Light-O-Rama Forums
pyrotech

TN02 - DMX Channel Carryover not working properly

TN02

Pixel Editor
Version 4.0.32

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

When setting up the prop definition in Pixel Editor the DMX channel carry over does not seem to be working properly.  Here is what I am trying to do...

I built a Matrix.  # of strings = 24 ; # of nodes per string = 48 ; # of folds in each string = 5

My Max Channel is set to 512

"Individual start channels"  box is checked

"separate Universe # for each RGB string" box is NOT checked

I go down the list assigning my DMX universe and start channels....

String 1 - Universe 1 - start ch 1     - end ch 144

String 2 - Universe 1 - start ch 145 - end ch 288

String 3 - Universe 1 - start ch 289 - end ch 432

String 4 - Universe 1 - start ch 433 - end ch 576  (This is where the problem occurs.  It should put the end channel at 512.  And, It should put a carry over of 64 in the box.  That doesn't happen.  It puts the end channel                                                                                at 576 and there is no way to edit the "end channel" field or the "carry over" field)

String 5 - Universe 2 - start ch 65   - end ch 209  (This is what I hope to see happen)

Now...I understand if I Uncheck the "individual start channels" box, the carry over seems correct....however, this won't work for how I am building my matrix.  Here is my ultimate goal....

strings 1-6     = Universe 1 (1-512) and Universe 2 (1-352)

strings 7-12   = Universe 3 (1-512) and Universe 4 (1-352)

strings 13-18 = Universe 5 (1-512) and Universe 6 (1-352)

strings 19-24 = Universe 7 (1-512) and Universe 8 (1-352)

As you can see...in each group of 6 strings I am only using 1 and a half universes (not a full two universes).

If you need more explanation, I am happy to explain further.  

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by pyrotech

TN02

Pixel Editor

Version 4.0.32

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

When setting up the prop definition in Pixel Editor the DMX channel carry over does not seem to be working properly.  Here is what I am trying to do...

I built a Matrix.  # of strings = 24 ; # of nodes per string = 48 ; # of folds in each string = 5 By this setting here, each line will have 5 pixels with only 4 on the last string. You are wanting 48 nodes on each string, I assume, or 5 strings of 48 pixels each, correct? If this is correct, then look at this screen capture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/40q8r0upa5cr5uo/5%20x%2048%20Matrix.JPG?dl=0

I believe this is the way you need to set it up. Since you'll be spanning a universe, the max channels should be set at "510", instead of "512" and "Individual Start Channels" should be not checked. and "# of folds in each string" should be not checked

Now, if you're creating a single string for the matrix, left to right then right to left, etc., then I think it should be set up like this:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/i063rvrieaigxfq/5%20x%2048%20Matrix_Continuous.JPG?dl=0

If I misunderstood your matrix size, then this explanation is incorrect. If I assumed properly, then this will be the way it's should be set-up

My Max Channel is set to 512

"Individual start channels"  box is checked

"separate Universe # for each RGB string" box is NOT checked

I go down the list assigning my DMX universe and start channels....

String 1 - Universe 1 - start ch 1     - end ch 144

String 2 - Universe 1 - start ch 145 - end ch 288

String 3 - Universe 1 - start ch 289 - end ch 432

String 4 - Universe 1 - start ch 433 - end ch 576  (This is where the problem occurs.  It should put the end channel at 512.  And, It should put a carry over of 64 in the box.  That doesn't happen.  It puts the end channel                                                                                at 576 and there is no way to edit the "end channel" field or the "carry over" field)

String 5 - Universe 2 - start ch 65   - end ch 209  (This is what I hope to see happen)

Now...I understand if I Uncheck the "individual start channels" box, the carry over seems correct....however, this won't work for how I am building my matrix.  Here is my ultimate goal....

strings 1-6     = Universe 1 (1-512) and Universe 2 (1-352)

strings 7-12   = Universe 3 (1-512) and Universe 4 (1-352)

strings 13-18 = Universe 5 (1-512) and Universe 6 (1-352)

strings 19-24 = Universe 7 (1-512) and Universe 8 (1-352)

As you can see...in each group of 6 strings I am only using 1 and a half universes (not a full two universes). Let me see if I can set one up for this. I believe this is very similar to mine. Give me a few minutes and I'll reply back.

Interesting. This is what the PE did when I created one to your specifications. See the set-up here:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hci1uryryytoinv/24%20x%2048%20Matrix.JPG?dl=0

Maybe I should have read the entire post before replying. Sorry about that.

