Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel Problem

sasmuse

Hello!
Channel 4 on my 4th controller has developed a problem...I think. Initially, it worked as expected. However, now it is always on whether the show is running or not. Additionally, sometimes it will work while the show is running but it lags in turning off.

I've checked the cords; all is well. I've double-checked that I haven't double-assigned the channel, and I haven't. I've read here that it could be a "bad triac". Considering that the only thing I know about a triac is how to spell it, I was wondering what one does to fix it?

Do I need to get in touch with LOR tech support or is it something I can fix? Please let me know.

Thanks for any and all help!

Sally

If it is a bad Triac, you will need to replace it. However, I would try to see why the Triac failed in the first place before you replace it, otherwise, it may go out again. How many amps are your running on that channel? Is there something that is causing a short?

I'm running three 50-light strings on that channel. It's approximately 1.02 amps max, and on that controller for channels 1-8 the entire load is 11.68 amps. I am comfortably under the 15 amp limit per side.

Sally, It's not difficult to replace the Triac; it only has three leads soldered to the board. If you are not comfortable doing the repair, perhaps you know someone who can solder. Contact LOR support and they will send you a replacement Triac. Otherwise, you will have to send the board back to LOR, but contact them just to make sure.

Don't know which board you have. Did you have to install the pigtails or did it come completely assembled in the case? Check where the pigtails for that channel attach to the board and make sure that there are no wires contacting the adjacent wires (even one strand will cause a short). I am by no means an electronic expert, but it sounds like maybe something caused a short on that channel.

Hi Denny,
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. This is one of the showtime units and is in the metal enclosure; it's a 1602w and came fully assembled. It's on it's second season.

Once the weather dries up, I'll open the box and do some troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Sally

Sally,

You mentioned in the intial post that sometimes the channel does turn off. A triac will normally fail in an on state. I have had one fail and it was in a partially on state. So when I went to 100% on, it would brighten but would NEVER switch off completely.

Have you tried doing a full rest on the board? Powering off, disconnect the comm cable(s), setting the switches to 00 and then powering on for 10-20 seconds. Power off and set the ID switches back to what you desire and reconnect the comm cable(s), then power up.

Ir a reset does not work then from my experience, contact lightorama support and let them make a judgement on what they want to do. The customer service with LOR is far above most companies around these days.

Chuck

Thank Chuck! The only thing I haven't done is a reset. It's been raining here in the East in what seems like forever, and now they're calling for snow and ice!?!:shock:

After we get a dry spell, I'm planning on doing the reset. Hopefully I can get to this before Christmas but if not it will be a christmas week project.

Sally