Light-O-Rama Forums
Dcroc

DMX doesn't display in Visualizer unless...

So it is necessary to have the listener running for the visualizer to work even if not actually controlling lights (and must have control lights turned on)?  Does this mean that I must have my DMX dongle as well as the 485 and a E1.31 controller connected just to sequence and see the visualizer?

In order to keep the control lights checked you must have the 485 plugged in, just like in versions  3xxx   to be able to see dmx in the visualizer.  This is a major inconvenience when you use a separate lap top for sequencing.   Hope they fix in subsequent releases.

In order to keep the control lights checked you must have the 485 plugged in, just like in versions  3xxx   to be able to see dmx in the visualizer.  This is a major inconvenience when you use a separate lap top for sequencing.   Hope they fix in subsequent releases.

As of version 4.0.6, you should only need dongles attached if you want to control lights over those dongles.  You should still be able to control the Visualizer for those dongles' networks without needing the dongles themselves.  If you discover otherwise, please let us know.

I haven't tried it yet to confirm.

Using 4.08.   Attempted with real sequcnce and also created New clean sequence and visualizer file with only one lor channel and 20 dmx pixels (E1.31).

confirmed LOR network assigned for at least universe #1,   

No 485 adapter.

Create short easy color fade across the pixels.

Checked use lights (opened sequencer with control panel).  

Set visualizer to display

ran sequence.  No output on the visualizer

opened view menu and found the control lights was now unchecked

plugged in 485 adapter.

checked control lights

set the visualizer to display

ran sequence and now the DMX pixels displayed as they should.

removed the 485 adapter, restarted LOR and visualizer with the control panel, checked the control lights radio button

ran the same sequence again and no DMX output to the visualizer.

Control light radio button again turned itself off.

(same type of issue with previous 3.xx versions re: the control lights switch not staying on without the 485 adapter.

Today's Beta release will fix several of these issues and will hopefully reduce the amount of confusion.  

Just a little background on all these changes and the Listener:  We are trying to position the Listener as the new standard in the suite for sending commands to everything we do.  That is eventually going to include sending to other programs in the suite and to all hardware - IP/DMX based or not.  We started this cut over in (if I remember correctly) S3.  Previous to 3 we used to send everything via a different internal process.  That process however is not up-to-snuff when it comes to advanced networks.  

3 introduced the listener in order to get the suite to work with DMX devices.  In S3, we used to send DMX data through the old process for the Visualizer and then through the new process for everything else.  In this initial S4, the listener is now responsible for ALL DMX (E1.31 or hardware adapters), and LOR Enhanced networks communications.  The old process is only responsible for normal LOR networks.  Basically the Visualizer used to follow an exception, now it follows the rule when it comes to DMX.

S4 also introduced a new protocol that we use to send data around, both internally between programs and on the wire to controllers.  The existing LOR protocol is excellent for what it was designed to do:  work with what are probably marginal data networks and slower computers for low channel count networks.  The explosion of cheap pixels and networking means that we need to move forward. 

Since sending commands is one of the most important parts of the suite, it is not something we wanted to cut over all at once.  We also need to support the vast majority of users out there that still only have a couple of controllers.  We expected growing pains so we have been cutting stuff over piece by piece.  The beta has been great to ferret out those things, since how we use the software may not be the way most others do.

tl;dr->

Today's release will:

1 - Always start the COM listener if you have Advanced or higher if you have the control panel loaded.  Previously we checked to see if you had a network that needed it.  Now we just start it because....

2 - The Listener no longer requires you to have a DMX network defined in the Network Preferences in order for it to send data to the Visualizer.  That means that DMX based channels should work like they did in 3.x (with the exception of needing the listener running).

Of course, this may expose other problems.  Thanks for testing all this stuff!  

Finally installs in my XP machine with no issue. Visualizer seems a lot less laggy, but still won't run smooth on my older machine with the 512 channels of dmx I added this year. Just time to upgrade the puter. Wouldn't be so bad, but finding an I5 or I7 chipset that will play nice with my Delta 1010 pci soundcard seems impossible.

Edited by Dcroc

Running LOR v4.0.14 PRO on MS-Windows 8.1 on a Dell Latitude E6530 laptop.

I have the control panel running

I have Edit->Preferences->DMX Preferences->Allow DMX Editing is checked.

I have my E1.31 DMX networks configured in Edit->Preferences->Network Preferences

I do not have any dongles installed.

The control lights will not stay checked.

Control visualizer is checked.

I do not see a Comm Listener window.

My DMX RGB channels do not show in the visualizer.

My RGB CCB channels do show in the visualizer.

