Light-O-Rama Forums

Using sACN E1.31 with LOR software

jcdammeyer

Its been about 3 years since I unpacked my LOR stuff which consists of LOR 2.9.4 (Advanced), a CTB16DV6  and an iDMX-1000 which is limited to 256 DMX slots. 

I thought I'd get a jump on Christmas lighting this year since I scored 150 of the RGBW lamps that were used here http://www.autoartisans.com/rings/Barge1a.jpg

A few years ago I used one of the spare lamps with an RS485 transceiver to convert DMX to CAN and I ran 4 ORing lamps which lit up trees but now I've now built an RS485 to CAN bus converter for each new string of 50 lamps, 5 channels RGBW and Intensity per lamp adds up to 250 slots. The same module can also be configured to take DMX512A in and run GE-35 Christmas bulb protocol.

As far as I know the iDMX-1000 I have still only supports 250 slots so I could run one string of 50 lamps. I've also got an Ethernet to 4x DMX board from Joshua Systems.  I used it with Vixen software a couple of years ago but never took it any further.  I don't think they are around anymore (no response to emails) so I've now prototyped up a PICTail based PIC32 that receives sACN E1.31 packets and converts it into either DMX512A RS485 or directly into the CAN bus protocol for the lamps.

In either case, to run the planned 8 or 9 DMX universes Ethernet appears to be the simple way to make that work.

Does LOR software now handle E1.31?

Controlling 50 of the RGBW lamps onto a DMX Universe isn't really a lot different than a string of 50 RGB PIXELS or BULBs.  Will the LOR Superstart software work with someone elses RGB hardware is it restricted to the LOR stuff?  I realize that question should probably be a separate topic. 

Or, under NDA does LOR supply their RS485 protocol so that my converter can look like an LOR product?

John

Does LOR software now handle E1.31?

Or, under NDA does LOR supply their RS485 protocol so that my converter can look like an LOR product?

John

There is a whole forum here about E1.31, so I think the answer to that questions is YES :)  You'll probably want to start reading in there.

No, our protocol is proprietary, but since we support DMX (and DMX/ACN) so no issues if that's what you can take as an input.