Now it looks like a bug. Maybe these screen caps will help Matt and LOR to discern what's happening. It sure looks like something is screwy here.

A note pyrotech, since DMX only uses 510 channels of the available 512 per universe, you'll need to set the max number to 510 instead on each string. I know this has nothing, well, a little to do with your problem, but just a bit of FYI.

Sorry I couldn't help further.

If you need more explanation, I am happy to explain further.  

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by Ron Boyd

Here is a bit more information.  First of all, A big thanks to Ron for helping me set up the prop correctly.  Now that I "think" it is set up correctly here is what I am trying to do....

The matrix is 48 x 24

"actual # of strings" = 4

"exact # of RGB nodes per string" = 288

"# of folds in each string" = 5

"Max Channel" = 510

"individual start channels" is checked.

Here is how I want each string set up....

string 1   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 1 (1-512) and Universe 2 (1-352)

string 2   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 3 (1-512) and Universe 4 (1-352)

string 3   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 5 (1-512) and Universe 6 (1-352)

string 4   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 7 (1-512) and Universe 8 (1-352)

Total number of nodes in matrix = 1152

When I attempt this set up...the end channel is still wrong and the carry over is incorrect.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Tim

Edited by pyrotech

Hi guys,

I haven't heard any official word on this one.  Is this a legitimate bug?  

Thanks,

Tim

This is still broken.

I am running the most recent version of software 4.0.36

Any update would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

Hello,

I want to start out by saying, I mean no disrespect.  I can only imagine how busy you guys are trying to get this new software up to par before a general release. 

But...

What is the point of having a Beta period if our issues never get addressed.  I opened up this bug report almost a month ago and I haven't heard a peep from anyone about it.  Even if you guys can't fix it, at least communicate to me something.  Say, "we're working on it" or "sorry, your out of luck", or "You're a moron and you are not using the software correctly".  

Please respond with something.  It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

What is the point of having a Beta period if our issues never get addressed.  

Please do not overgeneralize.  Your issue may have slipped through the cracks, however 'our' implies that ALL beta testers did not have a single issue addressed, and I take an exception to that ;)

I will ENSURE that someone will reply to you.

My fault. When I read "A big thanks to Ron for helping me set up the prop correctly" I stopped reading because I thought the problem had been solved.

I agree there is a bug in the carryover calculation when the number of channels in a string is larger than the max channel value. It is being addressed -- I am fixing the code today, however, I am not sure when the fix will get released.

I am sorry for not addressing it sooner.

Matt

Hey Matt,

Thank you very much!  I really appreciate it.  

Have a great week.

Thanks,

Tim

Here is a screen capture of the corrected logic. Based on your previous post, I believe this is what you were looking for. Please confirm. I also did a Prop > Layout to verify that every channel was assigned correctly.

Matt

post-2660-0-42643200-1435612831_thumb.pn

Yes!!!

That is what I am trying to do.  

The only thing I see that is different from mine is the max channels should be 510.  Therefore, the "end channel" on each would be 510.

Thanks,

Tim

If max channels is 510, then this statement cannot be correct:

string 1   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 1 (1-512) and Universe 2 (1-352)

string 2   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 3 (1-512) and Universe 4 (1-352)

string 3   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 5 (1-512) and Universe 6 (1-352)

string 4   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 7 (1-512) and Universe 8 (1-352)

Above you are saying that universes 1, 3, 5, and 7 go to 512, which make sense since:  288 * 3 = 864 channels = 512 + 352

If universes 1, 3, 5, and 7 only go to 510, then your spec should be:

string 1   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 1 (1-510) and Universe 2 (1-354)

string 2   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 3 (1-510) and Universe 4 (1-354)

string 3   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 5 (1-510) and Universe 6 (1-354)

string 4   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 7 (1-510) and Universe 8 (1-354)

This would be 170 pixels on the odd universes and 118 on the even universes.

The good news is that the corrected logic will handle either situation.

Matt

string 1   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 1 (1-510) and Universe 2 (1-354)

string 2   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 3 (1-510) and Universe 4 (1-354)

string 3   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 5 (1-510) and Universe 6 (1-354)

string 4   = 288 Nodes;  Universe 7 (1-510) and Universe 8 (1-354)

Sorry for the confusion.  what you have written here is exactly what I am looking to do.  Thank you very much.

The good news is that the corrected logic will handle either situation.

Very exciting.  I look forward to the release that has this fix implemented.  

Thanks again,
Tim