Light-O-Rama Forums

Relays?

dkoehler42

I'm looking for a stand-alone relay that I can plug larger motors into.  For example, I have a wiper motor build I use to rock a rocking chair.  It has a standard 120v adapter you'd find for a residential outlet.  Where can I find a relay that I can plug that into, which can then go into my LOR unit?  

This seems like it should be a simple thing to find, but I'm having trouble.  If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.

The wiper blade motor will run at 12v, so your probably better off putting a 12v relay after the 120v adapter.

If you have DMX or E1.31, then a DMX relay board will be easiest.If you have RGB or other low voltage, finding a relay for that is easier. If not, Ebay and Amazon, and also DHgate and AliExpress are good places.

A Google search will find loads of choice.

I use a motion sensor to activate a bubble blower that is powered via mains power. maybe you could find a 12v sensor.

A guy called Earnest sells those for a fraction of the price and they are good for this.

That looks really good but is expensive.

I'm not using DMX or RGB at this point.  I was using a standard 120v adapter into the Showtime box.  Looking through some of your suggestions, it looks like I'd need to wire something new up.  Forgive my ignorance, but this is new to me.

there are many 120 volt relays to choose from. mounted in waterproof enclosure with a plug connected to the coil that will be plugged into your lighting controller. you will need to set your lighting controller for on/off operation on that channel. then use the normally open set of contacts on the relay for passing current through to whatever you're trying to power. you can also connect the relay after your power adapter and before the motor. that way you will be switching the 12 volts not the 120 volts.

Edited by Ebuechner

I'm  a firm believer in the LOR DIO32 card with the DIO8RLY daughter card.  I use two of the DIO8RLY cards to control my projectors, gobos, moving heads, snow machines, etc. etc.  Plus, you can use the card for servo control if needed.  If you need AC dimming capability, you can attach the DIO16AC or DIO8ACF High Current AC dimming card.  It's a flexible system.

Edit to add:  http://store.lightorama.com/dio32cards.html

Edited by Denny

That looks really good but is expensive. I know it's expensive but it might be the ticket for somebody who's not able to build something for themselves. maybe lor should produce something similar

You can find relays or contactors online at many electrical suppliers.

Make sure the load you are controlling is wired through the coil of the relay and the contacts of the relay are doing the switching from LOR. Use a meter to verify you have wired the relay correctly.

You can find relays or contactors online at many electrical suppliers.

Make sure the load you are controlling is wired through the coil of the relay and the contacts of the relay are doing the switching from LOR. Use a meter to verify you have wired the relay correctly.

I don't know if you meant that to sound backwards. but the load is connected to the contacts. the load would be the device that you're trying to control. the coil of the relay would be wired to a plug that is then connected to the LOR controller. one side of the normally open contact would be connected to a plug that would plug directly into a wall for 120 volt operation. the other side of the normally open contact would be connected to the device needing to be controlled otherwise known as the load. the hot side of this would be controlled by the relay the neutral would be a pass through. the smaller spade on a plug is the hot the wider spade is the neutral. but if he's using a power adapter to drop to 12 volts I strongly suggest switching the 12 Volt side of the circuit