Light-O-Rama Forums

A few silly questions

Plumber Plays with Lights

1 How to share a sequence via email?

2 How to post a Youtube  video on the forums?

3 Do y'all put the lor rgb controllers in a housing?

4 Thinking about buying one DMX prop do I need a DMX controller for a DMX fog machine?

5 Any other uses for Light o Rama controllers during "off" season?

I am not to computer savvy so use small words. I got a few sequences last year from a few members, and want to be able to help newbies the way they helped me. As far as the rest of the stuff, I was just wondering.

Thanks,

Wes

1) send the sequence's lms file.
2) When creating a new thread or responding to a thread, there is a icon for "link".  Clicking on it allows you to enter a URL address for the page you want to have linked in your post.
3) The Cable Guard cg-1500 is a popular enclosure to house a power supply and cmb16 or 24 board.  If you do a thread search for "enclosure", you'll find a bunch of past threads on the subject.
5) Some use their controllers and lights for landscape lighting.

3)

I originally got into LOR for year round landscape lighting - Christmas was an afterthought.  As a result of all that, I have controllers out all year long so they must be protected.  I have three AC controllers (that currently between them only carry five channels during the off-season).  Two are in my attic and the third is in the garage so they are all completely weather protected.  There is also a ServoDog in the attic (only used for one input and one DC control line output).  In the front yard, there are three 16 channel DC controllers, another ServoDog (used for three inputs currently), and two SanDevices E6804 controllers.  Most of that is inside a brick column and are weather protected.  On my website there are photos of some of the year round stuff. 

http://newburghlights.org/Landscaping.html

For your DMX fog machine, you would need a DMX USB dongle to plug into your computer.  I don't know if the directors will handle DMX as I don't use them.

1 How to share a sequence via email?

might try George's upcoming class.
he always speaks English.
I've been through a couple of his classes and recommend that it's time very well spent.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/35579-working-with-sequences-obtained-from-others/#entry327494

And thanks for the plug Daniel. I appreciate it.

This is an excellent time of year to work with people, because it's almost exclusively folks who are serious about their obsession/hobby who hang around Christmas light forums (and classes) in April.

Edited by George Simmons

Another question. Who knows where I can reach the people behind the "All About the Lights" parody. I think that song perfect.

Another question. Who knows where I can reach the people behind the "All About the Lights" parody. I think that song perfect.

Hit the Light o rama Facebook. It was great seeing the idea put out there and then people trying to put there own reditions out.

One more question. Does the lor Rob controller put off heat? I'm look at buying a enclosure and wondering if a plastic one can handle any heat that might be produced.

A little, but not much. People routinely put LOR controllers of all kinds in plastic boxes. I have (or had) two 16 channel DC controllers in 8x8x4 electrical boxes that are left out year round. No problems at all.

I use CG 1500 enclosures for my LOR AC card and DC card. With the dc card I put the power supply and card in the same case.

I tested overheating issues in the summer with the enclosure doors closed and rgb strings set to white. In 30 minutes the enclosure was warm but not hot.

What is a CG 1500? Here is a link to my preferred vendor.

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16

I use CG 1500 enclosures for my LOR AC card and DC card. With the dc card I put the power supply and card in the same case.

I tested overheating issues in the summer with the enclosure doors closed and rgb strings set to white. In 30 minutes the enclosure was warm but not hot.

What is a CG 1500? Here is a link to my preferred vendor.

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16

Have any Pics of the DC card and power supply setup in the enclosure? I'm about to do this when my order gets here from LOR but not sure how I'm going to do it

Here is how I did mine.  I just used a piece of Plexiglas I had lying around and it worked great.

post-12596-0-33354400-1424284044_thumb.j

post-12596-0-59230800-1424284134_thumb.j

They are all packed away. But, I just use a piece of plywood...cover the entire back with it then place the p/s and card on the plywood.

I use "L" brackets to mount the p/s. Since wood is not conductive I just screw the board into the wood without spacers.

Holiday coro makes some nice pieces that are more precise. Go here to see it. But I put my p/s on top and dc card on bottom. Holiday Coro is side by side.

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Light-O-Rama-LOR-CMB24D-Mounting-Kit-p/641-kit1.htm