Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel editor sequencer

sax

So I have been playing around in pixel editor. A couple things that are not user friendly to me.

1. No play button. Right click to select play....why not have a button for that.

2. Timings. It would be nice to create timings within pixel editor. It really is a huge pain to go between programs to get a good timing. Actually, to have the ability to nudge in pixel editor would really be what I want. But short of that, timings created within the PE would be welcomed.

3. Preview windows. When I see the large preview window it makes sense enough...I mean you can only see the entire display when in that screen. But when sequencing, the preview window is split. The right window shows the display. But, I don't understand what the left window is for. It shows my previous effects but it doesn't let me choose it again. What is the purpose of the left window?

4. Effects. Creating effects on a different pop up screen....I get it. You can create something nice. But is it possible to have like a clipboard of my favorite effects on the sequencing page that I can select rather than having to go to the create screen for every one? This is very cumbersome and tedious.

Maybe for longtime xlights users this is all normal. But I have never really used xlights so it is not intuitive to me. Is there any chance at looking at some of these and maybe revisiting how they currently work?

That said, I am trying to learn and utilize the PE. I know it will take time. I do like the ability to create effects over a group of my elements, the ease of creating my elements and many more aspects of the program. As I get more comfortable I am sure it will get easier. But please consider these items for improvement.

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide thoughtful feedback.

1. No play button. Right click to select play....why not have a button for that. 

I agree, although there is a shortcut - you can double-click on the prop name to play the visible portion of the sequence. If playback is in progress, you can double-click again to stop.

2. Timings. It would be nice to create timings within pixel editor. It really is a huge pain to go between programs to get a good timing. Actually, to have the ability to nudge in pixel editor would really be what I want. But short of that, timings created within the PE would be welcomed.

While you cannot create a new timing grid in the Pixel Editor, you can adjust timings, as well as add/remove marks. With a sequence open, make sure the Timing Grid drop-down is set to a free-form grid (just like the Sequence Editor, you cannot adjust the timings of a fixed timing grid). Next select: Sequence > Settings > Lock Timings (so that there is no check mark next to the Lock Timings menu item). Now you can drag timings, just like the Sequence Editor. To add or remove a mark, right-click on the grid and select Timings > Add or Timings > Delete. You can also lock/unlock the timing marks from the right-click menu. Any changes you make will be saved back to the LMS/LAS file.

3. Preview windows. When I see the large preview window it makes sense enough...I mean you can only see the entire display when in that screen. But when sequencing, the preview window is split. The right window shows the display. But, I don't understand what the left window is for. It shows my previous effects but it doesn't let me choose it again. What is the purpose of the left window? 

The left window displays "thumbnails" of effects that you have already used in your sequence. You can click on any of them and the selected effect will start playing in the right-hand window. Also note that the text under the Effect button changes - this means that it is available for placement into the grid - by selecting a region, right-clicking and choosing "On" from the popup menu, or selecting a region and using the "n" shortcut key. Eventually, you will be able to drag effect thumbnails onto the grid, but that doesn't exist quite yet.

4. Effects. Creating effects on a different pop up screen....I get it. You can create something nice. But is it possible to have like a clipboard of my favorite effects on the sequencing page that I can select rather than having to go to the create screen for every one? This is very cumbersome and tedious.

This is the intent of item #3 above. 

Thanks Matt. I will play with the timings. Been using superstar exclusively for 2 years now, so the sequence editor tricks are not at the front of my mind. Dragging them will do the trick.

Also, the thumbnails are working better for me. It is a process to learn and adjust. But, since there are no tutorials yet I am learning as I go. And yes, this allows me to not have to continuously go back and forth to create effects.

Love the addition of video effect.

Keep up the good work!!!

Can I use the new pixel editor and save the files other than using the new intensity data form.

No other formats are supported at this time. What did you have in mind?

Matt