Light-O-Rama Forums
dougd

Beta Release 4.034

WHAT A PHENOMENAL UPDATE!!!

Between how fast the sequence open up now to the change intensity's tool, this update was absolutely fabulous. 

Cant get over how fast my 28,000 channel sequences are opening now.

We can now very easily get purples, oranges and many other colors with just a few button clicks now.

Cant say enough about this update.

GREAT JOB!

• Like 2

I agree Doug! Made me take another look. Huge improvement on sequence opening and response time. Very impressed. 

• Like 1

Yes, agreed. Even on my slowest laptop, the load times and save times were drastically improved.

Thank you Bob and all of LOR.

• Like 1

OK.. now I may have to actually download S4.... LOL 

• Like 1

Very Very nice upgrades. Thanks to all involved.

Certainly load times improved but my first impression is that play time startup has slowed down a lot. I touch the play button and now it takes almost 10 seconds before it plays. This goes for stopping the play process with the spacebar and restarting with the spacebar...serious delay in starting now.

Certainly load times improved but my first impression is that play time startup has slowed down a lot. I touch the play button and now it takes almost 10 seconds before it plays. This goes for stopping the play process with the spacebar and restarting with the spacebar...serious delay in starting now.

Could you please send me (bob@lightorama.com) an email with the sequence? In the email, please clearly mention your forum username and this thread's URL, which is:

forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/36115-beta-release-4034/

Thanks.

I just upgraded my show computer to 4.00.34 this morning, so in about 7 hours I'll find out how it plays the show.  granted, my off season landscape lighting show is not exactly tough on the old computer....

OK Its a winner in my book. 35K plus channels and sequences over 500 meg it takes less than 20 seconds. Huge improvement from the 15 minutes it was taking me. Upgrade is worth its weight now for me.

I am still shocked.... Great Job LOR Team... wow.. I AM REALLY SMILING NOW...

Opening a sequence is very fast now. I changed the channel config and tried to save it and its taking forever. I am watching the task manager and see that its working and its already been 10 minutes to save the new LCC file. Any ideas?

Could you please send me (bob@lightorama.com) an email with the sequence? In the email, please clearly mention your forum username and this thread's URL, which is:

Thanks.

I'll boot up the show computer in a few minutes and get it sent out to you.

Opening a sequence is very fast now. I changed the channel config and tried to save it and its taking forever. I am watching the task manager and see that its working and its already been 10 minutes to save the new LCC file. Any ideas?

Same here Jeff. Seems there is a small glitch in how the data saves now. Took my 2 mins to save a sequence. Knocked it down to 1:30 with compressed sequence and verify sequence turned off but its not using any cpu or ram during saving, just seems like it stalls now on saving. 

I'll boot up the show computer in a few minutes and get it sent out to you.

Thanks, got it.  Are you sure this is different than early versions? I tried your sequence with both 4.0.32 and 4.0.34, and I didn't notice any time difference in starting play between the two of them.  Including both the initial play and also pause/unpause spacebar stuff.

It's definitely something that we can look into speeding up, but I'm trying to determine whether or not it's slower than it always has been.  At least on my machine, it doesn't seem to be any slower than before.

Can other people who have mentioned speed issues here also please send me (bob@lightorama.com) an email with the sequence? And in the email, please clearly state the following:

(1) Your forum user name;

(2) This thread's URL, which is:

(3) Exactly what you're doing that is taking longer than you would expect.

Thanks.

Email sent Bob.

Bob,

I don't know if this is related, but I thought I would throw is in the ring.  Unless you deleted them, you already have my sequences in my evening show.  If not, I can resend them.  Tonight was the first night for my show after upgrading my show computer to 4.00.34.  I went outside to watch the startup and at the end of the startup sequence, all the LOR controlled lights went out, however the E1.31 lights stayed on.  After a few seconds, everything came back on and ran normally.  As you recall from our previous discussions, the lights should not have gone out at the end of the startup sequence.  When I looked at the show status log, I saw something interesting.  The startup sequence ended at 19:57:00, and the first show sequence did not start for six seconds.  I did not stopwatch it, but six seconds is about right. Here is the log:

