Light-O-Rama Forums

Cutting mp3's and Song Ideas

iensell

I was wondering what is the best way to shorten an MP3 track? What software is being used? Also any song suggestions that have turned out amazing sequenced to music?

I shorten/splice audio for free. I have a thread in the coffee shop called Free video editing for all. I don't know if it has been updated to say stuff about audio, but if you post it there/send an email and say what you need, it will be done soon.

The best free program is Audacity. 

• Like 1

Can't comment on the shorten/splicing audio as I have not attempted that.  Regarding a song that turned out well -- Trans Siberian Orchestra's Boughs of Holly.

Here's a link to my video of it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0biWC0gHWU

This was my first year at attempting my own sequencing and video of the results.  Video quality is ok -- I need to hone my video skills though as I wasn't able to show some of the pieces that were up by our road. 

Hope that helps -- I found most anything by Trans Siberian Orchestra to be great sequencing music.

Tom

+1 on Audacity, great freeware.

I agree with Darryl.

Come on people. It was asked about a MP3 sound track. Lets not over complicate this. Nothing at all was said about a video clip. K.I.S.S. is a very good thing to know how to do.

I have used Audacity in the past and it's great and free. However I wanted a Video Editing software program, and I finally settled on AVS4YOU. It's not free but it also came with a Audio Editing Features. (similar to Audacity) Here's a link if your interested http://www.avs4you.com/

As far as editing I had 5 songs I really wanted to sequence, but that would have taken a long time and I really didn't want to do the whole songs. I finally settled on a Melody of 4 songs, then sequenced the entire last song. I picked the parts I wanted and combined them into 1 sound file (copy and paste) I just faded one song part out as I faded in another, etc...  I like this approach because you end up with a variety (qty) of songs but don't have to sequence them all and keeps the pace of the show moving along.

I was going for a Secret Agent theme of sorts, the songs are;
Theme from Hawaii Five O - about 20 secs of song
Theme from Pink Panther  - about 20 secs of song
Theme from James Bond - about 20 secs of song
Theme from Mission Impossible - about 20 secs of song
and that all leads into Secret Agent Man - Full song

Here's the Video

Alan... Edited by default

Thanks for all the response On song choice. I've learned that some songs sequence way better than others and some are just tough. Lol Got audacity up and running also and was able to chop up some music. Appreciate it!!!

Thanks for all the response On song choice. I've learned that some songs sequence way better than others and some are just tough. Lol Got audacity up and running also and was able to chop up some music. Appreciate it!!!

Congrats.  I also use Audacity to cut my songs down to 2 minutes long.  Sometimes it is not possible to get them that short, but I try to shorten them as much as possible.  He is not free, but The Demented Elf does do audio editing and will cut songs down to whatever length you want.  I've never used him for that purpose, but I have heard good things about his editing work.  His voiceovers and second to none and we have used them for almost every year of the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I use an older audio editor that came with my video editing software I purchased a long while back, I use Magix Music Editor, which also allows me to save the file in a lot of different formats, .wma, .wav, .ogg, .amr, and .mp3 just to name a few.

+1 on Audacity. Its done everything I've ever needed audio-wise, and I know little more than a pittance of all it can do.