Light-O-Rama Forums

Word of advice when ordering pixels

sticks4legs

new shipment of pixels arrived from supplier today, got in a couple hours, soldered some waterproof ends, etc........

Only to discover pixels ordered last year are GRB and pixels ordered this year are BRG.

Confirm your purchase and test before you assemble. DOH!!

Anyone else had this issue with Ray Wu before?

Edited by sticks4legs

Yes, I have with LPD6803's that I ordered. They changed factories where they are produced. Come with the same numbers so Ray didn't know but they were in fact different. Advice is to order the whole quantity that you need, at one time.

Why would this matter how you assemble them?  Isn't it just a set-up issue depending on the controller you use?

ie San Device.... it's just clicking on the correct "Color Order" in the configuration.

Yes it can be adjusted in the setup...however I had planned on using old strips and new strips on the same group as I convert mini trees to RGB. I have 5 currently so I will have to set two banks to output differently on e682. Guess I will just have to add a couple more. Lol.

Oh well, as you mention just some configuration and layout changes. Plus I had made a 70 pixel run for my eaves (unused strip from last year and 20 from this year. ). Not the end of the world but something I never even thought of

Edited by sticks4legs

Depends on the controller too and how its configured. For example, in the E682, you can only change programming type in groups of 4. On the P12S, you can change each individual connector output but there's only 12.

OR.....  (and forgive me for being so bold)......

You could always purchase your pixel products through US, and never have to worry about things like that :)

• Like 4

You could always purchase your pixel products through US, and never have to worry about things like that :)

IF...  (and forgive me for being so bold)....

We probably would if they were more competitively priced...  B)

Edited by jimswinder
  • Like 1

OR.....  (and forgive me for being so bold)....

You could always purchase your pixel products through US, and never have to worry about things like that

No worries on being bold.... and with all the information and help you provide no forgiveness needed.

I look forward to the development and reading more on the pixcon and pixels offerings from LOR, just a little late for me this year.

Edited by sticks4legs

Truly, I would have rather purchased CCR's from LOR but tried to go the other route, simply based on cost savings. The difference being $4000 for 16 CCRs as opposed to $600 for strips and a controller. Yes, LOR makes it a lot easier along with the custom controller, LOR regular buss...sure would be nice but I don't have that kind of money laying around. LOR provides a very good product with no doubt whatsoever. For as of yet unknown reasons, the money tree in the backyard just doesn't want to bear any fruit!

• Like 1

Have heard to many issues with Ray Wu and RGB pixel strings. The cost of pixel strings from them is more then it is from say Holiday Coro or DIYLedexpress. Thye all come from chine, but the cost is cheaper and if ya need to do a return, the turn around is far quicker.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

DevMike, Its two fold for me, I like the hunt for a bargain as much as the satisfaction of beating all the challenges associated with putting it all together. You guys are the best at making a plug and play system. I will forever be indebted to you guys for getting me started. My issue is always time and money just like everyone else!

I am a mechanically smart guy but computer challenged! This makes for an interesting combination as I cant count how many times my computer weaknes has created the problem! Like wrong destination, where did I save that at to name a few!

Thanks to LOR for getting me started!

Mikes point is well taken and good advise.  You likely would not find a New Bentley at a Walmart parking lot sale.

Saving a few dollars (or a lot of dollars) has some risk.  If you are not willing to put op with the possible or probable issues, then save your sanity and buy from solid dealers in the US like LOR .  If you are willing to trade some of your time and elbow grease for some dollars use the DIY dealers you see here on this board in the venders section (there a a number good quality business's that make sure the items shipped in are quality or often have them made to there own specs).

That being said I use from all these sources, but I know what to expect and generally how to get around the issues (not something someone  new to this would likely be able or willing to do initially).

The old saying  "Buyer Be Ware" really applies when buying direct from China.

I tend to agree with Jethro's statement above. LOR is a great PNP system for beginners but after the first year after users gain more experience and knowledge they are trending towards other vendors. I will admit that I may spend $100 a year on LOR products but I spend $3k-$4k at other vendors. The LOR AC controllers which were once the backbone of every display is now starting to take a backseat to RGB and the LOR RGB systems are too far outside my price range and there are so many more affordable options out there.

The LOR business model is outdated and they are missing out on a lot of business. This is a fast changing industry as technology has advanced so much in the last 10 years. I would consider an advanced user section in the store and start selling more build your own.

