Light-O-Rama Forums
sax

CS03-Pixel Editor renames all DMX props to Universe 1

Report Number: CS03

Module: Pixel Editor

Software Version: 4.0

OS Version: Windows platform 7.0

Description:
When adding props to the "default" preview, the program renames all my universes to 1, which causes an error to be generated that has been previously been said to be caused by channels being named the same.

I am unable to rename my universes.  I change the name, hit save and when looking at the properties again it is still universe 1.

The problem occurred when I de selected "seperate universe # for each RGB string" while creating a new prop, that shared a universe.  Once I did this task, all my other props became universe 1 without allowing me to edit existing  prop's universe.

My CCR props did not have their names changed.

Repeatability: Constant

Not a bug.

Here's how to make it right.

In the prop window, un-check "Separate Universe # for each RGB string".

It was doing the same thing to me earlier.

Did that. But I can't rename any of the props. They all stay 1 with the error occurring after the save.

Huh! When I unchecked mine all was well. Sorry, I'll hush now.

Could you please provide some more step-by-step detail? When you say "rename the prop", at first I thought you were changing the name field in the upper left of the prop definition window. However, from your description of the issue, it sounds like you are changing a value in one of the rows in the "Univ #" column? Are you trying change the first row, or do you have "Individual Start Channels" checked and changing a later row? Screen shots may be useful here.

Inside the prop definition pop up window, it is the universe number that automatically changes to #1 no matter what I had there previously once I Deselected the "Separate Universe # for each RGB string" button.

Scenario:

I created several props with this button selected.  I typically have each prop its own universe, so this is normally needed.

I then created some Arches, that are dumb strips that will require continuous numbering in a single universe for more than one prop.  So I had to deselect this button.  Once I did this, all my DMX channels were automatically renamed to Universe 1.  

I also get the long error that you have explained to be caused by channels being the same number.

I have tried to go back to each prop and deselect this button, and then try to change the universe back...but, I am unable to get the universe number to change to something other than 1.  

So, the error keeps occurring and I am unable to correct it.

See attached screenshot of one such prop.

Made a copy of my Preview.  Deleted my arches.  This allowed me to change the universe numbers in my new preview.  

Old preview, which was the included default preview,  I deleted the arches.  It did not help.  The error kept occurring.  Deleted the Preview.  Copied my working preview.  Added arches.  Working as it should.

Painful.  But at least arches are easy to create and preview copy is easy enough. 

Sounds like others had the joy of the universe being renamed automatically though.

But, my preview is working now and I will continue to try to get my yard created.

Thanks,

Sax

Thanks for posting the screen shot. I have been unable to reproduce the error, but I am glad you were able to work around it.

Matt