My normal AC channels do show in the visualizer.

Edited by jstorms

OK, I just tried this with an incredibly simple visualization.  The sequence was created in S3, but being played with S4.00.14.  The sequence has about 30 channels of LOR RGB, and 750 channels of E1.31

OS is Windows XP on an old Dell desktop

All my DMX is E1.31 with all 4 universes defined in Network preferences.

Both LOR networks defined in network preferences.

Visualization only had 6 RGB lights on one of the universes drawn.

Only three RGB lights on one LOR controller were drawn in the visualization.

There are no dongles hooked up on this PC

As soon as I opened the control panel, a listener opened with all four universes listed

In SE, checked control visualizer

In SE, do NOT have control lights checked.

Play the sequence in SE and the 9 RGB lights drawn (three LOR, six E1.31) worked properly in the visualizer.

Did you have to make any other changes? Built a new sequencing machine from some old parts last night.

Drew some of my e1.31 and a couple test AC channels. Brought in a sequence from S3.

Only AC channels operate in visualizer.

Nothing other than what I described in post #33.  Note that the visualization was built in S4.00.14

Last night I was trying to make sure the UDP splitter was working.  Could only get one of the visualizations to work.  Trying to determine why not, I found that the one visualization would not work even without going through the UDP splitter.  Both visualizations I was trying to use had lots of E1.31 and the one that worked also had a bunch of LOR network channels as well.  Not sure if it was something new or my problem.  I was not able to spend much time on it as I really needed to get to bed.  I will play with it some more tonight.

The UDP Splitter will most likely no longer work with new communications stuff.

That's a bummer since I needed almost 2000 fixtures last year and will be well over that this year, so I really need three visualizer sessions. Guess there will be no way to see everything until the lights are up...

Unless I'm really missing something. If Visualizer is still limited to 1000 fixtures, we're screwed...

Since this has to do with the DMX Listener I have a question and a statement.

First, all of my sequences have worked in the new visualizer. I have all universes set to Multicast, but that will change by November.

Second, when I open a sequence, open the Visualizer and then the Control Panel/DMX Listener, then play the sequence, all runs as expected.(**Note** my entire display is E1.31, only 6 AC channels but ran in DMX mode.) 

When I close the sequence, but forget to Unload Light-O-Rama in the systray, the next sequence I open, I get a pop-up that says it will not control the visualizer because the control panel is running. I have to close the sequence, Unload Light-O-Rama, then re-load the sequence first, then the DMX listener. After all of that, everything works again.

Is this normal?  I can get a screen cap of the window if needed.

It would be nice to load the listener at the beginning of a session, and leave it on til the end, and everything work 

That's a bummer since I needed almost 2000 fixtures last year and will be well over that this year, so I really need three visualizer sessions. Guess there will be no way to see everything until the lights are up... Unless I'm really missing something. If Visualizer is still limited to 1000 fixtures, we're screwed...

You DO know about the new DMX Pixel fixture, RIGHT?  I would take a look at the help file, especially the 'Whats New' section all the way back to S4.0.0.

The UDP splitter was NEVER officially supported, and still isn't.  

Since this has to do with the DMX Listener I have a question and a statement.

First, all of my sequences have worked in the new visualizer. I have all universes set to Multicast, but that will change by November.

Second, when I open a sequence, open the Visualizer and then the Control Panel/DMX Listener, then play the sequence, all runs as expected.(**Note** my entire display is E1.31, only 6 AC channels but ran in DMX mode.) 

When I close the sequence, but forget to Unload Light-O-Rama in the systray, the next sequence I open, I get a pop-up that says it will not control the visualizer because the control panel is running. I have to close the sequence, Unload Light-O-Rama, then re-load the sequence first, then the DMX listener. After all of that, everything works again.

Is this normal?  I can get a screen cap of the window if needed.

It would be nice to load the listener at the beginning of a session, and leave it on til the end, and everything work 

The easiest thing to do is load LORTray at system startup and just let it be.  Then you don't have to remember anything.

You DO know about the new DMX Pixel fixture, RIGHT?  I would take a look at the help file, especially the 'Whats New' section all the way back to S4.0.0.

The UDP splitter was NEVER officially supported, and still isn't.  

I know of the existance of the DMX pixel feature, but absolutely nothing about how to use it.  I have not spent much time in Visualizer since S4 came out as I have spent most of my S4 playing in PE (which I still only slightly understand).  From the little I have looked at the S4 Visualizer, it looks and feels EXACTLY the same as it did in S3.  I have found no differences at all.

