Light-O-Rama Forums
sax

CS10 - Visualizer and cut CCRs

So, this has been an issue for me from the beginning.

I cut my CCRs to fit my roofline.  They have been functioning just perfect.  But the issue is, I have to put 50 Pixels in the visualizer even though I don't have all 50 in use.

Is it possible to remove this requirement?  Having extra pixels on my screen to fulfill this requirement is maddening.  Especially since I like to use Superstar and full yard morphs.  These pixels show up as a distraction in my visualizer.

There is a radio button in the options portion of visualizer that says "Dont show a warning if a CCR has an incorrect number of pixels".  Checking this box does nothing.

Thanks,

Sax

No.  Even if you don't use those pixels, the CCR/CCB/CCP controller still has to do something with them.  Since the Vis emulates the controller, it needs exactly 50 slots to do things.

DMX Pixels can only ever be acted on one-by-one, and so they don't have this issue.  

The check box is only for the warning when creating CCR pixels to let you know up front there is a problem.  That check box is not used for compiling.  The compile will ALWAYS fail unless you have 50 pixels defined.

OK,

So in my sequence, I only have the number of CCR pixels required to do my sequencing.  Example, my garage eaves use 46 CCR pixels on the left eave.  So, I program my sequence with only 46 pixels.  Run that sequence in a show.  It seems to work normal with pixels 47-50 missing in the sequence editor.

I do the same in visualizer.  Pixels 47-50 are bunched together hidden under my eaves.  Normally these don't do anything, simply because they have nothing programmed in them.  But it functions normally as it should on pixels 1-46.

However, when I import into SS, the unused hidden pixels have to be imported as well.  But...when doing whole yard morphs they do get programmed.  Then they do show up.  But not on the physical CCR simply because they are missing.

How does forcing me to include those 4 pixels in visualizer allow the controller to function properly when creating the sequence with only 46 pixels in the sequence editor allows the physical CCRs to work normally?

Not trying to be a pain in the butt here, but to me the visualizer is just a tool.  It should display what is programmed.  And if the CCR can function with just 46 pixels shouldn't  the Visualizer be able to do the same?

You are missing the point.

The CCR is NOT functioning with 46 pixels just because you are not using them.  The controller, the part that the Visualizer needs to EMULATE, is still sending data/acting on 50 pixels - even if you are not using them, wrapped them in tape, cut them off, or mailed them to china.  

Things like the sequence editor/etc do not emulate physical hardware.  They only send data.  To them there is nothing wrong with only sending data to 46 pixels because they don't have to do anything with the data.  They are producers, not consumers.

The CCR controller performs magic behind the scenes that you may not be using (things like resolution switching, chases, etc).  That magic requires 50 slots, not 46.  The Visualizer MUST behave like the controller, since it is pretending to BE a controller.  Therefore the Visualizer requires 50 slots.  Slots are represented with pixels.

You can always run your CCRs in DMX mode.  DMX pixels (as I said), have NO requirements that there be exactly 50 slots since they DON'T have any of the magic stuff that CCRs do.

What "magic stuff" would that be?  I didn't know there was a difference between CCR's, and DMX pixels? Am I missing something by not using CCR's?

Would there be anything lost by not having the macro channels if they aren't used in the first place?

The Macro channels are not the problem per se.  Even if you had a sequence that didn't use them, or didn't include them, the Vis is still going to require 50 slots to work with for a CCR since that is what the controller has.  The Visualizer is not emulating the strip, it is emulating the controller.  Whether you cut the string or not, use the macros or not, the controller still works with 50 slots and so must the Visualizer. 

... and it is not just the magic channels that effect how a Cosmic Color device needs to be emulated.  There are several parameters that can be set (resolution, reversed string 2, etc) which too always react as if there are 50 pixels - even if you cut some off.

If you are not using the Magic Channels, then you can put the cosmic color device on a DMX network.  Then if you only have 47 pixels only use 47.  DMX Pixel Fixtures don't have any of that config or macro stuff and so are straight forward.

Kinda seems that even DMX pixel strings/strips are done in groups of 50.  I have cut, and extended strips, and SS always seems to want to see the extended strips as 2 strips for certain effects.

Seems like a revision is coming. I agree with op and George that a screen position is not the same as defining when the macro channels are not defined and they are consumers

Thanks to the LOR team for taking the time and looking deeper into this.