If you have a Hyundai dealership and a Mercedes dealership side by side who do you think will sell more cars? The original price and maintenance costs of the Hyundai are a 1/10 the price of the Mercedes and they will both get you to the same destination.

Just saying.

I agree completely that LOR makes a fine product and their warranty is above all else which is great. I have to also agree that their pricing model is a bit extreme for CCR's and if I had the extra money, I'd be happy to pay for them. But since I'm not rich, nor money to just throw around, I do what I can to attempt to achieve a close second to their product. I have no clue about their profit margins on CCR's but hey, its retail business and their's is a custom designed controller for each. They should earn a profit.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to make excuses, but remember when the CCR first came out, it was pretty much one of the first commercially available complete pixel solutions.  Unfortunately when you are on the leading edge, R&D sometimes locks you into a price.  While I am not privy to any of the details of the development of the CCR, I do know that there are many more costs than just mfging and support.  For example, I know that there are/were some pretty HEFTY licensing fees for LED technologies - including for things like blue LEDs, and the serial data that travels up the string of pixels.  Ask some of the old timers around about getting their strings seized by customs because they were knockoffs and not licensed.

Of course, since the introduction of the CCR, things are getting cheaper.  You'll notice that prices on Pixel Controllers have come down drastically from the CCR, even LOR's.  For example, compare the per pixel control cost of the CCR controller vs the PIxCon16 controller:

A CCR controller is $80 in the store.  That makes the per pixel control cost $1.60 ($80/50 pixels).  The PIxCon16 is currently $220.  It can control 5440 pixels making the per pixel control cost about $0.04 - four cents.  As you can see, as technology progresses things get cheaper.

Pixel strings are also coming down in price.  Again when you are one of the first out there you tend to get high prices.  We already have agreements in principal with suppliers for more cost-effective strings.

DevMike, I completely understand where you are coming from but as technology changes LOR needs to change. I would love to have all my stuff LOR but like most others I can't afford $4000 to make a 16 strand CCR tree. This year I spent $1400 and got two 16 strand 180 degree pixel trees and one 16 strand CCR clone tree and  a few other things. Yes I may have to do a little more programming with these but in the end they will look exactly like and operate the exact same way as the $4000 CCR tree but at a quarter the price and three times as many.

As I stated in my previous post, LOR is great for the beginner just starting out as everything is ready to go but once they have gained the knowledge and experience what incentives does LOR have to keep their customer base? I applaud LOR for coming out with the Pixcon16 controller and starting to get into that market and I hope they have a few other things in the works as well. More DIY items such as the Pixcon16 are incentives for their customer base to stick with them rather then going to other vendors.

Have heard to many issues with Ray Wu and RGB pixel strings. The cost of pixel strings from them is more then it is from say Holiday Coro or DIYLedexpress. Thye all come from chine, but the cost is cheaper and if ya need to do a return, the turn around is far quicker.

I don't know what you're comparing on price, but I just looked up a few and Ray's prices are less than half of what Holiday Coro's price was for similar pixels.  I've bought lots of stuff from Ray, and I'm real open about why - COST.  If I were to do everything in CCR/CCB/CCPs that I'm doing with 2811 pixels of one form or another, I would have about 10K invested.  There is no way I could afford that.  I do have six strings of CCPs in my arches and they are great.

Now, back to the original point of this thread, yep, different batches of pixels may have the pixel order different.  With some planning, you may be able to work around the issue when adding additional strings, but it's a real problem if replacing bad pixels or adding length to existing strings.  I did have to replace a few pixels last year and fortunately found someone here on the LOR forum who was able to send me some matching pixels in the same color order.

Business models change as does the environment of supply and demand. New products, new technology and our insatiable desire to have the nicest looking displays, all tends to drive the market for this type of equipment. I'm sure LOR will adjust as they can and as mentioned, they are jumping into the E1.31 controller market.

My new strip were of different RGB order from HC this year. Luckily the e6804 configures each output but I had an area were I was going to extend the 2811 from last years.

Work around: change the channel setup in the SE channel config box. I thank plasmadrive for showing me this tip last week at the Sacramento meeting.

Jim, this makes changing one or 2 bad pixels out with a different order ones a breeze

I have no clue about their profit margins on CCR's but hey, its retail business and their's is a custom designed controller for each. They should earn a profit.

Didn't they just give away over $20,000 in merchandise??  Profit must be pretty good...  :ph34r: