by step through creating a sequence. It should help and will be posted within the next week. After that I will work on a video. Matt

I'm looking forward to Matt's class!