Previously, since S4 came out I have largely only played with PE (which still has only the one page welcome on the help menu), I had incorrectly assumed that the S4 help pages had not been written.  However in response to your question I looked at help from Visualizer and found that there actually are help files.  My bad for assuming  :angry:

I have only done a quick look in the help files about the DMX pixel fixture, and although the existence of it is mentioned several times, I have yet to find any instructions on how to use it.  I will do some more reading tonight and see if I can find it.

Getting this to work would remove at least one of my major question marks about S4..

I think you will find the Visualizer to be a very nice update from the previous version. I have a bit over 10k channels, down a bit from last year, but I can see my entire display at once. Prior to S4, I could not say that.

I went the opposite direction of you. I started with the Visualizer, then the PE Visualizer, and have only scratched the surface of PE. Been working on converting existing sequences over to the new Intensity files. 140 Mb file down to a 1 Mb file and change is quite an accomplishment.

Just my thoughts

Edited by Ron Boyd

As OP of the thread, I can say all problems have been addressed and fixed.  Everything I do seems to work, at this point.  Now, onto other issues, such as not understanding one thing about PE.

The easiest thing to do is load LORTray at system startup and just let it be.  Then you don't have to remember anything.

I did as instructed. Here is the error verbiage I get when I open a sequence with the listener running.

http://ErrorCapture_zpsh6gz7vgf.jpg

The issue is not that the Listener is running; the issue is that the Show Player is running.  When the Show Player is running, it should have complete control over the lights, and so the Sequence Editor refuses to attempt to control the lights.  If you would like the Sequence Editor to control the lights, disable shows, which makes the Show Player shut down.  When you next start up the Sequence Editor, that message should not occur.

Well duh! As I slap my forehead. Thanks Bob. I will try that right now.

Edit:

Yep, that's the thing to do.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Did you have to make any other changes? Built a new sequencing machine from some old parts last night.

Drew some of my e1.31 and a couple test AC channels. Brought in a sequence from S3.

Only AC channels operate in visualizer.

I don't know if its good luck or good management my issues disappeared with the new beta....even with the recall.

I seem to be in the opposite condition here at home.  I can see my DMX lights in Visualizer, but not my LOR lights.  This is on my primary sequencing computer which is Windows 7 Pro with currently LOR version 4.0.24

I created a visualization that has two trees - in both cases I used the tree wizard.  The first is a 12 CCR tree using the LOR regular network and LOR IDs 01 - 0C.  The second tree is a 16 string tree with 50 DMX pixels per string.  It was configured with three strings per universe, starting at universe 1.  The last string uses Universe 6, channels 1 - 150.

I then used SuperStar to create a short sequence using the Visualization created in the previous paragraph.  I then exported that sequence.

In network preferences, I started out with the DMX universes unconfigured, and the LOR Regular network configured on Comm port 8 which is where it setup a dongle when I installed one just to get the drivers to load.  There were no dongles connected for step one of the testing. 

I then load the exported sequence in SE.  When I try to play the sequence, with the Control Visualizer checked, the DMX lights show in the Visualization, but not the LOR CCRs.  Does not matted if I have Control Lights checked or not.  Next test was to plug my spare LOR dongle in and try again.  Same result.

Just so I can say I tried it, I went into network configuration and changed DMX universes 1 - 6 to use E1.31 in unicast pointing to an address that is not used for anything.  Exited everything.  Restarted the control panel, then Visualizer, and lastly SE.  Same result - DMX lights play on Viz, but not the LOR CCRs.

Last step is I added a single light using the LOR regular network controller 11, channel 1 to both the visualization and the sequence.  That channel simply was switched on and off a few times.  Tried to play again and the single bulb played along with the DMX pixels, but not the CCRs.  Turned Control Light on and retested with the same result.  Note that this one test channel was created in SE, but was NOT in the visualization that was used to create the SuperStar file, but was in the Vizualization that was displaying  the latter portions of the test.

So what am I missing here?

Is the LOR network configured as an Enhanced network or not?

I did not realize that you had to specify one or the other.  However I just looked at Network Preferences and I see that there is now an additional box.  Can I assume that this means that a network can be one or the other, but not both?  Guess that means a bunch of network changes are in my future...

Please confirm or update that the following controller types have the following capabilities:

Controller type    Support enhanced          Support 500K speed

16 channel DC      Yes with new firmware     No

24 channel DC      Yes                       unknown

Input Pup          unknown                   unknown

CCP                Yes with new firmware     Yes

G2 16 channel AC   No                        No

8 channel AC       No                        No

I missed it, what is the difference between a regular network and an enhanced network?