Light-O-Rama Forums
harrison0550

Initial thoughts on version 4.0

Lower channel count displays will not see anything dramatic in the S4 Vis.  If you had no problems with lag in simulation in S3, then it stands to reason there should be no problems with lag in S4.

The biggest improvement is going to be seen for the thousands of channels people.  Not only did V4 Vis introduce the DMX Pixel Universe fixture (1 fixture as opposed to 170), but the new rendering engine is MUCH faster.  I hesitate to say it, but background size shouldn't be AS BIG of a concern with the new engine as opposed to the old.  I ran some 1920x1080 tests (well, whatever the dimensions were to fill the screen including the boarders/header/etc), and they looked good.  I will stop short of recommending everyone increase the size of their backgrounds......

I also ran some CCR tests.  At the time we did NOT have intensity files working yet, so it was raw SE data being sent rather than the much improved data.  In S3 visualizer we were happy to get a 12 CCR matrix (600 pixels/1800 channels) to run at about 90-95%.  In S4 Vis, I gave up at around 100 CCRs (almost 5000 pixels/15000 channels), and was locked in at 60fps (the refresh rate of my monitor).   With intensity files, the amount of data sent is reduced so they are expected to increase performance even more.

The maximum speed at which DMX can be sent is approx 40FPS, so we were still exceeding the DMX send speed by 50%.  Even if the Visualizer drops to 30FPS, you would still get the 90-95% that S3 Visualizer could perform at.

I'd also like to point out that all of these numbers are truly meaningless since they are dependent on a lot of other factors.  The old style rendering engine was completely disconnected from your computer's hardware acceleration.  For the most part it would run the same on a machine with a $10 graphics card vs a $1000 one (there was a slight improvement, but not one worth $990).  The best news is now we can blame your computer when the Visualizer doesn't perform well.  If you are getting a lot of lag in the Vis, we simply tell you to upgrade the video card :)

The new S4 Rendering Engine is heavily dependent on your computer's hardware, especially the graphics card and monitor.  The 100 CCR test above was done on a computer with a very inexpensive graphics card (A GT620 which has now been replaced by the newer GT720).  For those of you who have deep pockets, I suggest this one.  Even your monitor plays into the equation as its refresh rate will govern the top FPS you will see.  If you have a 60hz monitor, you will see around 60fps idle.  If you have a 70hz monitor, around 70fps.

I was u able to get the visulaizer to play with my sequences in s4. Uninstalled and installed 3.12 and they worked again. But I modified one of my voz files and hit save now it won't open in 3.12. I even tried creating a seperate voz with just a ccp tree and it would play

Once it was updated to S4 version it will not open in S3 again.  Did you run 4.0.2 or 4.0.0 when you first saved it?  If you ran 4.0.2, the Vis made a backup of your file and you should be able to find it in the same directory as the original.  Otherwise you will need to re-create the file.

Otherwise you will need to re-create the file.

And that right there is a truly excellent example of why spending 59 bucks a year (Carbonite or whomever) is a no-brainer for this kid.

For those of you who have deep pockets, I suggest this one.  Even your monitor plays into the equation as its refresh rate will govern the top FPS you will see.  If you have a 60hz monitor, you will see around 60fps idle.  If you have a 70hz monitor, around 70fps.

:lol:  :lol: Hahahahaha! Yes yes OR you could just dump in an old R9 290X, GTX 770, GTX 780, or GTX 980 but hey if you just have $5K laying around send it to me and I will send you 2 consumer grade cards that will render anything you want/need in 4K. I'll even throw in and SLI bridge for your $5K.  :ph34r:

Once it was updated to S4 version it will not open in S3 again.  Did you run 4.0.2 or 4.0.0 when you first saved it?  If you ran 4.0.2, the Vis made a backup of your file and you should be able to find it in the same directory as the original.  Otherwise you will need to re-create the file.

good thing I did it on my laptop and no the show computer then. I do all my playing around on the laptop for this reason.

ok Guys I need big time help. The I5 has been updated with an I7 Ivy Bridge 3770CPU @ 3.40GHz.

Asus P8B75-M Mother board

DDR3 Dual 16gbytes of Ram

GFroce GTX 650

Channels 52727 - Old lay out takes 12 minutes to load and file size is 22,181KB

Channels 52727 - Old layout takes 15 minutes to load and file size 623,161KB

New Blank Channel Config loaded takes 5 minutes to load with 30,560 with no programming.

I understand that PE will help if I use it to run the pixel and remove them out of the SEQ editor.

I just don't understand why I am so slow to open and the I7 did not help anything. 320 bucks shot down the damn drain.

The load times are almost entirely determined by the hard drive throughput. A solid state drive would help with boot times and load times but it's still going to take a big file many minutes to load.

With the new channel config it takes 5 minutes to open. Once I get the pixels moved to the PE I am sure it will be a lot faster. Big problem is opening the older sequences to get the programming... LOL That 15 minute wait comes back in the picture. The visualizer is GREAT and does not pause like it use to do.