Light-O-Rama Forums

Reading us I see that the PE has a movie effect. Does this mean I can bring in a movie on my roof matrix?

Yes you can, with one catch: PE can only use uncompressed AVI files at this time; and you will need them to be 20 frames per second. VirtualDub is a free program that can produce such files. I recommend the version on videohelp.com called VirtualDub AIO (all in one) because it includes the extra filters required to read a variety of video formats (the version available on the virtual dub web site does not).

I've applied the movie effect to my "whole house" group and it worked great.

Matt

Thanks Matt.. This is fixing to be fun !!! Haha.....

Matt; u probably could also use Ffmpeg

Ffmpeg -r 20 -i frozen.mp4 -s 50x50 frozen.avi

This should take the frozen.mp4 movie , resample it to 20fps resize it to 50x50 and then create an avi file. Windows download of Ffmpeg is on nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases. It is a self extracting exe

Edited by smeighan

Matt; u probably could also use Ffmpeg Ffmpeg -r 20 -i frozen.mp4 -s 50x50 frozen.avi This should take the frozen.mp4 movie , resample it to 20fps resize it to 50x50 and then create an avi file. Windows download of Ffmpeg is on nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases. It is a self extracting exe

There are several issues here:

1. ffmpeg is a command line tool and thus more difficult to use than Virtual Dub. I know there are GUI interfaces to ffmpeg and I have tried several. None that I have tried allow the commands necessary to produce uncompressed AVI files. Thus, I recommend people interested in the movie effect stick with Virtual Dub for now.
  2. ffmpeg does not produce output that is compatible with beta version 4.0.14 (although this will be fixed in 4.0.16).
  3. The command line shown above is not correct.

Once 4.0.16 is released and you want to try ffmpeg to convert movies, try something like this from the Windows command line:

ffmpeg -r 20 -i "Linus and Lucy.mp4" -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb32 -an -s 25x24 -y LinusAndLucy.avi

• "-r 20" changes the frame rate to 20 frames per second (required for your movie to play back at the correct speed in the Pixel Editor)
  • "Linus and Lucy.mp4" is the input file (set to your input video file, doesn't need to be mp4, just anything ffmpeg can read)
  • "-an" removes audio from the output (optional, but makes the output file smaller)
  • "-s 25x24" sets the output size, the first number is the width, the second is the height (set to the size of your pixel matrix)
  • "-y" if the output file already exists, overwrite it (optional)
  • "LinusAndLucy.avi" the output file name (set as desired, but must have an avi extension)

The AVI file that is produced will be usable by the movie effect and also should be viewable with Windows Media Player.

Matt

Matt, will I be able to create a slideshow for a matrix using the new software. Like jpg pictures. Tjanks