Light-O-Rama Forums

Getting Timings Fast and Easy

jstorms

When I create a timing file and attempt to export it I get nothing,  No prompt no file nothing.  After the timing track is on the screen (timing creation works ) selecting export timing does nothing except on a poly file?  What could I be doing wrong? I re-loaded the newest version and reloaded the add on's.  I am selecting export timing from the menu.

I have seen it happen before. Usually, when I see it I reopen Audacity, it asks if I want to recover, I say yes, then I run the Poly again and it works the 2nd time. #JoysOfFreeSW

Figures, I was clicking "don't recover" and trying different things.  Recovered the project and it worked like a charm.

Thanks,

Larry

• 4 months later...

Wow.  There's a reason ListenToOurLights has my favorite sequences.  That's an amazing behind the scenes on the level of detail you go into.  Thank you John!

it looks like a very good video BUT..

Have you thought of maybe redoing it and possibly going just a little slower and really getting a new mic so you can be understood a little better. there is such a hum in the back ground that it is almost impossible to tell what you are saying... 

Especially for an old tanker/mechanic like me who doesnt have the best hearing around...

Thanks... Just my 2 cents worth and i really wish I could understand it better..

When I create a timing file and attempt to export it I get nothing,  No prompt no file nothing.  After the timing track is on the screen (timing creation works ) selecting export timing does nothing except on a poly file?  What could I be doing wrong? I re-loaded the newest version and reloaded the add on's.  I am selecting export timing from the menu.

Same for me. I am running an older version of excel ( 2010 I think )but I'm guessing that that's not the problem. I never clicked on this link yet, Link to Audacity to LOR Script: (I provide no support for this): https://drive.google...EJoQmpiUGM/view. Do I need to install something off here as well? What's it do?

P.S Spent some time south of Austin in June ( Buda ). Pretty awesome place and Salt Lick was a great experience as well!

Same for me. I am running an older version of excel ( 2010 I think )but I'm guessing that that's not the problem. I never clicked on this link yet, Link to Audacity to LOR Script: (I provide no support for this): https://drive.google...EJoQmpiUGM/view. Do I need to install something off here as well? What's it do?

P.S Spent some time south of Austin in June ( Buda ). Pretty awesome place and Salt Lick was a great experience as well!

After you create the Timing LABEL and Name it, You need to Export LABELS. Then you can use the perl script or use excel to modify

I do just that and nothing happens, no prompt or anything. I'm going to try to reboot the pc when I get home from work tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

I did just that and nothing happens, no prompt or anything. I'm going to try to reboot my PC in the morning and see if it makes a difference.

I was able to get the first part... I made the timing and it works fine... 

The problem I have is you went so fast on using your script that I couldn't keep up. 

Do I need to save each lable in a seperate file? I saved it in a file I made with the LO()R and Music in it for Batman Smells and saved the poly etc. all in the same folder.

I do not know whare I need to save or put the perl script you wrote at..

I did download and install Perl and your script. I could not figure out how to get your script to work because you went threw it so fast even pausing and restarting your video didnt help me.. I have no Idea what you are typing in your COMMAND PROMPT as you never explained it.. 

I can open your script in note pad and I do have the beat, poly, etc. all saved with no problem.

Just cant get past that part.. 

Any idea what I am or am not doing to get it right?

Thank You..

I Do Like you Videos and have watched most of them more then once and have learned a lot from you and them.

I have not been able to get your script to work.. I just cant figure out how you opened it and put the other labels in it. I do have the labels all on note pad but am lost after that.

Edited by Old Sarge

I was able to get the first part... I made the timing and it works fine... 

The problem I have is you went so fast on using your script that I couldn't keep up. 

Do I need to save each lable in a seperate file? I saved it in a file I made with the LO()R and Music in it for Batman Smells and saved the poly etc. all in the same folder.

I do not know whare I need to save or put the perl script you wrote at..

I did download and install Perl and your script. I could not figure out how to get your script to work because you went threw it so fast even pausing and restarting your video didnt help me.. I have no Idea what you are typing in your COMMAND PROMPT as you never explained it.. 

