Light-O-Rama Forums
jerrywolfer

S4 with pixels and music without Superstar

Hi Ron watched your video on S4. I have not downloaded S 4 yet. But have been using nutcracker for a few years look very similar to S4 now what is the advantage to S4 over nutcracker.? Thanks Dennis

In S4 pixel editor versus nutcracker Both the same ?

Very similar, but also very different. I wasn't fluent with Nutcracker, just a few effects here and there. Setting up the networks, in my opinion is easier in S4. The channels are the same as your channel config in the SE. In NC, they were continuous. In other words, if you had 10 k channels, your pixel numbers were 1-10k. In the Pixel Editor, the pixel numbers are Universe 1 pixel 1- 170 Universe 2 Pixel 1-170 etc. So whatever your Channel config is, so is the PE channel config. 

The advantage to S4, in my opinion, since I use LOR software almost exclusively, is the ease of use. Yes, setup in a major PITA. once it's set up though, it's a breeze. I use Superstar to sequence and the SE to run the show. Once you figure out what needs to be done, all 3 programs work together nicely, at least the way I'm using them.

• Like 1

Thanks Ron any problem with downloading S4 now or is it best o wait for the final release thanks again.

As with any Beta, there's probably going to be bugs. However, LOR has gone from 2 Beat releases per week to a single release. I'm thinking most of the bugs have probably been found. I'm not saying there won't, but there are far fewer bug reports now than there were a month ago. 

The advantage to getting it now though, would be to get the Visualizer set up. If you have 2 PCs, put S4 on one and leave what you have on the other. The way I understand it, once you convert a S3 prop to a S4 prop, you may not be able to use it in S3 again. Set up S4 on the second PC, start playing around with it. Get the visualizer done. Once S4 comes as the Production software in June, all of your files will be in place and ready to use. 

The Sequence Editor had some upgrades, but if you're using lots of pixels, you won't see much improvement. That said, if you follow the instructions in the video I posted and get the Pixels into the SE, it's a major drop in file size. My sequence in the video went from 173+ Mb down to a bit over 1 Mb. That alone is worth the upgrade to me.

Thanks for the info Ron. only have one computer so I think i'll wait  on the plus side I am retired little more free time now.

The visualizer will save a backup copy of your S3 Vis file before converting it to S4.  You can always use that copy in S3 again, however it won't have any of the changes you made in S4.

FYI:  We still plan on releasing twice a week during the beta.  Recently the stuff we have been working on has been taking longer than a few days to fix, so it doesn't make sense to build a release if there is nothing earth shattering in it.  

In fact, if yours truly doesn't finish up what he is working on tonight the release may not happen again tommorow.  :(

Thanks Mike for clarifying. I forgot about that little tidbit. My apologies.

I figured it might be something like that. Thanks for the update.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Thanks Mike for clarifying. I forgot about that little tidbit. My apologies. I figured it might be something like that. Thanks for the update.

No problem.  I'm pretty sure the change I have is going to be done in time (before I have to go to the Dentist), so there should be something tomorrow.

Everyone thank Bob for the builds.   Creating one takes a bunch of steps and a couple of hours time.  If they are anything like the builds I used to do for a different project, they are thankless jobs.

I'm still confused. ( That's nothing new!)

Last year, I programmed pixel effects by sections in SS, cut and pasted them into SE, then ran it that way.

Now I seem to be hearing that I still need to do that but I can also program pixels in PE and cut and paste those too. (Dealing with something called an intensity file?!)

How does needing three programs make my show prep easier? Are these eventually going to be consolidated so that the cutting and pasting is automatic?

I need a hug.

An update for those of you who have the new Beta 4.0.18 or 4.0.20. In the Pixel Editor, prior to the aforementioned builds, there was a setting for "Pixel Editor" or "Traditional" when building a prop. In my testing with these settings, I found that a non-pixel (a.k.a., Dumb pixels) prop would not import into the PE if it was set to Pixel Editor. Once the Traditional setting was selected, then those props played properly in the PE and were also left in the SE after migration (touched upon in the video above).

That said, in 4.0.18 and 4.0.20, the name for the "Traditional" setting has been changed to "Sequence Editor". It does the same thing, I assume, but just has a different name. Matt said the Traditional name was confusing, thus, the name change.

I assume, this update is only for a "Dumb" element or a non-RGB element such as, the LED star on a pixel tree. If my understanding is correct, the Pixel Editor setting will be for Smart Pixels.

Hey Ron,

Thanks for putting together that tutorial.  It was very helpful.  

So, I am making a bit of progress learning the new Pixel Editor software.  I have one question that has yet to be answered and I am hoping you (or anyone) can help.  Here is what I did...

- migrated my SS sequence into Pixel editor.

- Made a few changes to some of my CCR's in Pixel Editor

- Migrated it back into sequence editor.  (saved the intensity file)

- Therefore, now, in my Sequence editor I can see the new Pixel editor props as an intensity file.   

My problem is...when I play back my sequence in sequence editor I am not able to see any of the pixel editor stuff in my visualizer.   Therefore, how can I view intensity files in the visualizer?  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim