Light-O-Rama Forums
Ron Boyd

RB02 - Pixel Editor: Where do the elements save?

Since I sequence on 3 different computers, is there a way to save the Pixel Editor visualizer to a mutual file, such as a Dropbox or Onedrive folder? This way, I don't have to create everything on all 3 PCs.

Has anybody found the file yet? Can LOR give any info?

Ron, There's an xml file which seems to have the prop data from the pix ed in....and this is W7....C:/users/your username/appdata/local/litorama

"I Will Roger that". Thanks for the info. I'll take a looksee.

Thanks Phil. That was the file i was needing. Copied it to a file in Dropbox, added it to one of the other PCs and all the work up to that point was on the other machine.

Whew!!

Great, I guess thats another file that we need to keep track of and backup, particularly since its "hidden away"

Great, I guess thats another file that we need to keep track of and backup, particularly since its "hidden away"

Sounds like a request to consolidate or at least document required files. Certainly a reasonable request especially during a beta period. Consider it passed along. 

We will be changing where some of that stuff is stored for a future beta release - probably the one after the next.  That way everything you need to backup/save/etc will always be in the LORData path (My Documents\Light-O-Rama), just like always.

Thanks for letting us know!

Yep, thanks guys. Just finished my Pixel Editor visualizer today. I'm now working on the new regular vis files up to DMX where needed and to match everything up.

For some reason, on my second PC, the "App Data" file was not created. I added S4 to that PC after this thread was started.

So Mike, was this changed over in yesterday's release? If so, is it in the:

"Program Files (X86)" --> "Light-O-Rama" --> "LORPixelEditorControls.dll"

"LORPixelEditorEffects.dll"

"LORPixelEditorLib.dll"

If these are the files I'm looking for, can I copy them to a Dropbox folder and add them to the other PC. I just want to confirm before I mess something up. I will not do anything until you confirm.

Thanks a bunch,

Ron

Edited by Ron Boyd

The AppData path may still be used for stuff in S4, however no USER data will be saved there.  You no longer need to back up anything in that directory, only your Light-O-Rama directory (usually in My Documents).

If there is stuff in there, it is internal to the system and will be recreated as needed (either while a program is running, or during an install).  Basically 4.0.6 went back to the old ways of storing your data:  My Documents\Light-O-Rama.

So, is there a way to extract the Pixel Editor Visualizer and put it on another machine? Just so we don't have to re-create the PE Viz for other PCs.

If you move everything from the Light-O-Rama directory from one computer to another (which is they way you should always have been doing it), the PE Visualization should come along for the ride.  If it doesn't let me know and I'll get the discussion going again amongst the developers.

Ok, just so I do this correctly, copy the directory in the (X86) folder to a Dropbox folder, then on the other PC, replace the directory with the copied one from Dropbox, correct? Not a problem if I screw that up, since it's a copy. I can always just re-install if needed

No.  ALL YOUR DATA should now be in your LIGHT-O-RAMA DATA directory.  You shouldn't have to do anything with that directory any longer.

Your LIGHT-O-RAMA data directory should be in MY DOCUMENTS if you did not change it when you installed.  

Maybe I'm not explaining this right or I'm not understanding what you're trying to explain (Which is most likely the case), but I seem to be missing something here.

Let me try again.

I have the visualizer done on my main computer, the one I sent you the specs on yesterday. I would like to have the same visualizer on the second PC as well as the main, Both PCs, without having to recreate it again on the second. I'm confused about how to go about this. I'm sure it's something simple and I'm over thinking it.

If you move the LOR DATA DIRECTORY (my documents\Light-O-Rama) from the one computer to the other, ALL the files will be there for you to use.  The only thing that doesn't update is the 'Recent Files' menus.  You have to 'Open' whatever file you want first.  You'll also have to re-create your network setup.

S4 is now just the same as S3.  Everything you need to move is in My Documents\Light-O-Rama.

If after you move that entire directory and you try to OPEN the file you want if that file is not there, let me know.  

The Pixel Editor Visualizer did not move with this directory, which is what I'm trying to accomplish. It's not a biggie any longer. I recreated the PE Visualizer on the other PC. I had already started to do that, but had stopped hoping there was a simple solution. I finished it up last evening. I just have to do some re-naming of the props so it will be exactly like the other PC.

Thanks for the help Mike.

Ok, that could be a problem then.  Let me get Matt on it.

Those files in........C:\users\your username\appdata\local\litorama still seem to be updating in 4.06.

I just made a change in the PE setup and they updated.

LORPixelEditorData.xml

LORPixelEditorWindows.xml

Phil, for some reason the "appdata\local\litorama" did not generate on the second PC. That's why I'm re-visiting this thread. I'm sure it's something in my setup or because it's an older PC, or something. Even if I add that copied file to the second PC, I still don't have it.

Moving the 2 PixelEditor files out of the appdata path is on my to do list, but it will not be in today's beta release. It will probably be in one of the releases next week. I'm sorry this has caused so much confusion, but we will make it so it meets everyone's requirements.

Matt