Light-O-Rama Forums

USA is awesome!

Mega Arch

I took a little break from Christmas props to install this flag pole this weekend. With Flag Day and the 4th of July just around the corner, I thought it was the perfect time to get 'er done.

You are the second group of people to see it. My youngest is currently serving, so I absolutely had to send the picture to him first.

God bless all of you who are serving or have served our country.
I thank you and your families for your sacrifice.

Daniel

FLAGS_zpspmkfls3d.jpg

Daniel, looks great. Being a retired Army 1SG may I suggest that you put two LED spot lights on it so you can light it up at night.

Daniel, looks great. Being a retired Army 1SG may I suggest that you put two LED spot lights on it so you can light it up at night.

I bought the LED solar light that fits at the top under the gold ball. It says it's legal to a 25ft pole. I hope it does as proclaimed. But that's really just to tide it over a little while. I have (2) LOR 50 watt floods that I plan to use in standalone mode fading form RED to White to Blue. The entire courtyard should light up very well.

I bought the LED solar light that fits at the top under the gold ball. It says it's legal to a 25ft pole. I hope it does as proclaimed. But that's really just to tide it over a little while. I have (2) LOR 50 watt floods that I plan to use in standalone mode fading form RED to White to Blue. The entire courtyard should light up very well.

You will likely find that the solar light on top won't be worth much.  When I put up my flagpole a few years ago, I looked at a bunch of installations in my area to see what they did for lighting.  For the ones with solar lights, the light did not do much and most did not make it through the night.

I started out with four 3 watt LED white lights each about one foot from the base of the pole.  I quickly realized that that did not work very well and moved two of the lights about 15 feed off to the side to the left and added two more about about 15 feet to the right.  That is sort of OK, but one of these days I'm going to add the two brighter lights that I used for my Tune to signs last Christmas to a point about 15 feet in front of the flagpole.

Mine is also a 25 foot pole that usually has a 4 x 6 foot US flag on top and a 3 x 5 foot California flag below it.  The photo in my avatar was take the day I put the flagpole up and that's a Army Nation Guard flag in the third position.  I flew that instead of the California flag while my nephew was in Afcrapistan.  I don't have any confidence that the pole would stay up with three flags attached if the wind blew very much.

Yep, they might say it's a light and it may make me legal, but after 1 night, glad I have the 50 watt floods. I need to get them installed soon. It's about 20 ft across the courtyard, so I plan to mount under the eaves. Should be perfect.

Only problem is one of the floods won't let me run it in standalone mode for some reason. So I need to get in the 200deg attic and run some cat5 first. Then I can run it off the other one.

Please tell him "Thank You" for serving our country.  And to all other Vets.....Thank you!!!

Yep, they might say it's a light and it may make me legal, but after 1 night, glad I have the 50 watt floods. I need to get them installed soon. It's about 20 ft across the courtyard, so I plan to mount under the eaves. Should be perfect.

Only problem is one of the floods won't let me run it in standalone mode for some reason. So I need to get in the 200deg attic and run some cat5 first. Then I can run it off the other one.

Well, here's a short video using the LOR 50 watt floods.

Just finished today - for Flag Day...

https://youtu.be/vWLlx6ZIhWc

• 1 month later...

I'm so proud of our Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin. She proclaimed flags at half-staff today through 8:00am Monday in honor of the four unarmed Marines slain by the cowardly terrorist in Chattanooga, Tenn. If you have a fixed flag pole like mine, affixing a black mourning streamer immediately below the spearhead is an acceptable remedy for not being able to half-mast your flag.

Flying%20flag.half-staff_zpswing4zur.png

Our Governor actually issued two executive orders today.

The second was arming the personnel in military installations in Oklahoma.

Hallelujah!

My family's thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those Marines and all who may be effected by this tragedy.

Good for her. Now let's see if the President will do that nationally - that's something he has done quite a few times.

I to am proud of her and Oklahoma, I use to live down by Durant on Lake Texhoma.

One thing i would be leery of... and yes I was military for almost 33 years and retired as a CSM.. Not all military members in the states at all the bases etc. need to be armed..  

That could cause more problems then it is worth with PTSD problems that the Military already has... Bases do already have security personnel...

Only addition would possible be 1 armed at the recruiting stations and even them on a rotating basis.. I know it gets to be a touchy situation but also does going over board because of one terrorist act.. 

At least make it easier for military members to go and get a state license to carry sense it will be out in the public and not on a military base.

Also take into consideration... mental conditions of people who can legally go out and purchase guns that should not be able to because of medications etc... same goes for military people...

I know as a fact there are some on mental medication that should not be allowed to carry a gun out in public because of PTSD and short tempers..

So before you praise them for saying they want a armed military think it over real well as to being picky about who, when , where before strapping guns on their hips.

Also she can call for the arming of her STATE GUARD PERSONNEL but not the ACTIVE Duty Components... She doesn't have that power..

Edited by Old Sarge

Sarge,
I agree with a lot of what you say, but not all of it. And it was the National Guard that she armed. Sorry I wasn't more clear in first post. I'm really not trying to turn this thread into a gun debate. I just wanted to point out that:

• we are saddened for the senseless loss of life,
  • how to properly half-mast a telescoping or other fixed pole,
  • and that freaking terrorists now know not to come to Oklahoma Recruiting locations.

And Sarge, as I've previously told you, thanks again for your years of service.

Here's the press release:

Friday, July 17, 2015
In Wake of Attacks, Gov. Fallin Authorizes Adjutant General to Arm Full-Time Military Personnel OKLAHOMA CITY - Governor Mary Fallin today authorized Oklahoma’s adjutant general, Maj. Gen. Robbie L. Asher, to arm full-time personnel at installations like the military facilities that were attacked Thursday in Chattanooga, Tenn.

“Four unarmed Marines were killed in what appears to be a domestic terrorist attack,” said Fallin. “It is painful enough when we lose members of our armed forces when they are sent in harm’s way, but it is unfathomable that they should be vulnerable for attack in our own communities. For that reason, I want to make sure that our National Guardsmen are authorized to arm themselves at our military facilities.”

Fallin issued an executive order allowing Asher to arm certain full-time personnel in military installations throughout Oklahoma with weaponry as he deems necessary “to adequately provide for security of the facilities and their occupants.” Such installations shall include, but not be limited to, military recruiting offices.

In another executive order, the governor instructed that all American and Oklahoma flags on state property be flown at half-staff through 8 a.m. Monday in honor of the four Marines killed.

“This attack is a horrible tragedy for our country and especially those in the state of Tennessee,” Fallin said. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of those who were killed.”

My 30 foot flag pole showed up today, going to go dig the hole for the base so I can concrete it in on Friday and hopefully get the pole up on Sunday.

My 30 foot flag pole showed up today, going to go dig the hole for the base so I can concrete it in on Friday and hopefully get the pole up on Sunday.

Congratulations.

Post some pics when you can!

• The topic was locked