Light-O-Rama Forums

Import From Visualizer

Dinosang

I noticed the only way to import your props is from the Sequence Editor but only if you have the props in the preview file which means putting together another prop file. That is time consuming and a real pain. To many different files to work with for something that is supposed to be a complete software suite. Why can we not have a standard Channel configuration file so we can use in all the programs. Every time I upgrade we get the warning when if you save the new file will not be backwards compatible but the only reason for change is to make people upgrade. I have been upgrading for years and I do not mind paying for my upgrades but it is supposed to make things easy for us instead we have to keep rebuilding prop files from scratch and we cannot even import files properly within the same software suite. We were told to be patient and we have been but it appears we are getting what was supposed to be avoided a bunch of programs patched to look like a software suite instead a complete integrated editing solution as promised.

Sorry for the rant but as I went to ask this question my frustration took over. lol

Because this is supposed to be fun!   :)

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm confused on your rant a little. I've only built my props once. Well except the ones I didn't like and then rebuilt them. But that was by my choice and not because the program made me do it.

If you export your channel config file and save it, then it's always there when you start a new sequence. So there is a standard file for yourself to use because you created it. Always add new channels at the bottom and export again with any new changes. Give it a new name with the date in the extension name so as not to get confused later.

As far as backwards compatible, before you save, do a save as and give it a new name. Then you have the old and the new. But most likely will never use the old again, unless you uninstall your new upgrade.

Make sure the names and channels in SE and the visualizer match.

I guess it's possible for the props to not save, but it's always worked for myself - but I'm new - only 3+ years so have only upgraded twice. I do agree it's supposed to be fun so I hope you figure out what's giving you this grief.

Good luck .

Oh yeah - as always - I may be washed up in my thinking and someone smarter might need to help you out....

Edited by Mega Arch