Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Extender

ezimnow

Question...so is it one Pixel extender per controller? I have a   P12 controller that I want to add the extender too.

Edited by ezimnow

Ezimnow please post if J1 systems reply to your emails I 've been sending emails for the last month they have a board of mine for repairs and never reply

If you are using J1S extenders it is one output per extender.... they do have two channels though so you may be able to use it that way if you use WS2811s. I just never tried it that way

I am actually using the differential output from the e6804 to feed the ECG-PPR-A    I think.. that is the number.. That extender is right at the feed end of a section of Plasma Icicles.  I use 4 or 5 of them.. I forgot..

He's got a board of mine too but he did write back finally saying he's been very busy. Suppose to get too mine last week, but heard nothing since then. I'm traveling right this moment so its not terribly important yet.

• Like 1

I just use null pixels and it has worked well for me.

I tried the null pixel route and had all kinds of issues.  I think maybe because I have bundles of non shielded cable.  But in any case, the extenders have been rock solid for two years now.

I've been out of the loop for a few day's and just got a chance to get back to this forum. First off yes, Ed replied to all my questions in a very timely matter and supplied me with all the info I need. So my first step is to get all my measurements in order. Right now I'm guessing my longest runs will be about 50' and some as short as 10' I'm basically converting all my windows on the front of my house to RGB. I have a p12S and Ed said I could replace the top half of the P12s with the P12D..and the PPR-D x12 ( for all 12 Outputs) or just go with as many drivers and receivers as needed. I am also looking into the Null Pixels as Jeff suggested but I have to make sure I'm using the correct cable before doing so.......Jeff, I'll be in touch...LOL  I also found some of the previous posts on this subject so reviewing all...

Thanks for all the input guys

EZ

PPRD and P12D, how many of each are needed? I'll have a four runs of about 50 feet each to do, pixel based arches, to control from the P12S. Do these devices need power at the receiving end...assuming they do, but what kind is it? It matters in that it'll have to be protected from the weather and so on, if needed. Any idea what they cost?

The P12D is a 12ch Driver replacement board for the P12X Top Board,,,$75 Receivers are PPR-B receiver about $9 ea..whats your Email and I can send you some more info.....

18/3 has worked best for me with data. I know some call it pixel wire. Power is ok with thermostat wire but not for data. Yep, That was a lesson learned. Looks to me the more small wire you have the better the data signal will be. 

I did see at a mini we had that data went 80 feet without an extender or null but power had to be at the pixel's (very close) Now grant it was being run from a nice laptop using xlights. 

Many of my runs are 30 feet and one or two nulls work for me. To keep them off the ground I use a small metal stake and a ziplock baggie painted black. For some reason every now and then I will see the null pixel flicker. I use null's cause I have so many extra cut pixels. I also use gray twist on wire nuts. 

• Like 1