Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JHolmes

S4 Show control updates? (aka: not just about pixels)

Hey folks,

I've been keeping up-to-date with the new pixel integration and sequencer upgrades, which I'm very excited for, but what about show control? Are there any plans or improvements in that arena?

Naturally, many displays run on a loop so the scheduler handles it well but for some of us, more interactive options would be very useful.

For example, some kind of touch-screen interface or GUI that allowed me (or visitors) to select individual songs/shows would be amazing. I know many displays are drive-bys but for those walk-up/walk-through displays, the ability to let guests (or operators) pick songs/shows without going through the whole process of "on-demand > select file > play until X time."

At the very least, an On-Demand option that simply said "play once" instead of "play till X time" would be lovely.

I only voice slight frustration because I noticed that when a show went into shut-down mode, it stopped all interactive triggers, which meant timing the transition from one show to another or "intermissions" to "shows" was a hassle. We also used interactive triggers to create an E-Stop button...which sort-of worked as long as the shows weren't in "shutdown mode" but then failed entirely because the interactive trigger kept shorting out and e-stopping the show.

That's where the idea of some kind of instant-touchscreen system came to mind.

A PAUSE button that froze everything and allowed you to "play" again from that point (instead of starting at the beginning) would be super useful for me too (but I'm not sure if anyone else would want that).

Those are all my disconnected thoughts.

What are yours?

Good ideas.  Again all those years ago when this all started, you would never dream of having a computer out in the yard with an attached display, let alone count on everyone out there having their OWN computer their pocket with internet connectivity.  Today things have changed.

I know that Dan is growing dissatisfied with the Hardware Utility (for the those that don't use them, the HWU is used to set up interactive shows for the MP3 directors).  It is one of the oldest programs in the suite and is a bit klunky.  Redoing that will mean re-doing how we do triggers which will mean we also have to redo scheduling/interactive shows run on PCs.  We should look hard at those ideas when we do. 

Mike,

Thanks for the insight! When it comes time to discuss that, I would love to be part of the conversation. I've been pushing the limits of what LOR can do from a scheduling/interactive perspective and would love to chat about options.

When do you think you'll be looking at this? Maybe we can find a time at the expo to chat over lunch?

Yes   improved interactivity is needed!          MIIP users have been using its features over what LOR provides for five years.    I want to plan a MIIP retirement party.    Until then its features are an important part of my show.    If you are accepting wishes and ideas I have contributions to make. 

MIIP provides   A playlist with times for each song shown on the drive by guests phone.   Complete support for RDS.     Request a song be bumped to next to play.    Complete statistics tracking of guests and votes.    Customizable Governors to prevent songs from playing too often and being requested repeatedly from same IP.

this forum messes up album links so here it is spaced   vimeo dot com/album/3334015

ThatChristmasLightsHouse.com 

Edited by ItsMeBobO

I would 2nd the request to be able to specify the numbers of loops for a show. In the show editor on the musical tab a place to specify number of loops or until the scheduled time ends. Also doing via the on demand tool as mentioned above.

Currently to do a one pass show I put one song in the musical tab and the rest in the shutdown tab, then tell on demand or the scheduler to play the show for 1 minute. It works, but is hacky.

I'll see John's second on the loop control, and raise by one on the pause control.

It would be great to be able to stop the show for a live announcement and then begin with the next song in the rotation instead of going back to the beginning.