Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz-89

Thinking of purchasing LOR in UK

Recommended Posts

Hi, I live in the United Kingdom and am thinking of purchasing an LOR kit.

My question is: will LOR make a kit with UK sockets for my current lights or should I re-wire the sockets myself? or order new lights with Edison plugs?

Can somebody please advise me, thank-you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomaz-89 wrote:

Hi, I live in the United Kingdom and am thinking of purchasing an LOR kit.

My question is: will LOR make a kit with UK sockets for my current lights or should I re-wire the sockets myself? or order new lights with Edison plugs?

Can somebody please advise me, thank-you.


Hi,

I use LOR here in UK with (mostly) 240V lights and I can thoroughly recommend them. Which particular LOR product are you considering?

Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

grandad wrote:

Which particular LOR product are you considering?


I think I may start simple with the 16 channel starter pack.
How have you connected your 240v lights?

Thanks, Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first year with LOR. it's fantastic.

I bought just the hobbyist board and wired it myself as this cuts down on the weight and makes the shipping cost a lot less expensive.

I'm using all 110v lighting and bought the male and female plugs from: www.actionlighting.com.

Get one you won't regret it, I'm ready to order my next one/two if the wife will let me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomaz-89 wrote:

I think I may start simple with the 16 channel starter pack.
How have you connected your 240v lights?



Hello Tom,

I purchased the hobbyist boards which Michael mentions, popped them in IP55 enclosure boxes and I wire directly to the board. You a right to want to start simply, the sequence programming can, no make that does take a long time.

Michael, if you are purchasing more boards, make sure you wait for the LOR sales in April / May.

Martin

BTW: why not fill in your profile with your location. It may be useful to other UK users

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom,

I use the CTB-16D boards. I think it very much depends on what type of lighting you are planning to run, 240vac / 24vac or LEDs. The 16Ds are designed to switch 110/240 vac on their 16 channels. However they can be arranged to run 8 channels 240vac and 8 channels 24vac (or any other low voltage ac) I do this on a couple of mine. So, with a little tinkering they can run all of the above light types. One thing to consider is that fading on LED sets is very often not as smooth as incandescent sets. If you were going to run LED floods / wall-wash I believe you would need to purchase the CMB-16D boards which are for DC, but they require a DC supply to them I believe.

If you need any more info, please ask away. The guys & gals in this forum are a friendly, helpful bunch.

Good luck, and a very happy Christmas to you and yours.

Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I'm in the UK as well, and am going to 32 channels of LOR next year from a static display. I've already purchased the software and just need to wait for my bonus/the sale before ordering two controllers. Everything we use is 110v imported from the US (why is shipping so expensive?!?!)

I have done some work synching The Pogues Fairytale of New York, just the timing for the moment. I can then decided what channels will do what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

Firstly Happy New Year!:dude:
I have just taken the plunge and purchased a CTB-16KD kit and am waiting for delivery. I have never used the equipement before but have seen it in use. I am very impressed. Not looking too forward to the programming side though, I'll probably screw it up somewhere.

So Guy's I need your help when I set it up if it's okay.



Cheers, Pete.

Sunny (not really) Southend On Sea, Essex. England

Home to the longest pleasure pier in the world (when it doesn't keep getting hit by boats/ships).:cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Pete, congrats on taking the plunge. If you need any help there are plenty of people on here as well as over on the Planet Christmas forum (www.planetchristmas.com - not sure if I should be advertising them on here or not, but it's too late now...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Pete.

Welcome to this forum.

I am another UK user, used 32 channels for 2007 and have another 16 channels so far for this year.

I am trying to get my Husband to treat me to more channels as a retirement present. Promising to have a dinner on the table every night when he gets home from work isnt working as he says I will be spending more time glued to the PC sequencing wink.gif

Watch out, this is very addictivebig_grin.gif

Linda

Nr Norwich, Norfolk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Linda Hadden wrote:

Hi Pete.

Welcome to this forum.

I am another UK user, used 32 channels for 2007 and have another 16 channels so far for this year.

I am trying to get my Husband to treat me to more channels as a retirement present. Promising to have a dinner on the table every night when he gets home from work isnt working as he says I will be spending more time glued to the PC sequencing wink.gif

Watch out, this is very addictivebig_grin.gif

Linda

Nr Norwich, Norfolk



Hi Linda, Thanks for the positive comment. I am okay with the electronics side of things, but it's the software side where I'll probably screw up. Had a mess about with the demo but. couldn'y get my head round what i was doing. I now have the full software and this seems to be in a different league. I downloaded a tune from official LOR forum but I can't seem to get the music to play. The display on the CPU shows but it says it can't find the music file, but it's there. Will have to carry on scratching my head.
Peter.








Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woodchip wrote:

Hi Pete, congrats on taking the plunge. If you need any help there are plenty of people on here as well as over on the Planet Christmas forum (http://www.planetchristmas.com - not sure if I should be advertising them on here or not, but it's too late now...)


Hi Woodchip,

Many thanks for your support as well, feel better already knowing help is at hand.

Cheers all:D

Pete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peter B wrote:

I now have the full software and this seems to be in a different league. I downloaded a tune from official LOR forum but I can't seem to get the music to play. The display on the CPU shows but it says it can't find the music file, but it's there. Will have to carry on scratching my head.




Welcome Peter, You don't say which version of LOR you are running, is it LOR-I or LOR-II. I run LOR-I and will get to grips with LOR-II this year (hopefully!)

It may be different in LOR-II but in LOR-I the music file (.mp3 or .wav) is associated with the sequence file in the sequence editor. Under the "Edit" menu click "Audio File" A pop-up file window will appear, navigate to the music file you are using, highlight it and click "Open" Now save the sequence and that music file will always be associated with that sequence file; as long as you don't move the music file as I did once when doing some PC housekeeping :shock:

Martin

BTW: Is the little-one, with you in your avatar picture, a new addition recently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

grandad wrote:

Peter B wrote:
I now have the full software and this seems to be in a different league. I downloaded a tune from official LOR forum but I can't seem to get the music to play. The display on the CPU shows but it says it can't find the music file, but it's there. Will have to carry on scratching my head.




Welcome Peter, You don't say which version of LOR you are running, is it LOR-I or LOR-II. I run LOR-I and will get to grips with LOR-II this year (hopefully!)

It may be different in LOR-II but in LOR-I the music file (.mp3 or .wav) is associated with the sequence file in the sequence editor. Under the "Edit" menu click "Audio File" A pop-up file window will appear, navigate to the music file you are using, highlight it and click "Open" Now save the sequence and that music file will always be associated with that sequence file; as long as you don't move the music file as I did once when doing some PC housekeeping :shock:

Martin

BTW: Is the little-one, with you in your avatar picture, a new addition recently?




Hi Martin,

Thanks for your help. I'm running LORI on one cpu and LORII on the other. I've had great help from numerous people on the forum, and will be speaking via phone to Linda at the weekend. Yes new addition October, 2007. Granddaughter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...