Light-O-Rama Forums

Possible 16 channel solid state relay controller? Idea...

canadianchristmas

I have had this idea for a few months I thought of a great cheap 16 channel light controller it would use 3# 6 channel 5v dumb rgb controllers and 2# 8 channel sainsmart solid state relay boards. This control would not be able to dim the lights like a LOR control but for $100 (Canadian) with free shipping on all parts I think it is a good deal for a diy dmx relay box.

Let me know what you guys think of this idea would it work why or why not?

Thanks!  :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Concept:

How it would work, the rgb controller outputs 6 channels or 3 Rgb channels the 6 channels would go to the first 6 relays on one of the 2 relay boards then the second 6 channel rgb controller would go to the first 6 channels on the second board, and the third 6 channel control would power the 2 left over relays on each board. The sain smart relays are solid state so they would not break as fast as mechanical.

The parts:

bellow I have just copied and pasted the contents of my ebay shopping cart:

1815264943284040_2.jpg
Quantity: 
C $61.20
Economy Int'l Shipping(12-23 business days)
Economy Int'l Shipping
FREE

1115265036524040_1.jpg
Quantity: 
C $38.76
Economy Int'l Shipping(12-23 business days)
Economy Int'l Shipping
FREE

Why would you do that? When you get 24 dmx channels from lor for $ 110.00 . Or 27 dmx channel controller from holiday Coro for $60.00.

Edited by Dennis Laff

Why would you do that? When you get 24 dmx channels from lor for $ 110.00 . Or 27 dmx channel controller from holiday Coro for $60.00.

Because the dmx controller I included can be run at 5v the relay boards are 5v the 27 channel board and LOR board are 12v and would not work with the solid state 5v boards.

Because the dmx controller I included can be run at 5v the relay boards are 5v the 27 channel board and LOR board are 12v and would not work with the solid state 5v boards.

Why is 5V operation an issue? 

Maybe the better question is what are you trying to accomplish?  It sounds like you are trying to go to an awful lot of trouble to build a controller with far less capability than just buying an available DMX controller (LOR or otherwise).

• Like 1

the 5v is a issue because I can only find solid state relay boards that are 5v and not 12v, but as you said it may be the best option is just to buy a controller from LOR, this concept was just a idea, and when getting it all wired and in a weatherproof box it may come to a similar price anyway.

Why is 5V operation an issue? 

Maybe the better question is what are you trying to accomplish?  It sounds like you are trying to go to an awful lot of trouble to build a controller with far less capability than just buying an available DMX controller (LOR or otherwise).

the guy who sells that on Ebay is called Earnest. I have ordered loads from him.

He has a DMX relay board in his catalog. I don't think it is on Ebay and it isn't on his website.

You could do it cheaper just by mounting some of those together

Very last product on here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6dCx7Jc8zNnVHNPbmtZZnlvXzQ/view?usp=sharing

Also he has a 24 channel RGB controller that can run at 5v. I have two and they work great, and are just a bit more than the 6 channel.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

the guy who sells that on Ebay is called Earnest. I have ordered loads from him.

He has a DMX relay board in his catalog. I don't think it is on Ebay and it isn't on his website.

You could do it cheaper just by mounting some of those together

Very last product on here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6dCx7Jc8zNnVHNPbmtZZnlvXzQ/view?usp=sharing

Also he has a 24 channel RGB controller that can run at 5v. I have two and they work great, and are just a bit more than the 6 channel.

Thanks for the help, I just sent him a email for a quote.

The CMB24 can control 5V stuff at 5V without issue.  There is no requirement to run 12V for outputs.

The board itself requires 12V to run, but that can be supplied from a cheap wall wart.  You would then supply 5V to the switching side of the board.

http://www1.lightorama.com/documentation/

CMB24D User Manual

Page 12:  Use a 12 to 24 volt DC, 300 milliamp external power supply here if the power input to channels 1-12 is less than 12 volts DC.