Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving Heads or dmx lighting with LOR

Nicpag123

hey I was just wondering I am new to Light O Rama and what do I need to deal with moving head lighting or other thearatrical dmx controlled lighting via light o rama and what liscence do I need if I'll just be using pixels and dmx no conventionaly controlled LOR boxes? thanks.

Hopefully this will help you:

----------------------------------------

SOFTWARE: 

For software, to control anything DMX you will need a advanced licence to LOR You can get that HERE.

You also mentioned you wanted to use pixels, to make pixel programming easier I recommend a free program called NutCracker, you can export NutCracker effects in to LOR

USB DMX:

If you just want to control standard theatrical lighting you can do this a few ways:

- The cheapest would be to use a standard LOR USB-Rs485 dongle, instead of setting it up as a LOR dongle in your network settings, go to the DMX tab and configure it as a dmx adapter. NOTE: doing it this way means you would have to create a patch cable that would convert pins 4-5 to pins 1-2 for normal dmx devices, but you can buy a pre-made adapter that converts the LOR USB-Rs485 to a 3 pin dmx line HERE.

- Alternatively you could use a Enttec dongle, or if you want to spend a little bit less money you could go with the HolidayCoro usb dmx dongle that functions similar to the Enttec Usb pro.

PIXEL CONTROLLERS:

As for pixels I personally will be using two of the holidayCoro Alpa-pix controllers in my show this year but there our lots of good controllers for pixels available.

A quick note about pixel controllers though is a lot of them use a protocol called E.1.3.1 This protocol is through your computers ethernet jack, if you want to learn more about E.1.3.1 and lighting in general a great thing to read is the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual

Here are some popular pixel controllers that work will with LOR:

- SanDevices E682

PixLite 16

- J1sys controllers (I used 3 of their P2 controllers last year)

- Alpha-pix controllers (I will be using 2 of these this year)

If you want to know in great detail about the pixel controllers mentioned above and even more pixel controls check this chart out! It is extremely useful!

* Also note that many of these pixel controllers mentioned above can output a dmx512 signal so you may not need a usb dongle.  :)*

LIGHTS THAT WORK WITH PIXEL CONTROLLERS:

As for lights that will work with the different pixel controllers there is a excellent list of different RGB pixels from various sellers that can be found HERE.

Good luck! hopefully this was able to help and not confuse you... :D  

• Like 2

Although I use some of the pixel controllers mentioned, I also use the LOR iDMX1000 to control my moving heads, smoke machine, snow machine and other dmx devices.

• Like 1

www.DMX King also carries the DMX Adapter ... 99.00 :D

I didn't mention dmx king in my list, because some people were having problems with the dmx king dongles, have you used them? how has dmx king been for you?

Edited by canadianchristmas

Although I use some of the pixel controllers mentioned, I also use the LOR iDMX1000 to control my moving heads, smoke machine, snow machine and other dmx devices.

What is your reason for using the idmx? there are so many good alternatives that are much cheaper? or did you buy it before other dmx dongle alternatives were available for LOR? Are there any advantages to a idmx over other usb dmx alternatives?

the only advantage I can think of is it can be used with a LOR Mp3 director.

Edited by canadianchristmas

What is your reason for using the idmx? there are so many good alternatives that are much cheaper? or did you buy it before other dmx dongle alternatives were available for LOR? Are there any advantages to a idmx over other usb dmx alternatives?

the only advantage I can think of is it can be used with a LOR Mp3 director.

I bought the iDMX when it was first released.  At the time, it was the only way to use DMX with LOR.  It has worked great for me over the years.

• Like 1

My dos centavos. For DMX on the first go round, keep it simple. A DMX dongle, whether iDMX, DMX King or Enttec is just fine. I have all of them, and like Denny, still use the iDMX because I got it way back when as well, and it sits inside my LOR network.