Light-O-Rama Forums

Distance using E682 as DMX bridge and LOR in DMX mode.

Cdanna77

What would the distance be if I were to use one of my ports off my 682 for DMX.

I'm looking to run the DMX Line from the 682 to one of my 27ch dumb rgb controllers and then daisy chain to the an additional 3 27ch controllers. The distance from the 682 to the first 27 ch controlers should be 20 ish feet.

Also would I lose any effects in last yes sequences if I run my LOR controllers in DMX mode.

I'm looking simplify my wires going out to the yard.

Could some please explain how I would go about doing that. Thanks in advance. Chris.

Hey Chris,

I did something similar last Christmas for my display and hopefully this will help you.

I used 4 LOR CMB24D's daisy chained in DMX mode that controlled 32 RGB floods.  The distance from the E682 to the first CMB24D was about 20 feet with no lag or loss of effects.

I also used 4 LOR Cosmic Color Bulbs/Controllers with a "cross over network cables" in DMX mode from another E682.  These were not daisy chained, so I had 4 separate runs of cat5 from the E682.  The longest distance was a little over 50 feet with no lag or loss of any effects.

Paul

Oh great to hear that 20 ft will be ok. would this be the same if I were to use the ctb16pc instead of what you did using cmb24d.also. How did you run different runs of cat5 off the 682. I thought you could only use 1 port out of the cluster of 4.

Edited by Cdanna77

If you are using a Cat 5 cable, you can easily run 100 feet with out any signal loss. Last year i had one of my Renards daisy chained off another that ran 45 feet, no issues at all.

Do you guys realize the LOR protocol is pretty much the same RS485 as DMX?   1000' is doable.

Thanks guys for the great info here.

One more question. Will I lose any effects running my ctb16pc's in DMX mode. I though I read that shimmers, twinkles,fades my not work properly.

Chris,

Once you setup the E682 cluster for DMX you can use all four (4) outputs of that cluster.

With regards to the CTB16PC it should be the same, once you get that into DMX mode.

Paul

One more question. Will I lose any effects running my ctb16pc's in DMX mode. I though I read that shimmers, twinkles,fades my not work properly.

You should have no issues at all. I ran in a DMX universe last year with my Renards and had no issues at all. DMX is actually faster then the other protocols out there. It can run at 500,000 baud rate easy. Not sure if LOR controlelrs implement baud rate in their firmware though. 

Thank you all. I'm hopefully going to be able to try this out this week or most likely next week. This would be a great thing eliminating some cords to the yard.

I have run my cmb16d in DMX, Fading I didn't notice any difference, same for twinkle maybe a little but to almost anyone else looking at it they couldn't tell, shimmer is different though, it still turns on & off really fast just not at the same rate as my controllers running on the LOR network ( it's slower )