Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR S4 Software

Bizywk

According to LOR's announcement, we're less than two weeks away from the unveiling of the LOR S4 beta version.  Awesome!     I have mixed feelings, however, about committing to a beta right now due to my current schedule tempo.

I may have missed it, but other than support for high pixel counts and a new pixel editor in the new PRO version (Both are greatly needed), has there been any discussion of what other new features made the beta release cut?  

I confess that if they simply raised the channel limit on the visualizer alone, I think it would be worth my risk and upgrade cost.

Still waiting with anticipation on the Spring Sale announcement too.   Gotta go practice my speed typing.          :)

Dev. Mike indicated the Visualizer will do a better job of rendering twinkle and shimmer effects. 

• Like 1

I keep looking, but still No S4 and no sale announcement.   The end of March deadline is coming quick........ 

Still 12-13 days until the end of the month. :)

Also, I've seen a lot of software released at 5pm (eastern) from LOR over the past years. 

I would think they are finalizing the installer and firming up their new software page on the website plus the last minute final tests. the last thing they want to do is release a product that's not perfect for everything they can test for. The consumer-base, us, will find everything they didn't which is why the "beta" release which is important for major changes to the software code. Give them a chance...they will do it when they are confident its ready.

I have mixed feelings, however, about committing to a beta right now due to my current schedule tempo.

In past, I use the beta to do my sequencing. I have found bugs and reported them. Once the final version is released, I update to it and I already have a lot of work done. This way, I'm not cramming to try to get more songs in the show. As we all know, when you take shortcuts and try to rush a sequence, it's not as good.

So, my point is, even though it will be a beta release, just continue sequencing as normal and you'll be ahead.

Good luck.

Beware, though, that I believe, someone said that files made with S4 will not be backwards compatible with S3. Once you save a file with S4 it will not open in S3. This is likely, given the new file structure. I wonder also if bulk editing of the HTML sequence file in a text editor is going to be a thing of the past.

Backup first.

I may install it on a second box initially before going full bore,

Beware, though, that I believe, someone said that files made with S4 will not be backwards compatible with S3.

This is true to a limited extent: If you use the new "Intensity Files" feature (such as created by the Pixel Editor), S3 won't understand them.  But it will understand "standard" sequences created by S4.

If you use the new "Intensity Files" feature (such as created by the Pixel Editor)

Bob Care to elaborate on these new intensity Files?

Any little nugget of info to keep me till the end of the month! :-D

Well snap!! I was hoping today was the day. I was hoping to get the visualizer drawn out in the morning while the family is still asleep.

LOL .. Go back to bed and when you get up it may be out.   Heading to town now to complete honey do list just in case it happens to come out today. WOW what a early Christmas present it would be.

Yeah, I too was hoping to be working with the improved visulizer today but when its ready, then they will let it out.

I hope S4 comes with a tutorial on how to quickly and easily transfer existing props/fixtures to the new Visualizer.

That would be sweet George. Right now I will take it any way I can get it. HaHa... Just to open my sequences faster is worth the price.

The Visualizer will take in any S3 visualizer file and convert it to the S4 formal - just like the SE can take in a previous version sequence and make it a new one.

In fact, there have already been a couple of Vis save file updates since the initial S3 release and no one noticed.