Light-O-Rama Forums
Dcroc

DMX doesn't display in Visualizer unless...

DMX channels don't display in visualizer unless I have the dongle and controllers plugged into the computer. When I do hook up all the hardware,there is serious lag, and even freeze, in visualizer and the lights (both lag and hang togther). I have tried the enhanced engine mode on and off. DMX doesn't display at all with it off. Computer underpowered, maybe? (PIII, Win XP, 2gig ram). Had no issues with AC channels. Would 1 universe of DMX be enough to cause that much lag?

You need the listener to be running....

You do not need any controllers attached, but in 4.0.4 you should have the USB adapters attached as there is a small bug in the Listener.

Is that bug where we need to shut down the comm listener, open a sequence and then, re-start the listener? Cause that's what I'm experiencing.

Now that I got viz to work and the com listener to start, I am having the same issue.  None of my newly created/ converted DMX elements will work in the viz, even if I shut down the listener and restart.  Hopefully the bug, as Mike said, will be fixed in 4.0.6.

What you are describing is not what that bug fixes.  In fact, I doubt any of you have even experienced the bug I described - It's actually going to be BV02 or BV03, was never reported by a beta tester, and was only found during load testing on our end.  I only recommended that you have the adapters hooked up so as to not eventually run into that bug.

You have some other configuration issue still.

Dmx dongle, which is a USB adaptor, must be plugged in for my dmx to work.

I have an entec pro compatible device from holiday coro. Plugged in, dmx channels work in visualizer. Unplugged they don't.

Makes it kind of a pita if you program on more than one machine.

Mike, Do you need the dongles plugged in for LOR networks, DMX networks, or both? 

That would be a MAJOR problem  If the answer is both, not only would I have to carry around three dongles to whatever computer I'm sequencing on, but I would have to go out and buy several additional ones.  Since I run year round landscape lighting, I can't take the dongles normally connected to the show computer off so I can sequence on another computer.  Essentially ALL of my sequencing is done on one of two other computers.  If using my laptop, I would have to have a USB hub with three dongles (each on a hopefully short cable) plugged into that.  Kind of a pain on a commuter train!  If that's only an issue for DMX, it won't bother me since my only DMX is E1.31, however for some other people it will be a problem...

Note that I have even tried Vis in S4 as I'm still trying to get the Pixel Editor figured out (and that I've only got a small part figured out so far).

You should NOT need the dongles attached, but let me get Bob.  He's the listener guru.

As of version 4.0.6, you should only need dongles attached if you want to control lights over those dongles.  You should still be able to control the Visualizer for those dongles' networks without needing the dongles themselves.  If you discover otherwise, please let us know.

DMX in the Viz or Pixel Editor does not work for me at all, dongle or no dongle.  Listener is running with network setup.

You have some other configuration issue still.

Thank you SAX for posting that the E1.31 universes need to be setup.  You do not need the dongle plugged in, BUT you have to have ALL of your network setup completed.  Heck, all I need now is to hook up the RGB strings, everything else is done.  SHEESH, feels like November.

Edited by LarryDrumAZ

Your welcome larrydrumaz.

Since no dongle needed I will unplug and test it. Hopefully I can take the dongle back to the show computer.

During all this testing my pc power supply died. It is back up and running so I can get back to testing. How dare it go bad after only 7 years.

• Like 1

DMX in the Viz or Pixel Editor does not work for me at all, dongle or no dongle.  Listener is running with network setup.

Please run the LOR Diagnostic tool, and send the results to me (bob@lightorama.com).  In the email, please clearly state:

(1) Your forum username, and

(2) This thread's URL, which is:

forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/35617-dmx-doesnt-display-in-visualizer-unless/

Thanks.

How dare it go bad after only 7 years.

The nerve!

Please run the LOR Diagnostic tool, and send the results to me (bob@lightorama.com).  In the email, please clearly state:

(1) Your forum username, and

(2) This thread's URL, which is:

forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/35617-dmx-doesnt-display-in-visualizer-unless/

Thanks.

Got it working Bob!  I sent you the info anyway, maybe you'll fine something else I need to fix.  :D   A section needs to be added to the help files that states you have to have all of your network configuration done in order for DMX pixels to work in the Viz.

The nerve!

Got it working Bob!  I sent you the info anyway, maybe you'll fine something else I need to fix.   :D   A section needs to be added to the help files that states you have to have all of your network configuration done in order for DMX pixels to work in the Viz.

Already done.  DD01.

• Like 1

Everyone should already know this, but verified DMX to work proper without DMX dongle plugged in.

All dmx ports are set in the network config and LOR port set to comm 3 with dongle. New visualizer file created to match sequence editor in 4.0.8. The visualizer will play the AC channels but not the DMX channels. Control panel running and listener is showing all dmx open. Control visualizer is check. No Pixels in the visualizer are coming on. Help...

Ok found the issue. Control lights has to be checked for some reason.

That is new. I have never tried this without control lights on. I will try. If it has issues then a trouble ticket needs submitting.

After all my issues, mine work without the control lights checked.

Edit - I looked at the wrong option.  Control lights must be checked for mine to work.

Edited by LarryDrumAZ

You do need to have 'Control Lights' turned on if you are using DMX.  This is because the SE will NOT send data to the Listener (who will in turn send it to the Visualizer) unless that is enabled.  I'll be sure to note that in the documentation update as well.

Edit:  Ok, Bob just eMailed me and let me know that I may be mistaken about this.  Of course, that isn't too far fetched considering my advanced age :P  Bob says that we should have landed on not needing control lights turned on and it should have been that way from the start of S4.  I'm sure he's right since there are days I can't remember my own name.

I'm in the middle of about 20 different things at the moment.  Can a couple of you double check what happens with the current beta release, control lights on/off, and if it affects the visualizer or not?  Everything should work in the Visualizer with 'Control Lights' disabled but Control Visualizer enabled in the SE- that includes regular LOR channels, DMX channels, Intensity files, etc.....

I was wrong.  Control lights off - viz does not work.  Control lights on - viz works.

You do need to have 'Control Lights' turned on if you are using DMX.  This is because the SE will NOT send data to the Listener (who will in turn send it to the Visualizer) unless that is enabled.  I'll be sure to note that in the documentation update as well.

Edit:  Ok, Bob just eMailed me and let me know that I may be mistaken about this.  Of course, that isn't too far fetched considering my advanced age :P  Bob says that we should have landed on not needing control lights turned on and it should have been that way from the start of S4.  I'm sure he's right since there are days I can't remember my own name.

No, on further investigation I'm wrong.  You do need Control Lights turned on in order to see DMX in the Visualizer.

We'll get this fixed, but I'm not sure if it will be fixed in time for the next beta release.