Light-O-Rama Forums

Using space bar

Slowpoke

Am new to sequencing and am having trouble with using the space bar to stop and restart the sequence . It did actually work a few times , then quit again . Anyone else had this issue before ? The space bar seems to work for typing just fine . Is there another way to stop and restart other than space bar and not have to start from beginning of sequence again ? Thanks for any suggestions . Trying hard to get my first sequence finished.

The space bar is a little more complicated than it may appear at first glance.

Typically, it works this way: If you're playing, it stops play, and sets the selection to the column that play stopped in.  If you're not playing, it starts play from the start of the selection.  So it's kind of a pause/resume button - not exactly, because the start of the cell that play stopped in is probably not exactly where play stopped - but it's close to being one.

However, there's an entirely different way that the space bar may operate: If you have a freeform play range selected, it will play that range.  So I'm not really sure that I understand what you mean when you say the space bar "quit", but it might be that you had accidentally set up a very small freeform play range - i.e. one small enough that play will end almost immediately after it begins.

You can learn more about freeform play ranges and the space bar on this page in the help file.

You may also be interested in the standard play ranges (search that page for play range), which allow you to do things like "Play the visible screen" or "Play the selected area" (and various other options).

Thank you both . Will be trying this out tonight. Would be totally lost without this forum. I may need to spend some time in the help files obviously. Just looked at videos and forum.

Also, if the SE window is not selected, the space bar will not work.  I use 2 monitors. one for the SE and the other for the VIZ.  If I happen to click over to the VIZ and forget to click back to the SE, no workie.

Thanks Larry. Can always use tips. Worked on sequence last night and everything is starting to become clearer. Just had to get across a couple bumps and I can actually do some sequencing now. Don't think I would have gotten into this hobby if I hadn't read this forum for a couple of months first . Read a lot in the help files last night , also a big help. Thank you LOR forum .

Not sure if anyone mentioned this. Maybe you did, I just didn't understand what was said. I will take my cursor into the time bar and click and drag a shade over a section of time. Once I have some of that time bar shaded, each time I click on the space bar. That sub section of the visible screen will play.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this. Maybe you did, I just didn't understand what was said. I will take my cursor into the time bar and click and drag a shade over a section of time. Once I have some of that time bar shaded, each time I click on the space bar. That sub section of the visible screen will play.

That's the "freeform play range" that I mentioned.  It doesn't need to be a subsection of the visible screen, by the way - you could make it as large as you want.  Also, another way to create a freeform play range is to hit the down arrow key during play to mark the start of the range, and the up arrow key to mark the end of the range.

You can get rid of a freeform play range by starting play with "Shift-Space" rather than just "Space", or by "Clear Freeform Play Range" from the right-click popup menu.

Getting somewhere now. But gonna be a while sequencing whole song. Glad I started early and only have 32 channels. Really like the beat and tapper wizards. Big help there. Was trying to fade a twinkle last night . Think I gotta use foreground or background effect. Figure if I can do one song every two weeks I'll have enough for a show. Rainy and cool here in Indiana so good time to get something done.

Check out the LOR tutorials, they have good information in them.

Sequencing takes longer than you think. You got plenty of time.

Yes , Vince . I like the videos. Very straight foward and easy to follow. Watched most already but had missed the part about using space bar . Had re watched the one for shimmer and twinkle and the one titled fade and color intensity and also the intelligent fade video. To fade a twinkle or shimmer I needed the create custom effects tutorial . Got it now. Sequences taking shape . Thanks.