Light-O-Rama Forums
LarryDrumAZ

Smart Screen blocks install

Windows 8.1 smart screen blocks install of version 4.0.14.  No issues with earlier versions of S4.  Tell it to install anyway and works fine.

Edited by LarryDrumAZ

I had an issue where smart screen blocked the LOR registration.

Had to turn it off to get LOR to register the software. 

It didn't even appear it just blocked it outright. During resistration LOR said it could not connect.

I remember reading someone else having a issue with smart screen so I desided to disable it & voila resistration worked!!!

Unfortunately, there is not a lot we can do about programs like that.  That includes Antivirus programs that like to give out false positives.

We've tried to tell companies, and at best we never hear from them.  At worst (like MS), they suggest we give them tens of thousands of dollars to be one of their 'partners' and they will make the issue go away.

We will however put some documentation together about it, and how to get around it.

I don't have Win 8.1 but probably will end up with it soon, so this is somewhat of a naive question. Is this Smart Screen always active in 8.1 or is it because you use IE as a browser?

Smart screen is enabled by default in Windows 8/8.1

I believe Smart Screen first showed up in IE8 and now is incorporated into windows explorer as well.

Doesn't sound to smart to me!