Light-O-Rama Forums
Trickyd

4.xx stable enough to start realy using?

Good afternoon all,

As a general, do we feel 4.xx is stable enough today to start using it as the version for Christmas 2015?  Pro and con please?

Dick de Wit

The Netherlands

Edited by Trickyd

Almost all the bugs, besides some trivial ones have been worked out. There is no con to using version 4.xx for 2015 except if you dont want to pay for it.

I've been using it exclusively. I still have S3 on a desktop, but has not been used since S4 was released.

So far I have only been playing with S4 on my sequencing PC - mainly that means trying to figure out how to use the new features and how the pieced fit together.  As I run a year round show, I have not upgraded my show computer, and likely wont for a few months.  I am getting close to starting for real sequencing for Christmas 2015 and expect to use S4 for that.  I see no point in sequencing in S3 for 2015 and having to re-do it in S4.  I am doing enough lighting config changes for 2015 that everything will need some re-sequencing and only want to do it once.

While I have not yet figured out the Pixel Editor, I use the Sequence Editor almost daily and as far as I've been able to ascertain it seems to work perfectly.

The new advanced visualizer works. I bet everyone will be able to use this. But....the old visualizer does not work at all. So plan accordingly. Mike said he will work on that on Monday.

Pixel editor-- this just is not working as I had hoped. No copy and paste functions. And I am not able too use it to create effects for just parts of a song. If I want to use it for my floods...I have to program my entire song with those floods in PE.

Since I typically use superstar to do my programming, I can only compare programming of se or PE to superstar. PE just does not come close to beating ss. I was hoping to use PE to add effects at times to my completed ss sequences. But this is not possible.

The pixel intensity files have not grown on me at all. I must be too much of a control freak, because I don't like not being able to edit or control parts of the pixel intensity files....it is just there. And to correct I must go back into PE.

Now, my yard does not have pixel trees, matrixes or grids. These may be better served in PE than my yard of pixels in trees and bushes, rgb floods and dumb rgb pumpkins.

But my hope was to be able to make effects at times in PE, complete control at other times using SS...all in the same song. Not possible currently in s4.

With the new software and the SE being only 10 minutes to open now I am sticking with the old fashion way. Once I am able to bring in the visualizer into the PE I will start playing with it.

The visualizer is great having all my props on one screen now and it runs flawless with no lag or skipping. That by itself is worth the 50 bucks to me. Once the PE gets a few upgrades and I learn it I hope to drop my file size down and open even faster.

I hope to see a PE video soon and that would answer a lot of questions.

Keep up the great work guys.

I agree with Sax and Jeff. The Vis is much improved and is very usable and useful now, though I would like to be able to see a pixel at 30% intensity show up brighter. We don't all run our pixels at a blinding 100 %

The Pixel Editor is not growing on me yet. I too do not have thousands of pixels and am a control freak to the pixel level. PE does not come close to giving me the control I desire. Hopefully it's early days and the interaction between SE and PE will continue to evolve.

I agree with Sax and Jeff. The Vis is much improved and is very usable and useful now, though I would like to be able to see a pixel at 30% intensity show up brighter. We don't all run our pixels at a blinding 100 %

The Pixel Editor is not growing on me yet. I too do not have thousands of pixels and am a control freak to the pixel level. PE does not come close to giving me the control I desire. Hopefully it's early days and the interaction between SE and PE will continue to evolve.

This is exactly the reason I never used Nutcracker except for an effect here and there. Usually just a spiral on my 16 x 50 pixel tree. Once I learned how to do it in Superstar, I never went back to Nutcracker.

What I have found with the Pixel Editor, is, I can bring in my completed lms files, save it as an intensity file, and delete about 10k channels out of the original file, leaving only a few channels for elements that, as of now, will not import into the PE (I have a Bug report for it). I had one sequence go from 147+ Mb down to a bit over 1 Mb. Now that's worth the $50 just for that option. It does take a bit of time to accomplish this, 5-7 minutes per sequence, but when you have over 30-40 hours per sequence already invested, what's 5-7 minutes?

However, I also tried to add an effect to my pixel tree that took a little over 3 minutes to get it right. I did the same effect in Superstar and it took ~ 30 seconds and it was right the first time. It doesn't look like it will be a time saver for us, what was it you said Phil, Control freaks?

Now, for my voice over sequences, in passed years, I used NC and the Pinwheel (last year only)and Butterfly effect to create my sequence for the entire display. That was an easy effect that will probably be done just as fast in the PE. Those 4 or 8 sequences, depending how many I want to use, will be worth the $50 upgrade for me.

All in all, I absolutely love the new updates, especially the Visualizer and the option explained above. 

I just want to clarify the comment about "no copy paste" in the Pixel Editor. You can copy SE channel effects into a PE sequence. You can copy/paste within PE. You just can't paste a PE sequence into SE.

Matt

I am about to give up on RBG CCB all together. I can't seam to get things configured so I can take my props in Vis and build them in any of the editors. 

Are there any videos on the pixel editor?

They need more videos on "how to" from start to finish. Like when you recieved your CB100D how to configure it, then configure Visulizer, then S.E, and S.S. and P.E.   Maybe if I could get theis figured out, I might be able to build a show that includes my pixels....  And they need to be pretty stright fowars "for dumbies" type.  

I am trying to do 4 arches, 2 on each string, and I can't get anything to match up. Never mind see it in P.E.