Light-O-Rama Forums

Image Rotation

Jeff F

Thank you Brian for adding Image Rotation!!  Awesome new feature!!

Greatly appreciate all your support with SuperStar and improvements!!

The fact that you will be using image rotation for "real world" use is the best testing. Let me know if you run into any problems with it.

Where do I find this? I'm working on a new pixel mega tree 12 string 2d type and its all upside down. People will have to stand on there heads to read the text lol. I tried moving the controller position but that didn't help. It would also be helpful if I could copy from my horizontal matrix to a vertical tree

Cheers John

The rotate selected image button is in image setup dialog box in the S4 beta

But you are dealing with upside down text. In the Text Setup dialog box there are 4 small found buttons that allow rotation of text to 0 degrees, 90 degrees, 180 degrees, or 270 degrees.

Where do you see the upside down text? Is it on the superstar screen, in the sequence editor after export, or on your actual lights?

Click on the text effect that is in the time layers

The text setup dialog box should appear

Click on one of the four rotation buttons and the text should rotate

• 2 months later...
Last year when using CCBs in a horizontal SuperStar matrix of 8x50, I remember having trouble with events (text) being upside down when exporting into the sequence
editor.   By manipulating the prop in the visualizer software and rearranging controllers I managed to get things looking right.  This year, with a 24x50 horizontal array
this is getting more difficult to address.  I created a simple sequence using a 30 second scene of a small 4x5 pixel box in the upper
lefthand corner of a SuperStar 24x50 horizontal array with layout in CCR mode and controllers on the left.   When I export to the sequence editor, the events show up in the
first 5 pixels on the last four CCBs 21,22,23, and 24.  Shouldn't these events show up in CCBs 1,2,3, and 4?  When I change the Superstar layout to right hand controllers,
the exported events show up in the last 5 pixels but again in the last four CCBs, 21,22,23,24.   I think I can probably manipulate stuff again, but is this normal or am I
missing something?  I looked at the cool added rotation feature in version 4.1.2, but if you're scrolling text you may also need to mess with the scrolling direction.  I
realize I can probably accommodate this by re-arranging  the channel layout in the sequencing editor before I paste stuff from the imported file, but since the LOR sequencer
automatically adds and assigns devices/channels from the top down, it sure would make it easier to observe event programming in both programs if right-side-up in Superstar matched right-
side-up in the sequence editor. Is there some option to assign the location of the first channel of the first controller in addition to which end the controllers are located?  I really like the SuperStar software so I hope am I completely missing something simple here.  Real creativity lies with software that allows you to manipulate any given pixel at any time and at this point I just can't see going to the pixel editor for any major stuff, yet. 

Thank you for any assistance.

It's a little hard to explain but how text looks in the Sequence Editor does not matter. What matters is how it looks on the actual lights. SuperStar exports the CCBs from top to bottom in the order of their unit IDs. This may or may not correspond with the order that you have them laid out in your visualization. There are no known bugs in SuperStar concerning the rotation of text and how it appears on the actual lights. SuperStar figures out where to put the channels so that things look correct on the actual lights.

Are you rearranging things to get them to look correct on the actual lights? Or are you rearranging so that when you look in the Sequence Editor text looks correct to you?

Also, lightzilla was asking if the text rotation was a feature that was only in v4.36. Text rotation and direction of text has been there from the beginning. You will have it regardless of what version you are running. It is in the Text dialog box. There are four options for text rotation and there are 9 buttons in the "direction of motion" that give control of the direction the text moves.

I read you post more carefully. When you say " Real creativity lies with software that allows you to manipulate any given pixel at any time" do you mean that you are wanting to change pixels here and there after the export? If so then I understand why you want things to look the same in the sequence editor as in superstar.

In CCR mode superstar will always order the CCRs of a horizontal matrix from the bottom to the top. Meaning the first CCR is considered to be the bottom CCR. The reason I do this is because I want sequences to play the same horizontally as they do vertically. If you rotate the horizontal matrix 90 degrees clockwise then it becomes a vertical matrix. With a vertical matrix I wanted the CCRs to be ordered from left to right. And if you do that then it requires the CCRs to be ordered from bottom to top when they are rotated to be horizontal.

My other option would have been to have them ordered from top to bottom when horizontal, but that would mean they would be ordered from right to left when vertical and that just seems weird to me to have them ordered from right to left in a vertical matrix, but in hindsight perhaps I should have done that.

So back to your original request, to make them ordered the same in the sequence editor as superstar, right now if you are in CCR mode the actual ribbons of the horizontal matrix always have the first ribbon on the bottom, so to get them to match superstar would need to export them so the first ccr is at the bottom and the last one at the top. Currently you have no option to do that, so each string of your matrix will always be in reverse order relative to what is in superstar.

Another way to put it, using you example of putting a scene in the upper left corner, the upper left corner is string 21, 22, 23 and 24 because the strings are ordered from bottom to top in the display. In the exported sequence they are still in string 21, 22, 23, and 24 because in the export the strings start at the top and go downward. And this is true even if you put the controllers on the right.

Soooo, to solve the problem you can't use CCR mode. You can create a visualization and order them from top to bottom and then the exported sequence will also be from top to bottom and the order will match. Is that what you did last year?

Thanks for the quick response, Brian.  I get what your saying about the vertical related to horizontal.   I think I now understand why you did it that way.  

When I was talking about creativity, I was actually referring to your Superstar software itself and how much can be done within it.  I particularly like the morphing tool, but I will sometimes make changes in the sequence editor following an export from SuperStar. 

I did order the CCBs from top to bottom and re-arranged the pixel order from bottom to top in the sequence editor.  In the visualization screen I have the pixel order from top to bottom.  I've fiddled a bit more with the visualization program and now have it set up so I can copy and paste in the sequence editor and have it showing correctly.   I also managed to do the same in the animation screen in the sequence editor but that was quite a bit more tedious moving all those pixels as opposed to just swinging around a fixture in the visualization screen.   I think I'm now set to go, although after reading though your comments a couple of times, I'm understanding that there may be more than one way to arrange either the channels in the sequence editor or the actual pixels themselves.  Re-arranging the pixels may be less work.  I may have to explore that some more.   Thanks again for your help and for a great program!.  I'm looking forward to sequencing again this year with most of my work happening in SuperStar. :)