Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC V1 box won't show up in auto configure

coachdove

I have 4 Light O Rama units:

2 brand new CTBPC16 Version 3's (bought during spring sale)

2 CTBPC16 Version 1  (used for a couple years)

The 2 new units and one of the version 1 units all show up and test out fine in the hardware utility, but the last one does not show up when I click Auto Configure."  It says it can't find the COM Port.  Can't figure out why it won't show up.

The questions I know I'll be asked, so I'll save you the time:

1)Yes, both plugs are plugged in and the red light is flashing (V1 has a red light instead of green) at constant pace, with no change when I plug in Cat5 cable or remove it.

2)Yes, I tried plugging the Cat 5 cable in to the other port on the board... same result, can't find the unit

3) Yes, I am using the green Cat5 cable provided by Light O Rama, which is only a 10 ft cable

4)Yes, I tried manually typing the old unit number into the hardware utility (it was Unit 3 last time it was used)

I also restarted my computer (windows 7 desktop computer) and got the same results.

I also tried switching USB ports (2.0 USB and a 3.0 USB).  The other units work fine on both the 2.0 and 3.0 port, but not Unit 3.

Any idea why I can't get this particular unit to show up?  Help would be appreciated.

Do you have the units daisy chained or are you testing one at a time?

Have you tried switching the cat5 with a cable from a controller that works?

Do you have the units daisy chained or are you testing one at a time?

Have you tried switching the cat5 with a cable from a controller that works?

Daryl,

I am testing them one at a time using the same Cat5 cable for each test.  No problems with the other 3 units this way.  Tested all 4 units twice: once with the Cat 5 plugged into the 2.0 USB port and once with the 3.0 USB port.

Cat 5 cable is brand new straight from Light o Rama.

One other test you could try is to daisy chain 2 controllers. Put the suspect bad one first then goto a known working one.

If neither show up in the hardware utility then it's probably a bad rj45 port. If the second one is recognized then it could be a bad transceiver chip.

One other test you could try is to daisy chain 2 controllers. Put the suspect bad one first then goto a known working one.

If neither show up in the hardware utility then it's probably a bad rj45 port. If the second one is recognized then it could be a bad transceiver chip.

Daisy chained them together with the bad one first, and it did recognize the second unit but not the suspect bad one.

So I guess that means the RJ45 jacks are OK, as signal is passing through them to the next unit down the line.

Does this mean its definitely the transceiver chip?

Help ticket opened.  Thanks for the trouble shooting help, guys!

I searched the forum and saw someone else with a bad transceiver chip had LOR send them a new chip.  Is that something that is easy to swap out (no soldering required) on your own?

I am knowledgeable when it comes to motherboards (building my own computers, etc) but have not soldered to a board before.

UPDATE: Got the board working!  Apparently, it was missing the jumper that is used to reset the board (must have fallen off somewhere) and was stuck in an endless loop of trying to reset.  I robbed a jumper from an old DVD-ROM Drive and used it and BINGO!  Works like a charm!  Thanks to Chuck,  the LOR help guy for solving the mystery!

Edited by coachdove
  • Like 1

• The topic was locked