Light-O-Rama Forums
Ron Boyd

S4 Pixel Editor: Spanning Universes

When creating a 16 string by 50 pixel tree in the pixel editor, on string 4, 8, 12 and 16, the universes normally overlap into the next universe, ie., string 4 would be Universe 1, channels 451-510 (Pixels 1-20) and Universe 2, channels 1-90 (pixels 21-50). The Pixel Editor says Universe 1 channels 451-600. 

If I start the 5th string at Universe 2 channel 91, will the above, fourth string, span Universe 1 and create the needed 90 channels (30 pixels) in Universe 2?

If not, then I have a few pixel controllers to sell and buy a couple of different ones. It's problematic, but not a game changer. It would be nice for it to span Universes on these strings.

Since you can change the channels in a DMX Universe to 510 from 512 already, that's not the issue here. I could change the strings to 42 pixels and get almost a full universe from 4 strings, but all of my sequences up to now will need to be changed. For two pixel trees, that's a lot of editing.

Thanks,

Ron

In the pixel editor I found that under the preview tab the drop down menu for prop has the pixel layout and shows exactly how you called for your pixels to be laid out.

Not seeing that. I'll look a bit more. I didn't put this in as a bug because I didn't know if I was just missing something or what.

If you could elaborate a bit more on your finding, that would be quite helpful.

Thanks.

I knew it had to be something simple. Once I "Un-Checked" "Separate Universe # for each RGB string", everything fell into place like it needed to be.

Still seems like a bug, though, as there are no such thing as channels 513 - 600 in any given universe, right?  Maybe should generate an error message or something?

Aaron, once I unchecked that box, it all went in like it was supposed to. I knew the Carry over column meant something.

• Like 1

I, too, have a few questions on crossing universe boundries.  I've used the visualizer to create 8 corners for my house.  Each corner has 75 pixels.  My first corner starts on u2,C1 (universe 2, Channel 1).  Since those are created using the "master pixel" method, I would set the first corner as U2, Pixel 1, and the second corner as U2, Pixel 76, Third as U2, Pixel 151...

Now comes the problem.

My forth corner would start at U2, Pixel 226.. that is to say, U3, Pixel 56 (channel 168).. BUT.. there are two unused channels in there.  The pixel actually starts on channel 166.  Does this mean I have to change to a 510 channel universe? 

The other problem I have is the Arch wizard.  I have 12 arches (yes, 12) of 40 pixels each.  Using the wizard, I can create the first 4 arches, but it says that pixel XXX in arch 4 doesn't have a channel assigned.  Going to that pixel and changing it over to the next universe and setting it to pixel 1 runs into the same problem as above.  Again, are we limited to 510 channel universes or is there another way around this?

I'm using controllers that allow me to set consecutive channels, disregarding universe boundries.  I don't believe it allows me to set for 510 channel universes.  If I have to use 510 channels per universe, there will be a significant amount of channels that can't be used because I can't get a string to "skip two channels in the middle" so that a pixel lines up on a universe boundery.

Edited by MazdaFan

I, too, have a few questions on crossing universe boundries.  I've used the visualizer to create 8 corners for my house.  Each corner has 75 pixels.  My first corner starts on u2,C1 (universe 2, Channel 1).  Since those are created using the "master pixel" method, I would set the first corner as U2, Pixel 1, and the second corner as U2, Pixel 76, Third as U2, Pixel 151...

Now comes the problem.

My forth corner would start at U2, Pixel 226.. that is to say, U3, Pixel 56 (channel 168).. BUT.. there are two unused channels in there.  The pixel actually starts on channel 166.  Does this mean I have to change to a 510 channel universe? 

The other problem I have is the Arch wizard.  I have 12 arches (yes, 12) of 40 pixels each.  Using the wizard, I can create the first 4 arches, but it says that pixel XXX in arch 4 doesn't have a channel assigned.  Going to that pixel and changing it over to the next universe and setting it to pixel 1 runs into the same problem as above.  Again, are we limited to 510 channel universes or is there another way around this?

I'm using controllers that allow me to set consecutive channels, disregarding universe boundries.  I don't believe it allows me to set for 510 channel universes.  If I have to use 510 channels per universe, there will be a significant amount of channels that can't be used because I can't get a string to "skip two channels in the middle" so that a pixel lines up on a universe boundery.

Just to clarify, all of the questions you are asking pertain to the Visualizer, correct?

Have you tried to run your pixels where a pixel's address actually spans 2 univeres? 

I may be wrong but all of the pixels I've used don't like it. Thats why most of the controllers use 510 channels per universe. I know the sandevice automatically does this.

510 is pretty much the standard.

It's not that you are changing to a 510 channel universe - a universe will ALWAYS have 512 channels.  It's just in the pixel world we ignore 511 and 512.

Pixel universe fixtures in the Visualizer (and this is all documented in the help file) are REQUIRED to start with Pixel #1.  There are simply too many variations of different pixel hardware to try to support all of them separately.  Instead, requiring a pixel fixture to always start on pixel 1 and to have no more than 170 pixels (510 channels) allows the support of ALL hardware universally.  

If you have an item that spans a universe, like for an example an arch where the left side is pixels 150-170 of universe X and the right side is pixels 1-20 of universe Y, you need to split that item into 2 fixtures - the left side and the right side.

In the world of RS485 networks/LOR controllers, losing 2 channels would be a big deal.  In the world of E1.31 where you can have 500,000+ channels in the LOR software (we support up to 999 universes), losing less than 2000 channels is a drop in the bucket.  

In that case, what are the maximum number of fixtures that can be contained in a prop now?  I believe it used to be 64, is it now 170 to accommodate a full string of pixels?

No, the maximum number of fixtures per prop is still 64.  That is plenty since I doubt any person has a SINGLE prop that has more than approx 11,000 pixels (170*64)

On the other side of the coin, I doubt anyone is going to have a prop where there are 64 fixtures and each fixture has an average number of pixels less than 3. (170 pixels / 64 fixtures = 2.65 pixels per fixture)

I'm assume that you've installed and taken a look at the help file for S4 and how Vis handles pixels now?