Light-O-Rama Forums

Programming smart pixel advice

Phillip W

Ok i finally bit the bullet and ordered the stuff to out line my house and windows in pixel strips with e1,31 board. my question is how do i lay these out when programming them since every pixel is addressable? should i do the windows in a group one to the next one? then the out line?  if i could just get started would be great.

Hey Phillip,

My home is completely outlined in pixel strips using e131. I am not completely sure I understand your question but I use Superstar and use keywords to address them and set up my grid. In S4 I understand there is no need to use keywords anymore.

If you are referring to the visualizer set up, to each its own. My windows are all a prop on there own, my roof line is a prop, my lower roof line is a prop, corners(verticals) are their own prop, garage a prop, porch a prop. Sequence Editor they are all grouped as mentioned above. Is this the info you are seeking?

yes, im sort of wondering how to start laying them out in a sequence, i understand channel lay outs with no problem. ive watched videos on how to add several channels of rgb at once in my sequences. im still wondering best practices to add them, but you did bring up some ideas for me about using each window as a prop or a section programmed together. im not understanding using words but i do have the s4 beta and i like the ability to add in the windows as props but im trying to figure out if there is a way to add the rgb chans just as easy.

Edited by Phillip W

You are using S4 and I hear the pixel editor is great. You are a step ahead of me. It also sounds like you are not using Superstar, I strongly suggest you do but, it is not necessary, just much easier.

The keywords I spoke of tells SS the props are DMX so when I export from SS to SE it adds all the RGB channels, names and addresses for me - I just group them up for organizational purposes. Its considered a "back door" method but I think its great.

With S4 and the pixel editor, I have no clue, yet.  S4 has ways of doing what your after I am sure, I just don't know them.

~Matt

thanks im just trying to wrap my head around starting channel lay outs. i bought 10 pixel per meter since my viewing distance is about 150 ft from street. so at 4 ft im looking at 121 pixels then times 3 cause each pixel contains 3 rgbs, of course i wish i had at least one strip so i could verify my math lol. then do i make the very first pixel chan 1? (which means it will be 1,2,3?) im not even sure im asking the right questions lol. is there anybody who has there house outline done that shares their sequences? if i could see how they are laid out it might make since lol thanks for taking the time to help Matt.

Phillip

Edited by Phillip W

Not a problem Phillip, glad to help if I can.

You are very close but I don't understand the," so at 4 ft im looking at 121 pixels" part. At 10 pixels per meter and assuming your reel is 5 meters (standard), you will have 50 pixels per strip (about 16'4"). So 4 feet would give you roughly 12.5 pixels - maybe 121 was a typo.

3 DMX channels (1,2,3) is in-its-self ONE RGB channel. So, your 50 pixel strip will have 50 RGB channels which is 150 DMX channels.

Yes, you would address your first pixel universe 1, channel 1,2, and 3 (or any address you wish to start at). Your next pixel would be universe 1, channel 4,5, and 6 - and so on.

your right, a sequence would probably help. I have a few from last year that are simple, pm me your email and I will send it.

Edited by saxon

This is usually unique to your preferences. Some like to start there layout from the top of the house some from their yard. I layout my configuation in a way that makes sence to me, someone else looking at it would probably think it's confusing.

As for your start channel. It is partly going to depend on where your controller is located in relation to your pixels. ie If your controller is on the right side of the house & your doing your eaves it wouldn't make much sence to have your first pixel address on the left side. You really need to know how many pixels are going to be on each section of the house where your using them. You only want to do this once. If you do your layout for 30 pixels on one section then you get your pixels & discover you can only use 29, do you really want to go back & have to change all the channel addresses. If it was the last  on the string no problem just delete it, But if it was on the first string then it can change the addressing to everything after that.

ok thanks. im doing 7 windows and the eves. i have everything measured out. i also have a santa house im going to do. just trying to figure out what im doing but my lights are preordered and wount be here till June. im making a mounting structure to help speed up the install and take down.

got your email, ill send out shortly.

Yeah I measured and then measured against the strips. I have 6 windows and eaves and I mounted them on PVC and yes, set up and take down is a breeze!!

Following this thread closely...I started using RGB last year and went with a 180 Pixel tree and used Xlights/Nutcracker to sequence it. So now as others I want to extend my RGB to my house. This will involve 7 windows a door arch and the house eve over my garage area..I premade window frames for all the windows and will exchange the leds on the frame with 12v ws2811 square nodes. For the Eves I purchased Pixabulbs thru DIY. I want to use  SE 3 or 4 when It becomes fully available (Post Beta) but can I maintain the 35 sequences I have? I know I have to convert my channels to RGB but how do i maintian how they have been sequenced..color wise?

You only want to do this once. If you do your layout for 30 pixels on one section then you get your pixels & discover you can only use 29, do you really want to go back & have to change all the channel addresses. If it was the last  on the string no problem just delete it, But if it was on the first string then it can change the addressing to everything after that.

AMEN to that!  I did that when I measured and figured out how many GE Color Effect bulbs I was going to have on my eves.  Ended up having one less on several of the segments.  Fortunately for me it was not a big problem to have the last pixel missing.  However it's yet another thing that will change for 2015...

PLAN, CHECK, PLAN, and then PLAN and CHECK some more before you start sequencing.  It will save you lots of time!