Light-O-Rama Forums

What's the best setup for my specific display?

Brookhaven19

Just got started with LOR last year with one LOR controller with 16 channels.  Really enjoyed it and will be expanding this year, so I will now have 2 LOR controllers and 3 pixel controllers (AlphaPix 4 and 16).

I am trying to find the best way to hook these all up.  I believe these are the 2 possibilities:

1. Have 2 cables come out of my computer.  One cable for the LOR controllers which are then daisy chained togethern and one ethernet cable coming out of my router to a network switch and then to each individual pixel controller.
  2. Run LOR in DMX mode.  One ethernet cable coming out of my router to a network switch and then to each individual pixel controller, then cable from one of the RS485 Outputs on one of the AlphaPix pixel controllers to one of the LOR controllers (which are then daisy chained together).

Are these setups both listed accurately?

Do I need a specific "crossover" cable for #2 at all?

Is one setup easier to work with than the other? I assume #1 is a little easier since I won't have to change the LOR controllers to DMX mode, but are there other things to consider?

I heard the effects for the LOR controllers (shimmer, twinkle etc.) don't work as well in DMX mode.  Is that the case for #2 and how noticeable is the difference?  If the effects look pretty bad then I would likely stay away from #2.

Thanks!

#1 is the option I would use, and do use.

I have no experience with running LOR in DMX mode but I have heard the same as you.

Your understanding is correct.

You would need a crossover cable from your Alphapix controller to your first LOR controller, and then regular cat5 between the LOR boxes. You have to ensure you understand the appropriate DMX ID for the LOR boxes.

In DMX mode, you do lose Shimmer and Twinkle. I have never tested it to see what the actual result looks like.

I personally use #1, but I also use ELLs for my LOR network, and do have one iDMX within my LOR network for my one traditional universe. I drive E682s, and this year Pixlite 16s.

I also use option #1 . Seemed pretty straight forward and I didn't loose any of my Sequencing options with my LOR controllers. I cant speak for option # 2

I also use option #1 . It's simple, just DO NOT get the cables mixed up!

I personally like the LOR shimmer over the dmx version.

Keeping the cables separate should not be too hard, one way to accomplish this is to have different color cables.........