I can open your script in note pad and I do have the beat, poly, etc. all saved with no problem.

Just cant get past that part.. 

Any idea what I am or am not doing to get it right?

Thank You..

I Do Like you Videos and have watched most of them more then once and have learned a lot from you and them.

I have not been able to get your script to work.. I just cant figure out how you opened it and put the other labels in it. I do have the labels all on note pad but am lost after that.

Once you save each LABEL to a seperate file you can use the perl script or Excel to modify your LMS file

if using the Perl script use the following commands assuming your file names are bar.txt, beat.txt, onsets.txt, poly.txt

audacity2lor.pl bar.txt 0 > output.txt 

audacity2lor.pl beat.txt 1 >> output.txt 

audacity2lor.pl onsets.txt 2 >> output.txt 

audacity2lor.pl poly.txt 3 >> output.txt 

Now the timings are all in one file called output.txt and you can copy and paste them in to the LMS file

Great job on this. Have used on several songs in the past week. Sure cuts down on the time to create a show. I went from be behind on my Halloween show, to being caught up and now adding a couple more songs.

Thank you for sharing this!

Thanks Grinch But I have NO IDEA where I am suppose to put that script..

I Don't have the slightest idea how to open and use Command Prompt to do it. It Looked like it was all done in command prompt on the video..

Thanks Grinch But I have NO IDEA where I am suppose to put that script..

I Don't have the slightest idea how to open and use Command Prompt to do it. It Looked like it was all done in command prompt on the video..

Depends on your version of Windows but Click on START and then RUN from the menu then in the window that opens type CMD.   You can place the Audacity script file in the same directory as the timing files if you want or save everything into the directory that is shown in CMD window that opened or learn the change directory command (cd) 

so I am understanding that is is something that has to be run threw or in the command prompt box? I know how to open the command prompt....

Just I dont know what to do after I do that.. I Have no idea how to use it or what to type to do things there...

I am more of a click it and paste etc. person or click it and it runs,,,, hahaha...

I have never taken any kind of computer programming, or DOS class.. Maybe that's why I am completely lost with using the command prompt to do things.

I have no idea at all as to what a  change directory command (cd) 

I guess I am out of luck on being able to do things using the script even though it looked really easy to do..

I am not schooled in computers at all.

I better not try to do things there or i will probably end up having to go get a new computer... hahaha

But I do Thank You For Trying to help me..

Edited by Old Sarge

sarge the perl script file needs to be saved in the folder that you have been using to do your timings in

Edited by ericm

every time I run the analyze for POLY, audacity locksup, I have tried the restart thing like john mentioned above but no luck....anything I can do to make it work or am I just stuck not being able to use it until I can get a better computer?

This is really cool. Thank you so much for putting this together. Look forward to trying it out tomorrow.

oh so I need to save the perl script in each folder where I put the timings in for each song.  

If I understand right I need to for example make a folder for each song, save the script in it and then work on it in the same file??  So I need to save a master script and copy paste it into the files to use it?? and then add to it there..

I did make a file example for my song saved everything there from the Audiacity files... so then please... step by detail what do I need to do??  I Hate being a pain but I am not computer savy other then the basics plus just a little... what do I type in to do the same things that were on the video... I was able to get the beat file etc. made and then I was lost... I did download perl etc.... 

Do I have to use the CMD PROMPT to do things... That was where he completely lost me on the video as I know nothing about the command prompt commands and how to use it... Is there a different way such as copy paste etc. to do it??

Thank You And I apologize for being so computer illiterate in today's computer age..

Edited by Old Sarge

Sarge you do not need to put the script in every folder. This is how I set it up.

I created a specific folder to store only the script on my C: drive. I just called it music (C:\music). In this folder I have the perl script and I save my exported files from audacity to this same folder. Then each time I am starting a new file I overwrite the previous files ex: onset.txt, bar.txt, beat.txt, poly.txt etc.

Hope it makes it clear as mud. If not let me know and I'll try and explain it a little better. I'm not real familiar (any longer) with dos commands so I simply created a word doc outlining all of the commands I would need to run the script each time I wanted. If you set your script up in the same manner I'll be happy to email you the word file if it helps.