Light-O-Rama Forums
ed26105

Individual pixel control

So what I gather so far is the efficient method of storing pixel commands is done via the pixel editor.  It works hand in hand with sequence editor during playback.

However, the Pixel Editor does not import the RGB pixel data from an existing S3 sequence.    Apparently that means if you want anything you already created in S3 to work with the pixel editor, you will have to create the effects as best you can with the effects tool.  There is no import function for existing programming into the pixel editor.

The pixel editor operates at the object level rather than at the channel level.  This will NOT allow you to easily program individual pixels, nor is it intended to do so.  I understand you can create custom props and group props, but I am still not sure that will allow the individual pixel movement I have already created or might want to create.  The pixel editor effects are many, and allow for infinite possible combinations of lights and colors, but still might not do everything you want it to do. 

However, individual pixel control is still available in with the sequence editor.  What is not clear is whether or not I can program individual pixels in the sequence editor and also have those same pixels programmed with the pixel editor.  “Can you have a pixel controlled by the sequence editor, ie universe 1, channels 1-3 and also have the same pixel controlled from a prop in the pixel editor via the Intensity File for the sequence?”

Good question.  I would like to be able to have this option as well.  My roofline, for example, was mostly programmed last year at the individual pixel level.  However, I did do some programming in xlights and then pasted into SE (presumably could do this in the pixel editor this year).  It would be nice to be able to do both.

Does anyone know the answer?  Can you have a pixel controlled by the sequence editor and also the intensity file?

During playback, a pixel can only be controlled by one of:

• the Sequence Editor file
  • the intensity data file created by the Pixel Editor
  • the intensity data file created by SuperStar

There is nothing in the LOR Suite that prevents you from *sequencing* a pixel in multiple tools. But when it comes time to run your show, the data for that pixel should be in one and only one of the 3 locations listed above.

If I sequence one set of pixels in Sequence Editor for one part of a sequence and the same set of pixels in Pixel Editor for a different part of that sequence, when is comes to run that show how does it know what location at what time to pic the right file? Or as long as we are not controlling them at the same time?

Matt says the pixel should be in only one location to run the show.  I have a 100 pixels in a bell, and I chase up/down, horizontal, and by knowing pixel layout, I can swirl the bell.  I will have to see if a custom prop in pixel editor can do the same for me.  But I think if you program individual pixels in the sequence, it won't easily be converted into the intensity file.

I also have movements on poles and eaves that I don't see any easy way to do with the pixel effects, so probably still need to do those in sequence editor. 

Well that would kind of defeat the purpose for those of us who create effects by hand to even think about going with the Pixel editor then. We would just have to worry about plugging up the sequence editor like we did in S3. so in the long run this will only help out some but will not address the issues for those who are running 10,000 pixels or more. Maybe I am confused so I will pose the question like this. if I do all the sequencing that I need done in the sequence editor, then open the sequence in the pixel editor and create effects in there being careful not to over write what was created in sequence editor when it comes time to play the show how will both be merged so that both are visible   during the show period ?

Edited by Renns lights

I really like the pixel editor.  But I am really really disappointed that it and the sequencer do not play well together!  I have RGB pixel stuff I have already done in the sequencer, and I was hoping to improve or enhance it with the pixel editor.  No can do.  Likewise, I would like to work in the other direction as well, create initially in pixel editor and enhance in sequencer.

I should also note that I make extensive use of Its-Me-Bob-O's 3rd party tools as well as a bunch I have written myself in Visual C#.  I especially like the clipboard flipper. Those tools are useless with the pixel editor.  What's the chance of documenting the format of the Intensity files?

I asked the same question about the PE importing data from a SE sequence.  Dan replied and said it was on the list of improvements / add-ons coming.

Here is what Dan said....

"We are working on an enhancement along those lines. Once you have created a preview and assigned your pixels to the same LOR Unit IDs/Channels or DMX universe/address then you will be able to see and modify those props in the Pixel Editor. We are planning releases on Wednesdays and Fridays during the beta (if required for an enhancement or bug fix)... We hope to have this enhancement in tomorrows release but worst case it will be in next Wednesday's release. 

More details on how to use this feature will be available when it is released. "

Edited by LarryDrumAZ