16:22:26: Comm Listener error 3: Comm Winsock Error / 10061: Connection is forcefully rejected
16:22:27: Connected to Comm Listener
16:22:26: Show Player starting
16:22:26: Schedule loaded
16:22:27: Initializing LOR networks
16:22:27: LOR networks initialized
16:22:31: Show Player initialized
16:22:32: Starting show: L:\Sequences\Year-round_Evening.lss
16:22:32: Loading compressed sequence: L:\Sequences\Landscaping startup 2014-08-03.las.lcs
16:22:32: Loading compressed sequence: L:\Sequences\Landscaping evening with colors 2015-05-11.lms.lcs
16:22:33: Loading compressed sequence: L:\Sequences\Landscaping evening with fancy colors 2015-05-11.lms.lcs
16:22:33: Loading compressed sequence: L:\Sequences\Steps up from door 2012-11-18.las.lcs
16:22:33: Loading compressed sequence: L:\Sequences\Steps up from walkway 2012-11-18.las.lcs
16:22:33: Loading compressed sequence: L:\Sequences\Steps up from driveway 2015-04-06.las.lcs
16:22:33: Loading compressed sequence: L:\Sequences\Walkway up from porch 2014-04-21.las.lcs
16:22:34: Registering startup trigger
16:22:34: Schedule loaded
19:56:50: Startup trigger detected
19:56:50: Clearing triggers
19:56:50: Starting Startup: L:\Sequences\Landscaping startup 2014-08-03.las.lcs
19:57:00: Ending Startup: L:\Sequences\Landscaping startup 2014-08-03.las.lcs
19:57:00: Registering interactive triggers
19:57:06: Starting Musical: L:\Sequences\Landscaping evening with colors 2015-05-11.lms.lcs
19:59:11: Trigger detected: Regular, Unit 05, Input 1
19:59:11: Starting Interactive: L:\Sequences\Steps up from door 2012-11-18.las.lcs

Thanks, got it.  Are you sure this is different than early versions? I tried your sequence with both 4.0.32 and 4.0.34, and I didn't notice any time difference in starting play between the two of them.  Including both the initial play and also pause/unpause spacebar stuff.

It's definitely something that we can look into speeding up, but I'm trying to determine whether or not it's slower than it always has been.  At least on my machine, it doesn't seem to be any slower than before.

After I sent it to you, I tried a much shorter sequence which is closer to the normal play times. In that case, it worked a lot faster and more normally. The one I sent was a very long sequence, longest I'll ever sequence and it was the first one to open using 4.0.34 when I saw it was taking an excessive amount of time to play.

I believe that we'll have a change in the next release that will significantly decrease saving time.

Jim, I don't think your issue has anything to do with the speed problems mentioned by others in this thread (you're using compressed sequences, which should be unaffected by all of this).  I will send you an email about the issue you're seeing, though it may be tomorrow (Tuesday) before I'm able to do so.

Copy Bob. I will have another data point this evening as I made one change today.

Unable to inserted channel and when converting to rgb  V4.034 freezes. Is anyone else experiencing this?

bbayjohn, please send me (bob@lightorama.com) an email with the sequence and the following information:

(1) Your forum username;

(2) This thread's URL, which is:

(3) Exactly where you're trying to insert a channel

(4) Exactly where you're doing the "convert to RGB" and how many for

Thanks.

Unable to inserted channel and when converting to rgb  V4.034 freezes. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Just happened to do those exact functions last night without any problem.  I will point out that it was a tiny 24 channel sequence (created for testing controllers or lights attached to a single controller), but did both insert channels and convert to RGB.  I did this on my Windows 7 sequencing PC with S4.00.34.

Just for good measure, I just tried it again on this old XP computer using one of my 2014 show sequences.  This is a just under 5,000 channel sequence.  I first inserted 48 channels, and then converted them to RGB.  No problem.  Next I inserted 512 DMX channels and then converted that to RGB.  Again no problem.  This was on an old XP computer.

I just tested this out on my show laptop. I used my existing channel config, (a bit over 10K channels and empty of effects), loaded another Universe of 512 channels, converted, but forgot to time it. I then added a second, extra Universe, I timed this one though. 17.5 seconds to convert. No freeze or crash. Prior to S4, just converting 8 RGB channels at the end of the config would take up to 15 minutes to convert. With S4, there is a major increase in speed compared to S3.

Now, when loading my channel config (10k channels) from scratch, it takes 46 seconds to load. No freeze or crash.

Opening a sequence of 279,396 KB takes 20 seconds.

Before 4.0.34 that was introduced on Friday, this same sequence took a bit over a minute to load, if memory serves.

Luckily, (knock on wood), I am not experiencing any crashes. 

This laptop is an i7 with 6 Gb RAM and an average graphics card, (confirmed by DevMike on the graphics card). Just prior to the S4 release, I had done a complete Windows 7 re-load. I got rid of about 2 years worth of junk in the process. I clean and defrag this PC once a week. I'm no PC expert, but, it may be possible some of these problems are stemming from a bloated PC. If you haven't done a "Disk Cleanup" and "Defrag" in awhile, might want to try that. In my years of fiddling with computers, I have found that the PC doesn't work as hard if there's no bloat there.

Just something to look into and think about.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Email sent

Am running windows 8.1
i5@1.7ghz
8gb ram
64 bit operating system
version 4.0.34 pro

Hi Bob

When I open this sequence in SE, expand Main section and attempt to insert channel above number 1 Firework (or anywhere in that section) I can go threw all the steps but no channels appear. Also the same happened when trying to insert 1 rgb channel

I tested this with another sequence and was able to insert other channels fine.

Kind regards

John