Light-O-Rama Forums

How to mount LED Strips under Retaining Wall Stone Cap

keith5885

Hey, has anyone done this or have a good idea on how best to mount LED RGB Strips under the cap of a retaining wall like the one you see below? It will be straight though so don't worry about curves. The strips should point down towards the ground under the cap. Should give it a cool look for landscaping.... and for LOR shows all year long :)

Glue it somehow? Trying to think of something nice and permanent that will stay there year around. 

6.jpg

Edited by keith5885

The sticky stuff on the back of some strips is probably too weak, but you could get the sleeves that go over them, and the little plastic holders that screw in.

I would zip tie the strips to 1/2" pvc pipe as the pipe is flexible enough to bend around the curves then use pvc clips and anchor them into the wall.

Just use a bead of silicon, gives the backside better weather protection.  If you need to replace a section down the road, razor blade works well.

I have many feet of RGB strip on the underside of bullnose brick.  I used RGB strip that is fully enclosed in a hollow silicon tube (not a solid fill).  I used a bead of silicon on the back side of the silicon tube to "glue" the strip to the underside of the brick.  At the first end that I glued, I put the silicon on about 10 inches of the strip and then held it in position about 5 minutes.  Then I would apply silicon to about a foot and hold that in position for about a minute.  Then just keep moving along the strip.  At the end, hold it in position for a couple minutes.  The strip I have installed that way has been rock solid for several years now.  Looks really good.

<edit>

I'm going to walk outside right now and get some photos and add to my web page at:

http://newburghlights.org/Landscaping.html

Hope to have the photos added later this evening.

Edited by k6ccc
  • Like 1

Got my computer issues resolved (migrating to a new domain controller)  so should have the photos I took last weekend onto the website this evening.