Light-O-Rama Forums
Dcroc

XP...won't install and deleted S3 and all files

Won't install on my XP desktop. Kept getting error, and retry simply repeated error message.  Had to abort install. It then deleted S3 and all the files. Not a trace of it anywhere on my computer. Not good. Major panic.

Please tell me that on top of losing everything, I do not have to burn one of my 5 downloads to reload S3 it into the same computer?

Edited by Dcroc

Please tell me that on top of losing everything, I do not have to burn one of my 5 downloads to reload S3 it into the same computer?

Hopfully you backed up your sequencing files before you installed 4.0

Your not restricted to 5 downloads just 5 seat licenses which means 5 different computers.

You might be able to use system restore to get S3 back

• Like 1

Won't install on my XP desktop. Kept getting error, and retry simply repeated error message.  Had to abort install. It then deleted S3 and all the files. Not a trace of it anywhere on my computer. Not good. Major panic.

None of our installers will delete your sequence files.  I would not panic too much as we have never had an install delete a customers data files.... 

You should report the error you received so we can look at it. 

If you changed the default folder your old sequences might be there. Do a search on the hard drive.

• Like 1

Yeah,have the sequences backed up. Still a pita,though. Since XP isn't supported anymore I can't update it, or even get it to verify the perfectly legal legit OS. This is probably the issue,as it will not downlaod and install the updated files needed in XP to run S4. It should have left the computer unchanged when the install failed. Tried system restore, and with a restore point every day, it still won't restore windows. Each restore fails.

Dan, can you confirm if XP is no longer supported, or is Dcroc having some other issue? I have not seen anything in previous statements about XP not being supported.

If XP support really is going away, I will have to replace my show computer - not the end of the world, but something else to spend my tax refund on...

Having a netbook with XP this concerned me, but I can say that I installed S4 without a problem. One thing I did do, after reading this post was change the name of my LOR folder, removed S3 completely and then did a clean install of S4. I have used the sequence editor, visualizer, and verifier, again, without any problems.

Dan, can you confirm if XP is no longer supported, or is Dcroc having some other issue? I have not seen anything in previous statements about XP not being supported. If XP support really is going away, I will have to replace my show computer - not the end of the world, but something else to spend my tax refund on...

As part of testing we did install on XP.  We ran through testing of major features and things worked. We are not entirely comfortable with XP because once windows stops supporting an OS it can become more difficult to provide stable applications for it. We will at some time in the future announce a date when we will drop support for XP but that is not in the near future (not this year).. 

Not being able to verify XP was an issue before Microsoft dropped support. However, they were not very interested in fixing the issue. Hit a dead end with every effort to get help from them. This was a year before the end of it being supported. Can not download and install windows updates, and I believe this to be the root of the problem. This inability to update is a common problem with new installs of XP.

Also, to be clear, it did NOT delete the folder that the sequences are stored in. I also back them up, so I didn't lose anything. However, I imagine I will have to set the LOR and dmx networks back up, and maybe reload the drivers for dongles and such. If I can not find a way around my issue with XP, I will have to think about a new machine. This is also my recording studio computer, though, so this could keep me using S3 for a very long time.

Edited by Dcroc

Update:  Got past the problem with the microsoft .net framework 4.0 install, which is where is was hanging.   Still won't install S4, and now it won't even install S3.  I get the same error when installing either:  Error 1304  Error writing to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ApplicationData\Light-o-rama\firmware\ccr1500-v1.9.lhx

Any suggestions?

Edited by Dcroc

Hmmm... does that file exist already? If so, what happens if you move it out of the way?

Does your Windows user account have permission to do things like this? Are you running as administrator?

If the file exist, I can't find it.

Finally got S3 reinstalled.  Got S4 installed, but when I launched it, there was a problem finding another file.  Done with it for now.  Will download S4 to my Windows 7 or 8.1 machine and play with it there.  Gonna wait till it's better tested before going back to the show computer.

Edited by Dcroc

Sorry for the problem.  If you decide to try again and it happens again, could you please copy down the exact text of the error message, word for word, and let us know about it? Thanks.

No need to be sorry. I understand the beta thing.  Not my first rodeo, and I fully understand risk, and bugs.  I'll go back to it. Just wanna make sure all my ducks are in a row on my machine so I can rule that out as the cause of any problems. I loaded it on my win7 machine, and have had no issues so far. May load it into my 8 laptop, aslo. Haven't spent a ton of time on it yet, but I am liking what I see so far.  I'm guessing that I can't use files created in S4 Visualizer in S3?  Also guessing that sequences created, or modified in S4 sequence editor would not load correctly in S3 editor?

I'm guessing that I can't use files created in S4 Visualizer in S3? 

DevMike knows about all things Visualizer better than anyone else, so he will correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that:

(1) S4 Visualizer files are NOT useable by the S3 Visualizer.  This is true no matter whether it's a file newly created by S4 or if it's a file that was created by S3 but modified by S4.

(2) If you modify an S3 file in version 4.0.2 of the Visualizer, it will automatically make a backup copy of the S3-compatible file before modifying it to be an S4 file.  This is NOT true for version 4.0.0, though.

Also guessing that sequences created, or modified in S4 sequence editor would not load correctly in S3 editor?

Sequence files created or modified in version 4.0.0 or 4.0.2 should be fine in S3 (at least in relatively recent versions of S3).  However, if those sequence files use intensity files (as created by the Pixel Editor or SuperStar), those intensity files will not work in S3.

In any case, it is always a wise idea to back up your data yourself.  No matter whether sequence files, visualization files, or whatever.

Got 4.0.4 to install, but when I launch it, it can't locate the Light-o-rama.msi file, which I can't find any trace of on my computer.  When I do a system restore, and launch S3, it now has the same issue.  Only after I choose to "repair" S3 did the problem corrrect itself.

IE or Firefox? Either one, there will be a location that the file downloaded to, which you can access from the browser somewhere. The fact you can't find the .msi installer file sounds like it didn't download correctly, try downloading again from LOR or the mirror site and then try again. Good luck,

Bill

I actaully did the same thing I did with the S3 re-install, which was to "repair" it. worked like a champ.